What everyone is thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What everyone is thinking

Will there be a sentient species or at least an organized societal grouping (like dinobees)? If I was SS I would have the community inadvertently drive off (or kill) a pack of utah raptor ravaging the countryside. The local pack of Troodon (smartest dinosaur) is gracious and while not able to communicate per se the pack becomes the guardians of the community and the community in turn befriends them. The scientists are amazed at the culture of these dinosaurs and come to the conclusion they are at "dolphin level". This pack has loose associations with other Troodon packs and the human presence pushing back the slashers, carnotsaurs and Trex has allowed these Troodon packs to focus on more than simply surviving.

We find they enjoy games (something like soccer) and we develop the relationship to the point they don't see us as food. Heck we even play them in dino soccer.

What I am thinking is that:

I was hoping the diagrams and equations on the rocks were from ancient aliens or ancient civilization or from colonists also from a point in the future. But no such luck; it’s just the nutters son of Taylor out there doing some kind of Col. Kertz impression. (Not a spoiler; since it was revealed end of ep 2 as a plot point...what they mean is another matter entirely). Just as well; a stream bed with water erosion a stupid place for a long lasting message to people.

I would not mind seeing some kind of Troodon or similar type dinosaurs with rudimentary intelligence. They should have feathers; like the fictional Grik of Taylor Anderson's "Destroyermen" (alternate earth but not past; but one in which some reptiles evolved to sentience)...but not actually BE like the Grik lol. God help the prehistoric Brady bunch if there were Grik in that timeline.

It irked me when Elizabeth's ex boyfriend made some effort to say the flying creatures "was a reptile not a bird"....uhhhhh? The relationship of aves to reptiles is there. He might have properly said those are dinosauria of which aves is a subset of /shrug. They should have got out the duck press. They looked like ducks.

I always think their security barrier is hilariously inadequate and too close to the homes. I would have gone the double fence route; with more than a few yards between them...raked sand, sensors...the works. And a bit into the ground too; those little dinosaurs look like they might want to dig. Of course they just started? the colony but I'd like to see some progress on the construction or evolution of the measures in place.

When they were using balloons to remote view the flying creatures; I thought..."Next on checklist"...get launch infrastructure through the portal and get a geosynchronous satellite in orbit to view weather patterns and migrations of creatures.

I know they do not want to make the pollution mistake; but is there petroleum available in the Cretaceous? The electric vehicles they have seem to be lacking in the weight and armor department. Either combustion or some kind of compact reactor that can use steam to drive a heavier vehicle. (Ford Nucleon) or something. Or more batteries working in tandem...something. Petrol probably from the Mesozoic or lower Cretaceous...not sure how long takes to form? /shrug. Being environmentally responsible is foremost, especially for what they did to their world...BUT dinosaurs are big, fasty, clawy, and bitey.

I would not have mind seeing a smart and responsible approach to a fusion reactor(s) to power the settlement. I see the solar panels on the roof the main building, and it’s a nice responsible augment...but I hope their battery tech is very advanced and can push amps to power equipment like mining gear, excavation gear, etc. They should be stacking batteries regardless. Ice Ages will be post cretaceous and thus millions of years away; but still. Solar can be the sole source at that time...but...hopefully their power storage/battery tech can drive later vehicles with more muscle.

Their weapons. Also inadequate. They knew the fauna would be of size before setting out. The anti personnel light machine guns they have maybe OK for interior security but they should have brought large bore weapons; at least to mount on the wall guard posts. These may yet exist there; we've not seen much of the guard posts and it is established there are hunting parties to get meat for the communal table. I would have had CIWS type weps on the outer walls. I mean dinosaurs...people...

No robots from the year 2100 ish? No "Mr. Gutsy" to patrol the perimeter...no automated tracked vehicles? No automated flying drones to view the area? C'mon....set up colony properly.

I saw an a/c vent in the house? The house was airy enough that I did not think they had A/C but it is a tropical area? I wonder at what latitude the colony is on this parallel past earth? Forgetting about earth's position in space etc relative to future...they could be in the area of Hope Plaza (Chicago?) and still be on land.

On the houses; furniture and comforts in general I like the textures. The frosted glass, the woods, and the soft fabrics like the blankets. I wonder where the props come from. Would not mind some of that. With regard to the story, I wonder if they are locally produced (and from what) or brought with.

On local industry there was an incident where the Sixers traded meteorite alloy or ore. Surely that can't be good for working (brittle?). They obviously don't have the capability yet to smelt ore. Uranium, heavy metals, iron, etc. all should be present in the Cretaceous. So are relying on higher percent ores delivered by meteorites.

