This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iris = bad

i search for it but didn't notice one already been discussed about..

i think that the earth gate shouldn't use the iris..
    what i am getting on with this is that the sg teams are explorers right..
    well what about all the other explorers of other planets?
    they don't know that earth gate has a iris blocking their path so those people would die even though they would come in peace..
    and then again why keep the iris closed cos the goa'uld know that earth gate has iris so they won't come to earth well atleast not in with more than only a couple of goa'ulds so the soldiers that come to the gate room should be able to handle them with ease..
    Before me you are a slug in the sun. You are privy to a great becoming and you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do only one thing correctly: tremble. Bur fear is not what you owe me.You and the others, YOU OWE ME AWE! - Francis Dolarhyde - Red Dragon

ATTENTION CHINESE / JAPANESE SPEAKERS!
    HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47319

"A Serpent guard, a Horus guard and a Setesh guard meet on a neutral planet. It is a tense moment. Serpent guards eyes glow, Horus guards beak glistens, Setesh guards nose.... drips" LOL

well usualy explorers dont just go to unkown worlds with out at least sending somthing throught to check it out, like the SGC sends the M.A.L.P throught, most people inteligent enought to operate the gate would send something through. i think now that we have the asgard beaming thing like in promethiuos we should have the stargate transported up into space on a little space station like the wraith have theres in put space thats way it woulsnot need an iris just put in an airlock and if an incoming wormwhole has enemys open the airlock and away they go, obviously have the iris incase of weapon threats etc.

EDIT: Soz i changed obiouslt to obviously
    Last edited by Steam; 28 January 2005, 02:34 PM.
    Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
    McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

1. They dont need the gate to come to earth, already proven.
      2. They dont need to send people, a bomb or other destructive device will do
      3. Most people so far cant work the stargate or dont have the adresses of any other planets, n im pretty sure any race who has so far might have stumbled on the wrong planet n decided not to try anymore. Would be bad if u showed up on a goauld home world right? i dont think ur ancestors would mind
      4. Most races with stargates have been opressed by the goauld which means they arent likely to wanna go travelling..
      5. The military would have the idea, 1 or 2 travelers...or an entire planet dead? I think they'd keep the iris. Theyve been willing to do worse for the defense of the world.
      6. The liklihood of another planet, "guessing" the earth location is....lets just say, less than likely...so the only people they worry about are the ones who would know it. the goauld.
      7. So far all the other races who are advanced enough, dont want anything to do with us, and if they do, they have means of getting thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
        well usualy explorers dont just go to unkown worlds with out at least sending somthing throught to check it out, like the SGC sends the M.A.L.P throught, most people inteligent enought to operate the gate would send something through. i think now that we have the asgard beaming thing like in promethiuos we should have the stargate transported up into space on a little space station like the wraith have theres in put space thats way it woulsnot need an iris just put in an airlock and if an incoming wormwhole has enemys open the airlock and away they go, obiosult have the iris incase of weapon threats etc.
        You'd still need the iris because u cant tell if its a weapon or a person...

Comment

Originally posted by LostGodAnubis
          You'd still need the iris because u cant tell if its a weapon or a person...
          did you not read the last sentence? i said i would still keep the iris just incase

Comment

The iris has saved the earth from destruction a number of times from bombs. Off the top of my head, The Enemy Within, 2001, and Lost City

Comment

Originally posted by Steam
              did you not read the last sentence? i said i would still keep the iris just incase
              what the hell is obiosult?

n still..if ur gonna have it in space or down on earth, why bring it to space when it would be much more cost efficient to leave it on earth if its protected

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                The iris has saved the earth from destruction a number of times from bombs. Off the top of my head, The Enemy Within, 2001, and Lost City
                And don't forget A Matter of Time, and Redemption

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                Spoiler:

Comment

The iris is a intrical part of the gates safety....the liklihood of incoming "explorers" it sos slim its funny....let alone the military not caring. Think of all the things theyve done, do u think they care if someone comes cruisin thru?

Comment

Originally posted by mammon
                    i search for it but didn't notice one already been discussed about..

i think that the earth gate shouldn't use the iris..
                    what i am getting on with this is that the sg teams are explorers right..
                    well what about all the other explorers of other planets?
                    they don't know that earth gate has a iris blocking their path so those people would die even though they would come in peace..
                    and then again why keep the iris closed cos the goa'uld know that earth gate has iris so they won't come to earth well atleast not in with more than only a couple of goa'ulds so the soldiers that come to the gate room should be able to handle them with ease..
                    Have you ever counted the incidents throughout the SG-1 series where the Iris was the only thing between Earth and a lot of trouble? It has saved us many times. The Iris is our back-up in case we can't stop something bad from making it through the gate. Granted, it's not perfect. But it's highly effective in what it does. Think of the Iris as the front door to your house. Would you live in a house without a front door? Nobody would. Why? Because someone could just walk right into your house whenever they wanted. The Iris serves the same purpose as your house's front door.

Comment

Originally posted by LostGodAnubis
                      what the hell is obiosult?

n still..if ur gonna have it in space or down on earth, why bring it to space when it would be much more cost efficient to leave it on earth if its protected
                      k i just edited me post it was meant to be obviously

Comment

Okay, but still...if ur gonna put it in space AND keep the iris...whats the point of having it in space? Would cost to much....

Comment

can milky way gates be put in space
                          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                            can milky way gates be put in space
                            Yes. Because in Within the Serpent's Grasp, The Serpent Within and Nemisis they did it.

Comment

Theres no reason why it cant be, ours was in space as well. Just pointless

Comment

Working...
                              X