This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restructuring Sanctuary Folder - Open Discussion

I'd like anyone and everyone to participate. The idea has been brought up to loosen some of the structure in place in this folder. Namely, as I understand it, some would like the separation of the announcements only and discussion threads to be ended.

This thread is open to ANY and EVERY idea. Should things be changed? Are they fine as they are? Are there other things you think would work better?

Please post your ideas, opinions, thoughts here. If someone doesn't feel comfortable speaking up, they can PM me and I'll post their thoughts anonymously (that said....folks, it's your folder, speak up and express yourself, because while I will protect folks' anonymity, getting things out in the open and dealing with it is far better than lurking in the shadows)
    Yes - suggestions below
    60.00%
    No, leave it be
    20.00%
    Don't care
    20.00%
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

i'd like more streamlining of the threads, less separating of discussions from articles and announcements and spoilers, etc.

for me, it'll just make a more user-friendly version: a one-for-everything kind of thread. since we're not that big (amount of ppl posting) in the sanctuary section, i don't see this as a large hardship for posting.

~i do like the specific episode threads.
    sally

sigpic

Comment

I agree with ^^, the specific episode threads are great!
      I'm happy with the way the Sanctuary threads work, really
      sigpic
      Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
      'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
      : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
      I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
      Indeed

Comment

If, for ex, Annoucments and discussion get put together ppl have to be carefull how far the discussion goes. Otherwise you get a thread full of smileys and not so related comments. And going tru all that to read the spoilers can be very annoying.
        Sorry, not very constructive. Maybe there could be a way to highlight the annoucment posts? Maybe post it in another color, a specific color that no other post can use? But that way new ppl won't know
        Ok I give up.

Comment

That could be an idea Kes. Announcements would be made, say, in red letters so people can scroll to them without getting lost in all the chit chat.

That said, those quoting the announcement would have to remove the color formatting.

I can honestly see both sides of the issue. I can see the frustration of news getting lost in post after post of nothing but fluff or squeeing or whinging. I can also see the frustration of reading an announcement and trying to discuss and then having your posts deleted (at times it's a daily chore for the mods to have to go in and delete posts made by those that don't pay attention to what thread they're in and who post talk in the announcement thread)

PERSONALLY, I don't like the rigid structure. Because it's very off putting. However, it's also very annoying to see threads go off topic as members chit chat.....so I have no strong feelings either way. and my personal feelings have nothing to do with this discussion and its outcome.

What I'd like to hear is others' opinions. Ideas that you have. Reasons it's fine the way it is, reasons it should change. pros and cons.

No idea is too stupid honestly. The goal here is whether or not we revamp and if we do, that we revamp in a way that's better to more.

sigpic

Comment

The most confusing thing is that there are now several announcements only threads, several discussion threads for all seasons and specific ones per season and another one with twitter/facebook updates.

As far as I'm aware, most of the information for the announcement only threads comes from cons, articles, twitter and facebook. Why not put all those in one announcement only thread and use one thread for discussions for all seasons so far. Of course the individual threads regarding season 4 (or 5, 6 etc; the most newest season) can still exist, but I assume most of the discussion would be in the central discussion thread or the separate episode threads (which I really like).

Personally I'd prefer a separate characters (with shipper/thunk and individual threads) and games subforum too, but that's just because I like to organize all my electronic things in (sub)folders...
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
              The most confusing thing is that there are now several announcements only threads, several discussion threads for all seasons and specific ones per season and another one with twitter/facebook updates.

As far as I'm aware, most of the information for the announcement only threads comes from cons, articles, twitter and facebook. Why not put all those in one announcement only thread and use one thread for discussions for all seasons so far. Of course the individual threads regarding season 4 (or 5, 6 etc; the most newest season) can still exist, but I assume most of the discussion would be in the central discussion thread or the separate episode threads (which I really like).

Personally I'd prefer a separate characters (with shipper/thunk and individual threads) and games subforum too, but that's just because I like to organize all my electronic things in (sub)folders...
              Well Twitter and Facebook isnt always spoilers or news. The idea is to share what crew/actors post for ppl that don't use twitter or facebok can read.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              That could be an idea Kes. Announcements would be made, say, in red letters so people can scroll to them without getting lost in all the chit chat.

