Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    First Lieutenant

Default Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

Although (I think) a great show, there are a few Inconsistencies already in the first two (double-bill) episodes that can easily be discussed. I think they should, so we shall have this thread up specifically for all the Inconsistencies shown throughout Terra Nova.

Lets keep it light and simple, nobody needs to get into any heated debates or anything here.

I'll start, posted it in the original Terra Nova thread, but as this one is to be more specific...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerilon View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, there was a Carnotaurus featured in the double-launch episode (the one that 'ate the gunner' and nearly ate Taylor). That predator is from the late-Cretaceous. We also clearly saw a Brachiosaurus too, and they're from the late-Jurassic.

The two Dinosaurs we saw (assuming I'm right about the species) shouldn't have ever met.

It's Probin' Time!

Default Re: Inconsistency 101

I wouldn't be surprised if more inconsistencies like that appeared. It won't just be a matter of dinosaurs appearing from different periods that meet, but also from different parts of the world that shouldn't have met either. I think in the Jurassic Park trilogy, both happened just to give people the opportunity to see dinosaurs that people may recognise.

"Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it."

"But what about-"

"Wizard!"

Unless they decide to just stick to their current animal set, it'll happen more.

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post

"But what about-"

"Wizard!"

Unless they decide to just stick to their current animal set, it'll happen more.
    yes! This explains everything!

Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

I expect plenty more of these to pop up. I'm sure they want to show as many dinosaurs as possible regardless of what period they are from.

I think they attempted to address this when they said the fabric in time was a different stream so this could basically mean they travelled back in time to an alternate Earth. This way, any inconsistencies that arise can be attributed to the fact that it is not the "same Earth".

Chief Master Sergeant

Are you sure they were "Brachiosaurus"? I seem to remember that some character gave them a name, but I don't remember "Brachiosaurus". There were many species of sauropods over many millions of years, from the late Triassic to the end of the Cretaceous.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Personally, it doesn't really matter that much to me. I just want to see them encounter many different types of dinosaurs.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Two things immediate come to my mind.

The dinosaur only ate the leaves, and the little girl was uninjured. I'm glad the little girl wasn't injured, but I didn't believe the scene. I don't buy that the dinosaur would not at least nip the little girl's hand which is so close to the leaves.

The gi-normous leech being left on that guy's back. Granted, I do not know how fast a leech can take in blood, but my first impression is leaving that leech on someone would cause that person to die from blood loss.
    My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    Personally, it doesn't really matter that much to me. I just want to see them encounter many different types of dinosaurs.
    Well said, my friend...

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post

The dinosaur only ate the leaves, and the little girl was uninjured. I'm glad the little girl wasn't injured, but I didn't believe the scene. I don't buy that the dinosaur would not at least nip the little girl's hand which is so close to the leaves.

The gi-normous leech being left on that guy's back. Granted, I do not know how fast a leech can take in blood, but my first impression is leaving that leech on someone would cause that person to die from blood loss.
    That leech took excess oxygen from the blood, probably like a filter, putting the blood back into the guy. Higher oxygen levels 85 million years ago is what made them so big in the first place, that creature may only be able to breath using other creatures, just that it doenst need to breath as often as we do.

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    That leech took excess oxygen from the blood, probably like a filter, putting the blood back into the guy. Higher oxygen levels 85 million years ago is what made them so big in the first place, that creature may only be able to breath using other creatures, just that it doenst need to breath as often as we do.
    I remember the medical staff commenting about the guy having too much oxygen in his system, but I think "leech" I think "sucking blood," not filtering it. Your idea makes sense of using the leech. Thanks!
    My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Lieutenant Colonel

I remember the medical staff commenting about the guy having too much oxygen in his system, but I think "leech" I think "sucking blood," not filtering it. Your idea makes sense of using the leech. Thanks!
    Well modern leeches store blood in them so these guys might store oxygen. Like i said they may not need the blood, it just may be how they get to breath. Seems to work ok.

Chief Master Sergeant

One of the things I really didn't like about the story, and I think can be thought of as a great "inconsistency", was the vehicles running on batteries. The problem here is generating the electricity in the first place to charge the batteries. The writers/producers did throw in a few windmills... but as other people have pointed out the windmills are placed in a valley between two high mountains in a region that appears to not be too windy (notice the brief image of the windmills if you view the pilot again.)

The second issue is with electric vehicles is the capacity of the batteries vs. the weight. Now, you might claim that in 2149 that humans have developed much better batteries than we have now, but if that is a case then why is the environment so screwed up in 2149?

Thirdly, and this is common with so much of the new colony's design, is that the colony isn't large enough to support the expertise and industry to ever repair and then replace these machines. Are they expecting continual deliveries from the future forever?

