• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis (101-102)

Visit the Episode GuideTERRA NOVA - SEASON ONE
    GENESIS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101-102
    Part 1: In a bleak future, Jim Shannon must escape from prison in order to join his family when they join the Tenth Pilgrimage 85 million years into the past, where humans are creating a new civilization in an alternate timeline.

Part 2: Taylor recruits Jim into his security force, revealing that a violent group of separatists are living outside of Terra Nova. Josh and his new friends sneak outside the fence and are trapped by a vicious predator.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>

Decent enough of an opener. Lots of intrigue and action.

I'm not a fan of both father and son skipping orientation meeting. I thought it would have been neat to just get a glimpse of orientation if nothing more than a 5 second "These are Carnasaurs" thing, or 30 seconds on the history of the camp.

As a viewer, I don't know what should be considered common information to the inhabitants. Do ALL the inhabitants know of the Sixers or only some? Same with Taylor's son. There's secrets but I don't know who knows what? Are brachiosaurus supposed to be fed, or was that a bad thing?

Comment

Looking forward to the next episode! The premier was pretty good!
      sigpic

Comment

I'd seen previews of the show, but didn't research the details. I knew that people from a dystopian future would travel to the past. The main reason I watched the premiere was to see how the paradox of time travel was handled. I am impressed with the solution to the issue, and pleasantly surprised by the show overall. The show isn't just humans versus dinosaurs, although that happens as well. I like the episode. It has action, and enough mystery to make me wonder, "what happens next?"
        My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
          I'd seen previews of the show, but didn't research the details. I knew that people from a dystopian future would travel to the past. The main reason I watched the premiere was to see how the paradox of time travel was handled. I am impressed with the solution to the issue, and pleasantly surprised by the show overall. The show isn't just humans versus dinosaurs, although that happens as well. I like the episode. It has action, and enough mystery to make me wonder, "what happens next?"
          Couldn't agree more!
          sigpic

Comment

I missed the series premiere when it aired. I'm going to be watching it tonight or tomorrow. Answer me this, did it end on a cliffhanger?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              I missed the series premiere when it aired. I'm going to be watching it tonight or tomorrow. Answer me this, did it end on a cliffhanger?
              No it didn't. It also doesn't end like Fringe/Alias/Lost leaving you to wonder about what's next.

sigpic

Comment

Eh, not really. It ended leaving questions unanswered obviously, but that's to be rather expected.

All in all quite dissappointed. Lot of plausabilityproblems here. I get that it's sci-FI, but c'mon. I understand that it's preferable to have the dinos as more bad ass than is realistic (as in, present day weaponry would wipe the floor with a dinosaur. 150 years in the future with laz0r cutting tools that cuts metal like its wet snow it's not realistic that they pose a threat. But if they didn't, the whole show's premise would dissappear, so ok, but it.) but these hollywood shows just don't portray real people.

The writing is bad. The effects were at times (hero dude and camp leader dude overlooking area) horrendously bad. Cast is mediocre. As noted lots of rather unplausible situations and explanations. But it has real promise, so I'm gonna keep watching but this gotta pick up fast or we're looking at cancellation.

Comment

Not so much...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    No it didn't. It also doesn't end like Fringe/Alias/Lost leaving you to wonder about what's next.
                    Thanks. In regard to Alias, Fringe, and Lost; I never watched those shows beyond an episode or two.

Originally posted by smooTh__ View Post
                    Eh, not really. It ended leaving questions unanswered obviously, but that's to be rather expected.
                    Awesome, so there's resolution and mystery. I much prefer the episodic format (each episode has a beginning, middle, and ending), but I also like having ongoing storylines within the episodic format. SG-1 stands out as a perfect example of this.

As for the cast, are there any big names?

Comment

Thought the premiere had some scenes that were kind of predictable, like the teenagers breaking rules and running off only to get into deep trouble. Dinosaur scenes were good. Interesting enough that I'll give it a chance and watch a couple more eps to see where they go with it.

Snowman37: As for the cast, are there any big names?
                      Not that I recognize.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to yamiinsane for my lovely sig.

Comment

As for the cast, are there any big names?
                        Stephen Lang from Avatar and a number of other movies.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

1. Jason O'Mara. Wasn't that the guy that 'tried' to play a Yank Sam Tyler in the cheap copy of LIfe on Mars?

2. Like the tech but are we really going to be in such trouble circa 2149? I'd have thought we'd have licked FTL travel by then.

3. Quite a gamble for everyone on the pilgrimage.

4. Josh was an absolute nutcase for going OTG on the first day.

OK idea so far...and interesting that Taylor may not be whiter than white. Not exactly a knockout yet but let's keep going with it for a bit.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi View Post
                            I really wouldn't call it a solution to the time travel paradox issue. No grandfather paradox can happen, because there's a few million years interval if it were the same time line.

Sending a probe back and not finding it in the future was made as a statement. But then the child wanting to scratch a sign in it, the whole thing turned into a plot device where it is found in the future and the proof is the child's scratch on it.

I'm waiting for the plot line where the pilgrimages are out of order, where the next group that arrives is one of the groups that left before the last one.
                            Last edited by ZeroPoint; 04 October 2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

When I saw the Weird Writings on the caves I instantly Thought. Aliens! Woooo. But then The Truth and I got to say a little disappointed lol
                              Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                              McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Working...
                              X