Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93
  1. #61
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    85 million years ago, grass hadn't evolved yet.
    The booze is made from a wild sorgham so there is probably grass.

  2. #62
    First Lieutenant Steam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uk, England, Bath
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    No, why would I be?
    Im still gonna have to go with your kidding right?
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

    Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

    http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

  3. #63

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Without concentration the upper limits on solar efficiency are very low (regardless of tech). There is absolutely no way a vehicle like that could be powered from the sun.
    We're in the infancy of solar power technology, and they've already created solar cells in research labs with percentage efficiencies in the low 40's. I figure with another 140 years of research they might even get the cost of such cells down to a reasonable level. After all, it's not like they're going to have a lot of oil and gas around until all those dinosaurs die off and fossilize and so forth, not to mention most internal combustion engines for such vehicles only work at an average of 18-20% efficiency even after being one of the most heavily used technologies of the last 100 and more years. Electric does seem to be a better idea.

  4. #64
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoLL's View Post
    We're in the infancy of solar power technology, and they've already created solar cells in research labs with percentage efficiencies in the low 40's. I figure with another 140 years of research they might even get the cost of such cells down to a reasonable level. After all, it's not like they're going to have a lot of oil and gas around until all those dinosaurs die off and fossilize and so forth, not to mention most internal combustion engines for such vehicles only work at an average of 18-20% efficiency even after being one of the most heavily used technologies of the last 100 and more years. Electric does seem to be a better idea.
    Link please. I'm in the power business and quite interested in any advances.

  5. #65
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    The booze is made from a wild sorgham so there is probably grass.
    Grass is only found in the fossil record about 67 million years ago, but didn't really take over until asteroid ELE. Before then he forest floor and open areas was covered in ferns and mosses. Still, it's only a minor gripe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    Im still gonna have to go with your kidding right?
    And I'm still gonna have to go with, no, why would I be? Do you have an explanation as to why everyone is either British or American (or Australian)? I know the production answer, I'd just like an in-story one. It seems a bit silly to me given the premise.

  6. #66
    First Lieutenant Steam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uk, England, Bath
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    Grass is only found in the fossil record about 67 million years ago, but didn't really take over until asteroid ELE. Before then he forest floor and open areas was covered in ferns and mosses. Still, it's only a minor gripe.



    And I'm still gonna have to go with, no, why would I be? Do you have an explanation as to why everyone is either British or American (or Australian)? I know the production answer, I'd just like an in-story one. It seems a bit silly to me given the premise.
    Well just maybe, JUST MAYBEEEE the few people we have seen are the top of there table? Come on not as if we have seen everyone. Also like you said for production Value. In stargate atlantis they had an "international" team but it didnt exactly differ from it mainly being US and Canada with a few Russian and UK people
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

    Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

    http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

  7. #67
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    You know they might have taken grass seeds through the portal

  8. #68
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,933

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    Well just maybe, JUST MAYBEEEE the few people we have seen are the top of there table? Come on not as if we have seen everyone.
    We've seen a hell of a lot of people, too many for there to be none from non-English speaking countries with a reason.

    Also like you said for production Value. In stargate atlantis they had an "international" team but it didnt exactly differ from it mainly being US and Canada with a few Russian and UK people
    It was fixed in Atlantis with flag patches. In Terra Nova there seems to be just lazily ignored. So far, anyway.

    Zelenka was Czech, by the way...

  9. #69
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    We've seen a hell of a lot of people, too many for there to be none from non-English speaking countries with a reason.



    It was fixed in Atlantis with flag patches. In Terra Nova there seems to be just lazily ignored. So far, anyway.

    Zelenka was Czech, by the way...
    Yuppers...he's one of my peeps!

  10. #70

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Link please. I'm in the power business and quite interested in any advances.
    From a quick search,
    http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

    Looks as though DARPA is funding the research with a goal of pushing efficiencies past 50%

  11. #71
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    You know they might have taken grass seeds through the portal
    They seem to have plenty of wild sorgham to make booze from. Sorgham is really close to grass. Even if there wasn't grass there'd be something very close. Whose to say grass would even leave a fossil record?

  12. #72
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Haha did anyone know the commander is the same guy from Avatar? And he even acts the same for the most part too hehe.

    He's called "Action Man" on forums where i live.

  13. #73
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoLL's View Post
    From a quick search,
    http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/jul/solar072307.html

    Looks as though DARPA is funding the research with a goal of pushing efficiencies past 50%
    That is optical concentration technology. That isn't the same as convential solar cells. I can concentrate sunlight and use it in a conventional plant and push 40% (if money is no object). The efficiency of cells using normal strength light will never even sniff 25% efficiency due to the restraints of physics.

  14. #74
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Haha did anyone know the commander is the same guy from Avatar? And he even acts the same for the most part too hehe.

    He's called "Action Man" on forums where i live.
    That's amazing. You are the first person on the whole internet to notice that.

  15. #75
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    That's amazing. You are the first person on the whole internet to notice that.
    Yay.... You discovered sarcasm........Have a cookie

  16. #76
    First Lieutenant Steam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uk, England, Bath
    Posts
    621

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    That's amazing. You are the first person on the whole internet to notice that.
    LMAO owned
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

    Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

    http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

  17. #77
    Major General LtColCarter's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    14,148

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Yay.... You discovered sarcasm........Have a cookie

  18. #78
    Colonel
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Travelling the river Iss
    Posts
    7,100

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Hey how about in the virus episode. Howcome Action Man can ride his electric motorbike towards Terra Nova and that big dino just kept walking by as if it was a road crossing... WTF? That's what it looked like.

    Terra Nova = Home & Away with occasional dinosaur

  19. #79
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    gone...
    Posts
    4,787

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Hey how about in the virus episode. Howcome Action Man can ride his electric motorbike towards Terra Nova and that big dino just kept walking by as if it was a road crossing... WTF? That's what it looked like.

    Terra Nova = Home & Away with occasional dinosaur
    You know that old adage that elephants are afraid of mice....well thats not true, larger animals tend not to care about the smaller ones and vice versa. If a brachiosaur went up against ONE raptor, it would win, hands down, one small threat is nothing to be afraid of and humans have shown no threats towards the herbivores.

  20. #80
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,137

    Default Re: Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

    Quote Originally Posted by LtColCarter View Post
    we really need a sarcasm smilicon for the internet

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Inconsistencies
    By Aerilon in forum Supernatural
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: December 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
  2. Inconsistencies Across Canon
    By The Mastage Kidd in forum Star Trek
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: October 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
  3. Inconsistencies
    By feifei in forum SG-1 Science and Tech
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2006, 12:52 AM
  4. Wow, Inconsistencies (All spoilers)
    By Furling God in forum SGA General Discussion
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: July 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM
  5. Inconsistencies?
    By yuilsa in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: August 26th, 2004, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •