Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Captain

Default Re: Why do you write fan fiction?

Quote Originally Posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
    Oh, I'm so glad someone else realizes this besides me. Thank you for pointing it out here.
    I hadn't read the thread, or I would've said something earlier.

Seaboe

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    I don't write fan fiction, but am posting because the bolded portion is not true. While not all fan fiction can be published, some of it can. The Fandemonium novels are one example, as are all the published Star Trek novels. Closer to the type of fan fiction you meant is the Grantville Gazette and Ring of Fire stories.

Seaboe
    Exactly. Nearly every show now produces published fan fic--you can find them lining the shelves of many a bookstore, completely legal and making the authors an income. Also, some fan fic writers have gone on to become published authors of original works.
    <a href=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm204/whytewytch/Stargate%20Atlantis/IntheBloodsiggieBay.jpg target=_blank>http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...dsiggieBay.jpg</a>
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Because it allows for the adventures we love to keep going past the shows themselves. As much as anything else, I write this stuff because I want things like Stargate to stay alive.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    Because it allows for the adventures we love to keep going past the shows themselves. As much as anything else, I write this stuff because I want things like Stargate to stay alive.
    And Stargate is staying very much alive, especially when speaking in terms of fan fiction. Actually, I don't think that there's been so much support for the franchise like this since SGU was killed off(and no, I'm not saying it's the final series, because all it had was a season 2 finale, not a series finale). Since SGU got killed off, I saw a massive influx of Stargate fan fictions being written and uploaded, especially on fanfiction.net. Just goes to show you how well the franchise is still doing, even though MGM wants nothing to do with the franchise anymore.

Chief Master Sergeant JanineGrant2's Avatar

i used to write fanfiction for the "what if" factor. What can you do to change something you didn't like about a particular episode. I don't write fanfiction anymore but i continue to read what is posted on fanfiction.net because it is fun to read what people are able to create. I am currently writing a Stargate novel for MGM that I hope to get published.

Kate Heightmeyer's office or thereabouts...

At first, some 15 years ago to practice my English (should have done the same for my French - might have been better at it). Now, I'm just in it for the fun and to explore so many roads the shows didn't go on, or because they just wouldn't thread on those grounds at all (especially seeing as half of my SGA OTP is cannonically involved with someone of the male variety). And to give the female characters a chance to star, and for the male characters to take a back seat for once.

I don't intend to stop any time soon, though time wise I don't have as much of it as I once did.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus

icon courtsey by planet_tv || signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon
    Proper Stargate Rewatch still happening right now -- season 6 of SG-1

Im not a big fanfic writer (not like most here). Im not as good with words as some of the amazing ff authors I've come across in the Stargate fandom. But the fics that I did write I wrote because I had this idea in my head .. and I had the feeling I needed to tell the story. Not because I wanted someone else to read it, but because I wanted to write it. That has always been my first goal in any kind of art. I write the stories I like to read. I make the music video's I like to watch. I write and play the music that I want to hear. Not because I could publish it and get someone else to read it... (hell I'm dealing with that on a daily basis in acedemia already).

When it comes to my art forms (music being the one I'm invested in most but It can go for anything), I'm pretty selfish in a way I do it for me. And if someone else likes it in the process thats of course only a big bonus!

And that is exactly how art should be, Nanouk. The artist should create something for their own enjoyment, something that whispers to them in the dark of night and won't leave them alone until they create it. Art should never be created for the purpose of making money, although it would be a wonderful side benefit.
    <a href=http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm204/whytewytch/Stargate%20Atlantis/IntheBloodsiggieBay.jpg target=_blank>http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...dsiggieBay.jpg</a>
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Pistachio

I took to working on my SG-1/SGA/SGU fanfic when the franchise ended. It was a way of answering the questions the writers left unanswered. It also was a way of having fun with the characters and events we all loved.

Post Re: Why do you write fan fiction?

Hmmmm, at the moment? To read stories focussed on a fandom of interest, nurture my literacy skills and meet awesome people. In the beginning? I read way too much X Files fic, got an idea, wrote it down and got a good response. Stargate was my first love, so it was much easier to write and a much more fun universe to play around in

The Unfashionable End of the Western Spiral Arm..!

It's a chance to create and visit strange new worlds.
    To create new civilisations...
    And to boldly go where no writer has gone before.

