This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romance/No Romance

Did you like it better in the old days when the Doctor had no romantic interest in anyone or now days when they show him in romantic situations? Personally I liked it better before, having no romantic interests added to the Doctor's alien factor for me. what about you?
    sigpic
    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Personally I love the way things they are with River, ie that she comes and she goes unexpectedly but for the most part the Doctor can go off & have adventures without the "romantic interest" tagging along interferring with the story line. I really hated the soppiness with Rose & the unrequited thing with Martha.

BTW we all know the fourth Doctor had a thing for Romana.

Comment

Closer to the mark to say that Tom had a thing for Mary. The 4th Doctor seemed a bit annoyed by the original Romana.
      sigpic

Comment

I don't like any romance. The companions since the relaunch have been terrible when it comes to this. Rose, Martha, Jack, River (she still counts), Amy.

That's one of the reasons I like Donna as the best of the new companions because she's there for the fun. It's not some obvious romance that everyone but The Doctor can see. The others would be all for it, but Donna would probably kick him if he tried anything. Rose wasn't too bad as it didn't happen right away but as much as I liked Martha, one kiss but it wasn't as bad as Amy who was ready to jump him the night before her wedding. There's a nice lesson for the kids.

I don't remember the early stuff that well, but given her status as a Time Lord/Lady (not sure on the proper term) that would be fine with me. It's when he shows up and the first human he decides to have join him falls madly in love with him.
        Last edited by SaberBlade; 27 September 2011, 01:59 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I can go for it with out the heavier romance. That and sort of stating that the Doctor (starting in the tennent ere) went around thru history having affairs with historical characters was too much for me. That and having all the women acting like The Doctor is the sexiest thing ever is up there too.

But sadly the Classic days are over and now if they don't toss in the soap opera type dramatics a tv show won't make it any more.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

sadly the Classic days are over and now if they don't toss in the soap opera type dramatics a tv show won't make it any more.
            Sadly, further proof of the near total corruption of the younger generation, few younger folks it seems can speak without using vulgarities, and they don't want programs without sexual innuendos.
            sigpic

Comment

Very true. Back in the old days. Dr.Who was one of the few shows I could watch and enjoy that didn't have the "Soap" that is so a part of today's Sci Fi genre.
              Like the Travesty that was The new BSG and Caprica.

ugghh.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

I agree with you 100%, which is why I will not watch Torchwood.
                sigpic

Comment

Ditto on that.
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Well I personally love new BSG and I have enjoyed the last two seasons of Torchwood.

However I'm not really a fan of Romance in Doctor Who. I hate Rose and the Doctor and Martha too.

Amy and River are exceptions because they are written in a far better way. Amy essentially only wanted the Doctor because she was getting cold feet about being married, and let's face it, unlike Rose and the Doctor, the Doctor didn't feel anything for Amy.

River is another exception because it is well written. River isn't just another companion, I can picture her being the Doctors type. And at the end of the day it's more about the Doctor being attractive to young girls than the other way around. The Doctor is too old for that sort of thing and certainly the 11th Doctor is written that way.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Rose was too much of a a Modern Girl. aka a whiney little princess.
                      Martha wasn't that bad but I didn't understand Donna at all! I mean she was what almost 40 but still acted like she was 19? What was the thinking with that?
                      I mean she was funny and had gumption and all but geeesh.

And River is cool too. I have no prob with her character just some of the over sappy elements of some of the stories.

And as for Torchwood. Heck I liked Capn Jack on DW. He was funny whitty and was at any moment willing to get into a 3 way with a Alien and a lawn chair.
                      But then he goes to torchwood and they literally sucked all the fun out of him.

*(no puns intended in that comment)*

And my main bias for NBSG was the girl they got to portray starbuck.
                      I had no prob with her being a woman. But WHY DID THEY PICK WHATSHER NAME FROM HALLOWEEN RESSURECTION!?
                      I hated her in that and her portrayal of SB on the show.

UHHHGGG!
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

i prefer no romance .. i mean really the doctor is travling with women 800 + years younger O.o
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                          i prefer no romance .. i mean really the doctor is travling with women 800 + years younger O.o
                          Perhaps that's why he left Gallifrey in the first place. An old man going on the run with a young girl who is claiming to be his granddaughter but may not be. Constantly finds new young women to travel with and conveniently leaves them after a few years for a new, younger girl who he then decides to go travelling with.

sigpic

Comment

Yes, he could be arrested for that on Omicron Theta VI
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                              Yes, he could be arrested for that on Omicron Theta VI
                              Could get your kneecaps shot for it here.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X