Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching SG-1 for the first time! Plus a blog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching SG-1 for the first time! Plus a blog!

As I've slowly become more acquainted with this site over the past, oh, twenty-four hours or something, I've come to realize that the whole "blog as you watch" thing is pretty common. But what I've also noticed is that most of these people have already seen the series, and so they're merely re-watching.

So what have I, a complete noob to all things Stargate and a person who generally has no idea what she's doing, decided to do? Summarize, review, and comment on each episode. You could literally follow my blog and never have to watch the series.

It's largely inspired by the Sparknotes "Sparklife" Blog, "Blogging Twilight", as written by the amazing Dan Bergstein. Same kind of format, anyways. I like to poke fun at the characters, point out cliches and literary devices, and the like. I can be a little (lot) long-winded in my reviews so you can just skim the boring summary parts if you ever decide to check it out.

So, I present to you...
    Blogging Stargate SG-1

I'm already about 8; 9 episodes through and I update in my signature, too. You can comment here or there if you so desire, tell me I'm an idiot and I need to get a life, tell me to stop being biased towards Teal'c (I may have to attempt to injure you though), or whatever. All comments loved and appreciated!

Oh, and just as clarification, I'll be keeping my blog posts on the above website (Blogspot). It's just easier and I would hate to clog up this lovely forum.
    Last edited by CMWriter; 04 December 2011, 11:03 AM.

Don't worry about clogging up the forum, it's there to post in.
    sigpic

Comment

Glad you're liking SG...as they say...resistance is futile...oh wait...wrong series!
      sigpic

Comment

there is never to many threads about new fans . glad your liking it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          Glad you're liking SG...as they say...resistance is futile...oh wait...wrong series!
          Lol! I like that series too, but I've already gone through it, haha.

Originally posted by blueray View Post
          there is never to many threads about new fans . glad your liking it.
          Yeah, I noticed that! Well, I'm sure most people don't join a forum like this unless they're well-established with the series. I did just the opposite and joined this in order to become more acquainted with Stargate as a whole. Of course it means I have to be very careful where I click (darned spoilers!) but it's more fun to go through a series when you have people to share your experiences with. (:

To be honest I'm a little surprised with myself; that I'm liking it so much. I'm usually so picky and I was pretty skeptical going into this series. But there are some solid characters in this series and I'm really loving their development thus far. I don't think I even liked a couple of the Star Treks this much, so early in!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.
          Last edited by CMWriter; 22 September 2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

welcome to the 'gate verse. you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be mad, you'll be frustrated. but that is what makes stargate so special. it'll show you friendship, courage and what it means to be a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
              welcome to the 'gate verse. you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be mad, you'll be frustrated. but that is what makes stargate so special. it'll show you friendship, courage and what it means to be a hero.
              I've done pretty much all of those things already! I've found it's actually a very well-rounded series in terms of writing. There are times I just start to die laughing because it's so hysterical. O'Neill has some fantastic dialogue and he's such a goofball sometimes. It's nice to see a commander (er, colonel) who takes his job seriously but still has a snarky, sarcastic sense of humour. And of course just about everything Teal'c says makes me burst into giggles.

But at the same time, there's a lot of heartfelt moments between the characters. There's truly this sense of "I've got your back and you've got mine" trust between them and it grows stronger with each mission. However, there are also times when their collective friendship is challenged by one thing or another. It's really different from the only other space-faring series I'm familiar with, Star Trek, but perhaps that's the appeal.

Comment

You'll come to like the Unas. Thats all I'm going to say. lol
                sigpic
                Check out my blog/forum! http://williamtelltale.blogspot.com/

Sci Fi TV shows I have watched all of: Star Trek (all shows), Battlestar Galactica (All shows) Firefly, V (old and new) Caprica, SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Stargate Universe, Fringe, Farscape, Lexx, Babylon 5

Currently watching: The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Dr Who, Supernatural, Revolution, Red Dwarf, Under the Dome, Sleepy Hollow, Andromeda

Comment

Originally posted by Phinguyver View Post
                  You'll come to like the Unas. Thats all I'm going to say. lol
                  Really? I dunno. But I'll keep that in mind.
                  The thing was butt-ugly. That's about the nicest thing I can say.

About to start my "Bloodlines" review. Uugh so lazy. I already watched it but I was too busy being transfixed on Teal'c and his general awesomeness that I couldn't write. Should be in within the hour! (:

Thanks for all the support folks!

Comment

CMWriter...you'll have to keep us posted as you traverse through the episodes.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just updated. Find the "Bloodlines" review [http://blogging-stargate.blogspot.co...-x-11.htmll]at this link[/url]. : D

Definitely my favourite episode thus far. Bra'tac is a freaking beast! I love it! Coolest guest star ever. It's like if you took Chuck Norris, gave him emotion, and made him this super amazing awesome Jaffa of epicness. As I said, he's now my second-favourite Jaffa. |D

Part of me wants to know if he returns, and I have a strong feeling he will, and maybe Teal'c's family too..? No one's dead, so the possibility exists.

Really, really brilliant episode. The scene where Teal'c breaks down completely in front of his destroyed house is heartbreaking. But his son is the cutest thing everrr~ A bit of deus ex machina going on with the second symbiote but I won't complain. Teal'c's okay and that's all that matters.

But what other secrets is he keeping..?
                      Last edited by CMWriter; 04 December 2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                        Just updated. Find the "Bloodlines" review at this link. : D

Definitely my favourite episode thus far. Bra-tac is a freaking beast! I love it! Coolest guest star ever. It's like if you took Chuck Norris, gave him emotion, and made him this super amazing awesome Jaffa of epicness. As I said, he's now my second-favourite Jaffa. |D

Part of me wants to know if he returns, and I have a strong feeling he will, and maybe Teal'c's family too..? No one's dead, so the possibility exists.

Really, really brilliant episode. The scene where Teal'c breaks down completely in front of his destroyed house is heartbreaking. But his son is the cutest thing everrr~ A bit of deus ex machina going on with the second symbiote but I won't complain. Teal'c's okay and that's all that matters.

But what other secrets is he keeping..?
                        Uggg...lets please not insult Bra'tac by comparing him to Chuck Norris...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Uggg...lets please not insult Bra'tac by comparing him to Chuck Norris...
                          Lol! True that. My apologies. He's far superior in every way. There is no suitable comparison.
                          People should start comparing Chuck Norris to Bra-tac. |D

(Sorry. Big fan of internet memes here. If it isn't obvious from my blog, which I kind of hope not. xD)

Comment

Originally posted by CMWriter View Post
                            Lol! True that. My apologies. He's far superior in every way. There is no suitable comparison.
                            People should start comparing Chuck Norris to Bra-tac. |D

(Sorry. Big fan of internet memes here. If it isn't obvious from my blog, which I kind of hope not. xD)
                            Its all good...I guess I'm just Chuck Norrised out.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Fire and Water" is [http://blogging-stargate.blogspot.com/2011/09/fire-and-water-1-x-12.html]done[/url]! Got kind of a "meh" review from me but it was a solid episode. I liked some of the implications.

Also I had a lot of fun predicting the next episode even I did all that purely "for the lulz".
                              You know Voldemort must be a Goa'uld! You know it as well as I do!
                              Also, the time frame of that last Harry Potter book is like 1997-1998 which coincides quite well with SG-1... but now I'm just stretching it/rambling. xD Big Potter fan here. IGNORE ME.
                              Last edited by CMWriter; 04 December 2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X