And to get my creative mind working.
    "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
    Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
    Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
    Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
    I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
    To thy own self... Be true
    May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Quote Originally Posted by Starfist View Post
    It's a chance to create and visit strange new worlds.
    To create new civilisations...
    And to boldly go where no writer has gone before.

And to get my creative mind working.
    And hey what the hell Im I gonna do with my free time otherwise

First Lieutenant Nikki Alexander's Avatar

I write fanfiction for some of the reasons mentioned above, the fact that you get almost instant feedback, but also in the case of like Stargate, in the show some of the minor characters didn't really get that much attention and there were one or two that I liked, mainly Colonel Reynolds and Major Davies, who while they did appear in it a bit more then some, I still would have liked to have seen them more. So with fanfic you get to explore the minor characters more and flesh them out a little. And I like the ideas that people come up with and like others have mentioned, you can expand on a certain scene in an episode or write an extra bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to become a writer and get published, but I haven't even started writing anything like that. But I just love fanfiction too much to give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
    I write fanfiction for some of the reasons mentioned above, the fact that you get almost instant feedback, but also in the case of like Stargate, in the show some of the minor characters didn't really get that much attention and there were one or two that I liked, mainly Colonel Reynolds and Major Davies, who while they did appear in it a bit more then some, I still would have liked to have seen them more. So with fanfic you get to explore the minor characters more and flesh them out a little. And I like the ideas that people come up with and like others have mentioned, you can expand on a certain scene in an episode or write an extra bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to become a writer and get published, but I haven't even started writing anything like that. But I just love fanfiction too much to give it up.
    Spoilered sections have been pointed out as being OT. Read at your own risk...

Spoiler:
    Nikki, first off, I don't think I've said a proper welcome--WELCOME TO GATEWORLD!

Secondly, if you saw my answer, I also started back to writing by writing fan fic;
    Spoiler:
    I am now a member of Romance Writers of America and write my own original work (nothing finished, let alone published yet, but working on it). Two of the girls in my local branch of the RWA write/started by writing fan fiction. You are welcome to stop by any of the writing threads we have here on GW to seek advice, give opinions, or just play. We will have a sprint coming up possibly tonight, definitely tomorrow night, at 9 pm EST. Check out the first page of this thread to see if it's something that might interest you--it is totally non-threatening, just time to write while others are doing the same. We'd love to have you if you want to join us.
    Last edited by Whytewytch; January 20th, 2013 at 02:28 PM.

First Lieutenant Nikki Alexander's Avatar

Thank you for the welcome, it's great to be here, and I've been having a little look around but I will do that. I've also been looking at the sprint thread and I might have a go, although I'm in the UK so my timezone will be different but I'll try and be on around the same time as I'll probably be on pretty late.

Spoilered for being OT:

Spoiler:
    There's actually a couple girls there who are also in the U.K., so you might be able to gel times with them--Cate's Corner is one. See you around the threads!
    Last edited by Whytewytch; January 20th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Alexander View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, it's great to be here, and I've been having a little look around but I will do that. I've also been looking at the sprint thread and I might have a go, although I'm in the UK so my timezone will be different but I'll try and be on around the same time as I'll probably be on pretty late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    There's actually a couple girls there who are also in the U.K., so you might be able to gel times with them--Cate's Corner is one. See you around the threads!
    Wrong thread? Sounds like this is supposed to go in the Sprints thread...
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Wrong thread? Sounds like this is supposed to go in the Sprints thread...
    Spoilered for apparently being OT.

Spoiler:
    If you're interested in doing a sprint, follow the link in my previous post (two back from this one). I'm doing one tonight at 9 EST, I hope.
    Last edited by Whytewytch; January 20th, 2013 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whytewytch View Post
    If you're interested in doing a sprint, follow the link in my previous post (two back from this one). I'm doing one tonight at 9 EST, I hope.
    Yes, I'm aware. I was merely pointing out that the two posts above my previous one seem to be talking about sprinting, rather than why you're writing fanfiction.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories. /

Lieutenant Colonel SF_and_Coffee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fems View Post
    Yes, I'm aware. I was merely pointing out that the two posts above my previous one seem to be talking about sprinting, rather than why you're writing fanfiction.
    They grew out of the larger discussion on why we write fanfiction, and were simply a detour intended to invite the new folks to visit the Sprints thread. Doesn't do much good to post stuff for new people IN that thread when they haven't begun to visit it yet.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3

now also appearing on DeviantArt
    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.