I suppose there will be many sorts of these things in the show, but these kind of internal logical gaps in stories weakens them, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by senilegreen View Post
    One of the things I really didn't like about the story, and I think can be thought of as a great "inconsistency", was the vehicles running on batteries. The problem here is generating the electricity in the first place to charge the batteries. The writers/producers did throw in a few windmills... but as other people have pointed out the windmills are placed in a valley between two high mountains in a region that appears to not be too windy (notice the brief image of the windmills if you view the pilot again.)

The second issue is with electric vehicles is the capacity of the batteries vs. the weight. Now, you might claim that in 2149 that humans have developed much better batteries than we have now, but if that is a case then why is the environment so screwed up in 2149?

Thirdly, and this is common with so much of the new colony's design, is that the colony isn't large enough to support the expertise and industry to ever repair and then replace these machines. Are they expecting continual deliveries from the future forever?

I suppose there will be many sorts of these things in the show, but these kind of internal logical gaps in stories weakens them, I believe.
    I don't see these things as inconsistencies...yet. The show has only had the 2 hour premier...and that's not. They couldn't have explained every little detail in the premier...so give them time.

Colonel

What about the troublemaker girl and her magic gun..... One second she's saying she is out of ammo, the next scene you see her in the background shooting?

I guess a wizard did it again

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post

"But what about-"

"Wizard!"

Or magnets as Jack would say
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    Or magnets as Jack would say
    I still say its Dumbledor!

Lieutenant Colonel

Not unlike a sloth, a big herbavore like that would occasionally snap up something flesh (like a little girl).

I suppose this is more of a gripe than an inconsistency: the fence.

1.) They are so concerned about dinosaurs getting near the encampment. We hear about sonic mines and we've seen the various big guns used to scare away dinosaurs, and yet several sauropods are able to freely feed right outside the fence. Yes, the fence is strong, and it has those pointy things along the top rail to keep things away. This being said, I'd say that dinosaurs that size would butt up against that fence often, just blundering about in the process of feeding. And even if they were injured they'd eventually knock it down. And what about their neck reach? Those things could do a significant amount of damage to anything too close to the fence.

Of course, if they were scared off by the sonic cannon then they couldn't do that seen with Zoe.

2.) Easy access for small stuff. Just as Skye and Josh can crawl through the fence to go out, other things could crawl through the fence to come in. I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of tighter blocking mechanism for the lower half of the fence.

3.) Weeding. Yes, without it the writers wouldn't have had a moment for Jim Shannon to hack at big vines with much amusement had by all...

I'd say the they would have done more to prevent those kinds of vines from taking such an extensive hold on the fence. Whether they did something when the fence was first put in, which would hinder plant growth in that strip along the fence, or to schedule a regular shift where a group patrolled the entire perimeter looking for growth before it got too large, something should have been done differently. They could even do it as a responsibility of the local area to maintain the fence near their homes.

Alternatively, they could find a use for those vines in some manufacturing sense...

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Gollumpus View Post
    I suppose this is more of a gripe than an inconsistency: the fence.

1.) They are so concerned about dinosaurs getting near the encampment. We hear about sonic mines and we've seen the various big guns used to scare away dinosaurs, and yet several sauropods are able to freely feed right outside the fence. Yes, the fence is strong, and it has those pointy things along the top rail to keep things away. This being said, I'd say that dinosaurs that size would butt up against that fence often, just blundering about in the process of feeding. And even if they were injured they'd eventually knock it down. And what about their neck reach? Those things could do a significant amount of damage to anything too close to the fence.

Of course, if they were scared off by the sonic cannon then they couldn't do that seen with Zoe.

2.) Easy access for small stuff. Just as Skye and Josh can crawl through the fence to go out, other things could crawl through the fence to come in. I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of tighter blocking mechanism for the lower half of the fence.

3.) Weeding. Yes, without it the writers wouldn't have had a moment for Jim Shannon to hack at big vines with much amusement had by all...

I'd say the they would have done more to prevent those kinds of vines from taking such an extensive hold on the fence. Whether they did something when the fence was first put in, which would hinder plant growth in that strip along the fence, or to schedule a regular shift where a group patrolled the entire perimeter looking for growth before it got too large, something should have been done differently. They could even do it as a responsibility of the local area to maintain the fence near their homes.

Alternatively, they could find a use for those vines in some manufacturing sense...

regards,
    G.
    Pichlorom or a Grazeon PD (agent white) would keep the fence clear of weeds. I would agree with the points on the fence.

There should also be a XM307 on those dune buggies instead of what they are using. One shot kills of anything on that planet.
    Last edited by morrismike; October 5th, 2011 at 03:23 AM.