X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean Maher comes out

Shocking....not.

http://dailycaller.com/2011/09/26/pl...tor-comes-out/
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

http://twitter.com/#!/NathanFillion/...18877410963458
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Was there a point to his coming out?

I was more curious about his time on Firefly, so went to the original interview and found

"The role for which Maher is probably most well-known is Dr. Simon Tam, a surgeon on the run after breaking his sister River (Summer Glau, who he’s pictured with here) out of a research facility, on the cult TV series Firefly and follow-up feature Serenity, both created by Joss Whedon. Maher remembers those projects as some of his best — even though his personal life was still off-limits during that time. “Looking back, on Firefly for instance, I do wish on day one I had told them because these are some of the most amazing people who are still like family to me,” Maher says. “I am so grateful for that show because they saved me. I was so unhappy and lonely and to come to work everyday with that group was wonderful. It really was all I had at that point in my life.”"

Glad to see his experience on the show was still a positive one.

sigpic

Comment

I sometimes wonder why actors take so long to come out. I understand love scenes could become more awkward and they could lose some fans. But it's the 21st Century for crying out loud!!! What someone does in their own bedroom is none of my concern. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who is very conservative on most issues.
        I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

some of the comments on that article are awful, and his manager telling him to pretend he likes girls, thats not quite right either is it.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
            some of the comments on that article are awful, and his manager telling him to pretend he likes girls, thats not quite right either is it.
            It's an awful shame, in the 21st century, that people still have to hide who they are, it should be a non-issue. Good luck to him. What's important is that he's a talented actor, not his sex life.

FF
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox View Post
              It's an awful shame, in the 21st century, that people still have to hide who they are, it should be a non-issue. Good luck to him. What's important is that he's a talented actor, not his sex life.
              Across the board,
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I just don't 'get' homophobia; he's attracted to other men, so what? Our sex lives are our own business and, you know, who cares who he sleeps with, who I sleep with, who you sleep with? There are much more interesting things about him, me, you, everyone.

Found on Facebook from https://www.facebook.com/groups/Guil...forGayMarriage
                FF
                sigpic

Comment

*heart* Sean Maher.
                  If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                  Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                  If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                  Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

While ive never seen an episode of firefly i just wanted to share my two cents worth

Originally posted by mandogater View Post
                    I sometimes wonder why actors take so long to come out. I understand love scenes could become more awkward and they could lose some fans. But it's the 21st Century for crying out loud!!! What someone does in their own bedroom is none of my concern. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who is very conservative on most issues.
                    Its not easy coming out to family & friends, little own the world i can totally understand why he took so long, plus i dont know why the love scenes would become more awkward then they already would be for him
                    Last Movie Watched
                    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                    Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                      Its not easy coming out to family & friends, little own the world i can totally understand why he took so long, plus i dont know why the love scenes would become more awkward then they already would be for him
                      In all honesty I was thinking more about the actress invovled in that case. I could be totally off base with this but I would think before him coming out women would just through themselves into a love scene with him like they would with any other good looking guy. But since he's come out, wouldn't they be a bit more worried about how to make the scene easier on him?

Comment

In all honesty I was thinking more about the actress invovled in that case. I could be totally off base with this but I would think before him coming out women would just through themselves into a love scene with him like they would with any other good looking guy. But since he's come out, wouldn't they be a bit more worried about how to make the scene easier on him?
                        That's why they are actors. Sean wasn't a doctor, Jewel wasn't a mechanic. He can act straight with a girl in a love scene. I'm sure, if Jewel is straight (I have no idea of her sexual orientation) she could act as a lesbian if a script called for it.

This looks to be the original article.
                        http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/26/fi...-comes-out-ga/
                        And, if you value your sanity, for heaven's sake, don't read the comments, there are still too many bigoted idiots out there who just don't get it - that it's not all about them and how they choose to live their sorry little lives - that it's about humanity and decency and living the best (and happiest) you can. If that means marrying the girl next door and having two natural born kids, that's fabulous. If that means marrying the boy next door and adopting two kids who need a home, that's fabulous too.

Sorry, soapbox moment, and I'm preaching to the converted in this thread.

FF
                        sigpic

Comment

That's why they are actors. Sean wasn't a doctor, Jewel wasn't a mechanic. He can act straight with a girl in a love scene. I'm sure, if Jewel is straight (I have no idea of her sexual orientation) she could act as a lesbian if a script called for it.

This looks to be the original article.
                          http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/09/26/fi...-comes-out-ga/
                          And, if you value your sanity, for heaven's sake, don't read the comments, there are still too many bigoted idiots out there who just don't get it - that it's not all about them and how they choose to live their sorry little lives - that it's about humanity and decency and living the best (and happiest) you can. If that means marrying the girl next door and having two natural born kids, that's fabulous. If that means marrying the boy next door and adopting two kids who need a home, that's fabulous too.

Sorry, soapbox moment, and I'm preaching to the converted in this thread.

FF
                          You make some very good points and I agree with all of them. Like I said, I may very well have been completely off base in my thinking and being from a small town I don't have a lot of personnel reference to draw from anyway.

Comment

You make some very good points and I agree with all of them. Like I said, I may very well have been completely off base in my thinking and being from a small town I don't have a lot of personnel reference to draw from anyway.
                            No problem! Things outside your comfort zone or immediate experience can flummox us all. Having a mind open enough to be compassionate towards our fellow human beings is by far and away the most important thing, whether you consider yourself to be conservative, liberal, radical or anything else.

FF
                            sigpic

Comment

No problem! Things outside your comfort zone or immediate experience can flummox us all. Having a mind open enough to be compassionate towards our fellow human beings is by far and away the most important thing, whether you consider yourself to be conservative, liberal, radical or anything else.

FF
                              From your post to the rest of the world!

Comment

Working...
                              X