On the Sixers, I guess that is the main thread of show or one of? That and Taylor "knows stuff" re his son...the sixers...why they are there (really) etc. I'd be more aggressive about crushing them; I’d have also brought back better hardware...risking the sixers would have stolen some at their departure but /shrug

I also think of that episode of "The Tick", "Tick vs. Prehistory". Granted that episode took place well after the Cenozoic in the lower Paleolithic; but these guys on Terra Nova need "luggage robots". If they could return to future I guarantee some greedy douche would have gone the safari and hotel route.

Of course in producing the show...having the props I mentioned is more FX money but damn...if I have to put up with "whiny spielbergian kids" I want a properly planned colony.
    Granted the colony is new, and they have time to do these things. Millions of years before the KT impact. They could be as the Ancients by the time that comes around...cruising the Galaxy.

I like seeing their 3d computer interfaces; there's decent network and processing power somewhere on site.

The original posters comments on Troodon's made me think of an older Sci Fi short story about how they went back in time and saw the dinosaurs became extinct as they were hunted to extinction by little Troodon type dinosaurs with ray guns. ;-D.
    Last edited by Hohenzollern; 05 October 2011, 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Originally posted by Hohenzollern View Post
      I always think their security barrier is hilariously inadequate and too close to the homes. I would have gone the double fence route; with more than a few yards between them...raked sand, sensors...the works. And a bit into the ground too; those little dinosaurs look like they might want to dig. Of course they just started? the colony but I'd like to see some progress on the construction or evolution of the measures in place.
      Your assuming that hundreds of large dinosaurs would suddenly show up to attack. Large carnivores hunted by themselves or in pairs and two dinosaurs can be taken care of, smaller carnivores would hunt in packs but if they were as intelligent as we believe them to be then they would learn that hunting humans is not a good way to go, because we hunt them back.

Herbivores wouldn't rampage through the colony for no reason and as we have seen they have sonic cannons and sonic mines to drive off things that may come near. Obviously they still do to feed and drink on the plants and the rivers near the colony because suddenly disrupting certain animals lifestyle patterns would end up bad (as we just saw in Instinct).

As was also said, they chose an area with little activity so as not to disrupt the dinosaurs (which is further supported by their use of non-lethal weapons against the dinosaurs)

Comment

On local industry there was an incident where the Sixers traded meteorite alloy or ore. Surely that can't be good for working (brittle?). They obviously don't have the capability yet to smelt ore. Uranium, heavy metals, iron, etc. all should be present in the Cretaceous. So are relying on higher percent ores delivered by meteorites.
        Meteoric Iron is a good source because you don't have to mine so much and the process in making it into pure iron is MUCH easier. The fact that they went back to avoid the mistakes they made before why would they suddenly decide to use metals when there is plenty of wood for them to use. Plus mining often does lots of damage and requires lots of people as they dont have heavy machinery, and that would take away people from other duties such as farming or research.

Comment

What I am thinking is that:

I was hoping the diagrams and equations on the rocks were from ancient aliens or ancient civilization or from colonists also from a point in the future. But no such luck; it’s just the nutters son of Taylor out there doing some kind of Col. Kertz impression. (Not a spoiler; since it was revealed end of ep 2 as a plot point...what they mean is another matter entirely). Just as well; a stream bed with water erosion a stupid place for a long lasting message to people.

I would not mind seeing some kind of Troodon or similar type dinosaurs with rudimentary intelligence. They should have feathers; like the fictional Grik of Taylor Anderson's "Destroyermen" (alternate earth but not past; but one in which some reptiles evolved to sentience)...but not actually BE like the Grik lol. God help the prehistoric Brady bunch if there were Grik in that timeline.

It irked me when Elizabeth's ex boyfriend made some effort to say the flying creatures "was a reptile not a bird"....uhhhhh? The relationship of aves to reptiles is there. He might have properly said those are dinosauria of which aves is a subset of /shrug. They should have got out the duck press. They looked like ducks.

When they were using balloons to remote view the flying creatures; I thought..."Next on checklist"...get launch infrastructure through the portal and get a geosynchronous satellite in orbit to view weather patterns and migrations of creatures.

I know they do not want to make the pollution mistake; but is there petroleum available in the Cretaceous? The electric vehicles they have seem to be lacking in the weight and armor department. Either combustion or some kind of compact reactor that can use steam to drive a heavier vehicle. (Ford Nucleon) or something. Or more batteries working in tandem...something. Petrol probably from the Mesozoic or lower Cretaceous...not sure how long takes to form? /shrug. Being environmentally responsible is foremost, especially for what they did to their world...BUT dinosaurs are big, fasty, clawy, and bitey.

