Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Reset' - The beginning of Torchwood's downfall...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Reset' - The beginning of Torchwood's downfall...?

Rewatching Torchwood S2 at the moment, and it occured to me that all of a sudden, Torchwood 3 has just gone directly against Whitehall. The Pharm was a legitimatly sanctioned and sponsored British operation on behalf of the British government.

Torchwood has always been a bit maverick, but unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time they work directly against the British establishment, cementing their reputation as mavericks. Could this have been what prompted the infiltration operations of Torchwood 3 that we first see at the start of 'Children of Earth'? We know that Rupesh was meant to become a mole for the unnamed organisation so prominent in COE...

Ultimately, could this incident have been part of the reason John Frobisher so willingly signed off on Torchwood's death in COE...

Thoughts?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I suppose you could even run that line of reasoning back to Everything Changes. Torchwood was basically a shadow wing of government up until the Battle of Canary Wharf, dedicated solely to the protection and advancement of Queen and country. When Jack took it over he re-focused it to be in the interest of all humanity, which led to conflicts with particular governments.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I was looking for a thread about Owen's death... wondering what people thought at the time... if it was common knowledge that he died... (yes, I know he's not gone quite yet)

And saw this thread... and thought you actually meant the end of the series... Killing off one of the main characters, out of the blue... Probably one of the most popular, or at least, most interesting (certainly moreso than Gwen, Tosh, or Ianto).

I gather Tosh dies soon too (? *shrug* ?), which would further alienate the audience...
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Working...
      X