That said, those quoting the announcement would have to remove the color formatting.

I can honestly see both sides of the issue. I can see the frustration of news getting lost in post after post of nothing but fluff or squeeing or whinging. I can also see the frustration of reading an announcement and trying to discuss and then having your posts deleted (at times it's a daily chore for the mods to have to go in and delete posts made by those that don't pay attention to what thread they're in and who post talk in the announcement thread)
              Sounds cool to me

PERSONALLY, I don't like the rigid structure. Because it's very off putting. However, it's also very annoying to see threads go off topic as members chit chat.....so I have no strong feelings either way. and my personal feelings have nothing to do with this discussion and its outcome.
              Exactly. Some times I want to comment something but I know I cant so I have to copy and go to the annoucements but that way the person that posted might not see it. But at the same time I don't want to have to look for the spoilers.
              Maybe something simpler. Like sticking the annoucements threads. And whomever wants to can post in both. In the annoucments and discussion. So the ppl that just want to read the spoilers have the sticky thread and the others can go to the discussion. Post the news in red in the discussion thread.
              Same porblem?
              Last edited by kes; 12 September 2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

I think there should be an announcement thread and a discussion thread. If people want to discuss they can quote the news into a discussion thread and then go to town.

I agree about the twitter/facebook quotes. That thread was designed to allow peeps who weren't tweeps to see what was being said. And much of that is just the cast/crew having fun, not spoilers. Certainly those can go in an announcement thread or be discussed elsewhere too.

I don't see an issue with streamlining some of the threads.
                Last edited by suse; 12 September 2011, 05:41 AM.
                sigpic
                Mourning Sanctuary.
                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                  I agree with this. I think it would give the forum a more streamlined look and make it a bit easier to navigate and find the thread you are looking for.

I like having a separate thread for twitter and facebook updates, etc. It makes it easier to quickly glance in there and see if there have been any Sanctuary related things without having to sift through a sometimes bogged down twitter feed, if I have been offline for a day or two. Having to sift through a general announcement thread would take away that nice little convenience.
                  Signature by Glitch33.
                  sigpic
                  Official assistant thread elf of the Nikola Tesla/Jonathon Young appreciation thread and member of the Teslen thread.

Comment

I like them as they are, it's much easier to find the new announcements and not wade through all the discussion. Since they are seperated by seasons, perhaps the older sesason announcement threads should be closed.
                    sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                      I like them as they are, it's much easier to find the new announcements and not wade through all the discussion. Since they are seperated by seasons, perhaps the older sesason announcement threads should be closed.
                      I don't see why one announcement thread and one discussion thread wouldn't suffice. Why make a new thread for every new season and keep the general one? Most of the news/discussion is about the newest episodes/seasons, so why make one separate thread for every season?
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

One issue with that is different start dates for different countries and people that want to discuss without being spoiled.

sigpic

Comment

I don't know if this is the kind of opinion you're looking for... but you can take/leave it as you like.

I prefer compartmentalized sections... Like a section for announcements, a section for character/actor appreciation, a section for art, a section for episode discussion, a section for misc (like games and such)...

A good example would be the SG-1 forum. I love that forum cuz it's super easy to find everything, and I don't have to scroll through a whole bunch of jumbled topics to find the one I want.

But that's just me, and I know not everyone prefers the anal retentive approach. And I'm relatively new here, so... as long as the whole thing stays up and running, I'm a happy camper, seriously.

Comment

What about adding just one folder that's the equivalent of Stargate's Fandom, Fan Fiction and Fun & Games folders. That way things like art, games, fan fiction, conventions, etc. are in one folder and everything not in a folder like discussions, characters, etc. can remain where they are.

Signs by Scifan and me. | My Forum - Planet TV Role Play | My Fan Fiction | My Mini City - Rygel City

Comment

One issue with that is different start dates for different countries and people that want to discuss without being spoiled.
                              Ah yes, sometimes I forget some people actually watch what's on TV But the discussion thread could be used to speculate about the coming episodes/season much like it is now, the seasonal subfora could be used to discuss the episodes (which would take care of the different start dates) and all other things like characters' hairstyles or something could be made in a separate thread.
                              On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Working...
                              X