I would not have mind seeing a smart and responsible approach to a fusion reactor(s) to power the settlement. I see the solar panels on the roof the main building, and it’s a nice responsible augment...but I hope their battery tech is very advanced and can push amps to power equipment like mining gear, excavation gear, etc. They should be stacking batteries regardless. Ice Ages will be post cretaceous and thus millions of years away; but still. Solar can be the sole source at that time...but...hopefully their power storage/battery tech can drive later vehicles with more muscle.

Their weapons. Also inadequate. They knew the fauna would be of size before setting out. The anti personnel light machine guns they have maybe OK for interior security but they should have brought large bore weapons; at least to mount on the wall guard posts. These may yet exist there; we've not seen much of the guard posts and it is established there are hunting parties to get meat for the communal table. I would have had CIWS type weps on the outer walls. I mean dinosaurs...people...

No robots from the year 2100 ish? No "Mr. Gutsy" to patrol the perimeter...no automated tracked vehicles? No automated flying drones to view the area? C'mon....set up colony properly.

I saw an a/c vent in the house? The house was airy enough that I did not think they had A/C but it is a tropical area? I wonder at what latitude the colony is on this parallel past earth? Forgetting about earth's position in space etc relative to future...they could be in the area of Hope Plaza (Chicago?) and still be on land.

On the houses; furniture and comforts in general I like the textures. The frosted glass, the woods, and the soft fabrics like the blankets. I wonder where the props come from. Would not mind some of that. With regard to the story, I wonder if they are locally produced (and from what) or brought with.

On the Sixers, I guess that is the main thread of show or one of? That and Taylor "knows stuff" re his son...the sixers...why they are there (really) etc. I'd be more aggressive about crushing them; I’d have also brought back better hardware...risking the sixers would have stolen some at their departure but /shrug

I also think of that episode of "The Tick", "Tick vs. Prehistory". Granted that episode took place well after the Cenozoic in the lower Paleolithic; but these guys on Terra Nova need "luggage robots". If they could return to future I guarantee some greedy douche would have gone the safari and hotel route.

Of course in producing the show...having the props I mentioned is more FX money but damn...if I have to put up with "whiny spielbergian kids" I want a properly planned colony.
          Granted the colony is new, and they have time to do these things. Millions of years before the KT impact. They could be as the Ancients by the time that comes around...cruising the Galaxy.

I like seeing their 3d computer interfaces; there's decent network and processing power somewhere on site.

The original posters comments on Troodon's made me think of an older Sci Fi short story about how they went back in time and saw the dinosaurs became extinct as they were hunted to extinction by little Troodon type dinosaurs with ray guns. ;-D.
          Seriously, those slezzstacks were just advanced troodons. Voyager had intergalactic hadrosaurs (not sure why they weren't troodon).

Comment

sleestacks...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              sleestacks...
              that's what I'm talking about

Comment

I am thinking **** Baseball right now

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                  I am thinking **** Baseball right now
                  Hmmm...didn't know you were kinky that way...
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm kind of surprised no hints of sentient troodon yet. Perhaps there is a larger version of these that escaped fossilization (or at least being found). Packs of intelligent dino's the size of Utah Raptor would be way cool. Or better yet someone else (or something else) has went back in time like they did and they just haven't stumbled across them yet. Imagine a small jet (or drone) buzzing the compound and everyone scratch their heads muttering wft? The period of time could be like a nexus of reality that all futures feed back into.

Comment

Im thinking I want to see some Aliens woooo
                      Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                      McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

I wanna see more development of this sixer story line.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          I wanna see more development of this sixer story line.
                          Same. The characters aren't endearing enough to pull off an episodic show in my view. They need to get some interesting arcs going.

Comment

. . .

Their weapons. Also inadequate. They knew the fauna would be of size before setting out.

;-D.
                            Ditto!

The colony should not look like a summer camp, unless they explain why they have such a flimsly fortress.

While I am glad they are portraying positive family values, and showing a happily married couple, at times I feel like TN is more like a soap opera then a SciFi series. My standard for any new SciFi series is Battlestar Galactia (2004-2009). BG grabbed you from the very first scene, and never let go (for the most part). TN is interesting and fun to watch, but "easy on the brain". You can watch it while doing other things, and not miss much.

And, is their only mission "to multiply?"

Also, maybe I missed this, so someone please tell me if I missed something about the "static wormhole". I think we establisted after episode three that they can communicate back and forth, but can they travel both ways?

Overall, very enjoyable, but lets have less "puppy love" and less homelife, and more hard core SciFi action, adventure and overall SciFi content.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddTX View Post

Also, maybe I missed this, so someone please tell me if I missed something about the "static wormhole". I think we establisted after episode three that they can communicate back and forth, but can they travel both ways?
                              No my understanding is while they can communicate with the future(2149) they can't back once they've come through the wormhole hence why Jim Shannon wasn't followed and carted back to jail in 2149.

Comment

Working...
                              X