Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inconsistencies 101 : SPOILERS S1

Although (I think) a great show, there are a few Inconsistencies already in the first two (double-bill) episodes that can easily be discussed. I think they should, so we shall have this thread up specifically for all the Inconsistencies shown throughout Terra Nova.

Lets keep it light and simple, nobody needs to get into any heated debates or anything here.

I'll start, posted it in the original Terra Nova thread, but as this one is to be more specific...
    Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, there was a Carnotaurus featured in the double-launch episode (the one that 'ate the gunner' and nearly ate Taylor). That predator is from the late-Cretaceous. We also clearly saw a Brachiosaurus too, and they're from the late-Jurassic.

The two Dinosaurs we saw (assuming I'm right about the species) shouldn't have ever met.
    sigpic
    It's Probin' Time!

I wouldn't be surprised if more inconsistencies like that appeared. It won't just be a matter of dinosaurs appearing from different periods that meet, but also from different parts of the world that shouldn't have met either. I think in the Jurassic Park trilogy, both happened just to give people the opportunity to see dinosaurs that people may recognise.

sigpic

Comment

"Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it."

"But what about-"

"Wizard!"

Unless they decide to just stick to their current animal set, it'll happen more.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
        "Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it."

"But what about-"

"Wizard!"

Unless they decide to just stick to their current animal set, it'll happen more.
        yes! This explains everything!
        sigpic

Comment

I expect plenty more of these to pop up. I'm sure they want to show as many dinosaurs as possible regardless of what period they are from.

I think they attempted to address this when they said the fabric in time was a different stream so this could basically mean they travelled back in time to an alternate Earth. This way, any inconsistencies that arise can be attributed to the fact that it is not the "same Earth".
          sigpic

Comment

Are you sure they were "Brachiosaurus"? I seem to remember that some character gave them a name, but I don't remember "Brachiosaurus". There were many species of sauropods over many millions of years, from the late Triassic to the end of the Cretaceous.

Comment

Personally, it doesn't really matter that much to me. I just want to see them encounter many different types of dinosaurs.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Two things immediate come to my mind.

The dinosaur only ate the leaves, and the little girl was uninjured. I'm glad the little girl wasn't injured, but I didn't believe the scene. I don't buy that the dinosaur would not at least nip the little girl's hand which is so close to the leaves.

The gi-normous leech being left on that guy's back. Granted, I do not know how fast a leech can take in blood, but my first impression is leaving that leech on someone would cause that person to die from blood loss.
                My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  Personally, it doesn't really matter that much to me. I just want to see them encounter many different types of dinosaurs.
                  Well said, my friend...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
                    Two things immediate come to my mind.

The dinosaur only ate the leaves, and the little girl was uninjured. I'm glad the little girl wasn't injured, but I didn't believe the scene. I don't buy that the dinosaur would not at least nip the little girl's hand which is so close to the leaves.

The gi-normous leech being left on that guy's back. Granted, I do not know how fast a leech can take in blood, but my first impression is leaving that leech on someone would cause that person to die from blood loss.
                    That leech took excess oxygen from the blood, probably like a filter, putting the blood back into the guy. Higher oxygen levels 85 million years ago is what made them so big in the first place, that creature may only be able to breath using other creatures, just that it doenst need to breath as often as we do.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      That leech took excess oxygen from the blood, probably like a filter, putting the blood back into the guy. Higher oxygen levels 85 million years ago is what made them so big in the first place, that creature may only be able to breath using other creatures, just that it doenst need to breath as often as we do.
                      I remember the medical staff commenting about the guy having too much oxygen in his system, but I think "leech" I think "sucking blood," not filtering it. Your idea makes sense of using the leech. Thanks!
                      My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
                        I remember the medical staff commenting about the guy having too much oxygen in his system, but I think "leech" I think "sucking blood," not filtering it. Your idea makes sense of using the leech. Thanks!
                        Well modern leeches store blood in them so these guys might store oxygen. Like i said they may not need the blood, it just may be how they get to breath. Seems to work ok.

Comment

One of the things I really didn't like about the story, and I think can be thought of as a great "inconsistency", was the vehicles running on batteries. The problem here is generating the electricity in the first place to charge the batteries. The writers/producers did throw in a few windmills... but as other people have pointed out the windmills are placed in a valley between two high mountains in a region that appears to not be too windy (notice the brief image of the windmills if you view the pilot again.)

The second issue is with electric vehicles is the capacity of the batteries vs. the weight. Now, you might claim that in 2149 that humans have developed much better batteries than we have now, but if that is a case then why is the environment so screwed up in 2149?

Thirdly, and this is common with so much of the new colony's design, is that the colony isn't large enough to support the expertise and industry to ever repair and then replace these machines. Are they expecting continual deliveries from the future forever?

I suppose there will be many sorts of these things in the show, but these kind of internal logical gaps in stories weakens them, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                            One of the things I really didn't like about the story, and I think can be thought of as a great "inconsistency", was the vehicles running on batteries. The problem here is generating the electricity in the first place to charge the batteries. The writers/producers did throw in a few windmills... but as other people have pointed out the windmills are placed in a valley between two high mountains in a region that appears to not be too windy (notice the brief image of the windmills if you view the pilot again.)

The second issue is with electric vehicles is the capacity of the batteries vs. the weight. Now, you might claim that in 2149 that humans have developed much better batteries than we have now, but if that is a case then why is the environment so screwed up in 2149?

Thirdly, and this is common with so much of the new colony's design, is that the colony isn't large enough to support the expertise and industry to ever repair and then replace these machines. Are they expecting continual deliveries from the future forever?

I suppose there will be many sorts of these things in the show, but these kind of internal logical gaps in stories weakens them, I believe.
                            I don't see these things as inconsistencies...yet. The show has only had the 2 hour premier...and that's not. They couldn't have explained every little detail in the premier...so give them time.
                            sigpic

Comment

What about the troublemaker girl and her magic gun..... One second she's saying she is out of ammo, the next scene you see her in the background shooting?

I guess a wizard did it again
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X