This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip to Saturn

Can someone please tell me how long it would take for us to get to saturn?I'M a little puzzled as i was reading that these probes take like 7 years to get there.or did i misunderstand the article.

If I remember right, Voyager 1 took about three years. That said, if Earth is at it's closest to the Sun and Saturn is furthest from it, then distance time would greatly vary.

sigpic

Comment

so a manned ship would take how long?

Comment

Originally posted by caribsci View Post
        so a manned ship would take how long?
        It's impossible to say, really, but if Voyager 1 took three years, I'd say that that's probably a good figure to apply to manned flight as well. Of course, it all depends on what kind of rocket is used, where the planets are positioned, etc... But count a few years at least with modern technology (not that modern technology would really allow a flight to Saturn to begin with, but hypothetically).
        My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

It quite literally depends on the alignment of the planets. When launching probes, NASA/ESA/etc use planetary gravity wells to accelerate and slingshot the probes so they get to their destination faster. As said above, it could take as little as a year, but without proper planetary alignment to take advantage of (a circumstance which depends on the proper alignment of numerous moving parts making calculations exponentially more complicated), the length of the trip may take exponentially longer than that.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

thanks a lot for the answers guys.i was just wondering..........Dark AGES be damned......but y are we not on other planets yet.i thought it would take a bazillion years or so.

Comment

thanks a lot for the answers guys.i was just wondering..........Dark AGES be damned......but y are we not on other planets yet.i thought it would take a bazillion years or so.
              Money, mostly. It'll take a heck of a lot of cash to get anywhere past lower-Earth orbit.

Comment

yeah but i think if its important enough that money can be pulled out of a hat.

Comment

just use a tardis
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

yeah but i think if its important enough that money can be pulled out of a hat.
                    Important is a relative idea - compared to what? Feeding the malnourished? Educating the ignorant? Treating the sick? Protecting those in danger? Providing for the aged? Maintaining employment? Unfortunately the hat isn't unlimited, and choices have to be made. I'm not saying that all the choices our society has made have necessarily been good or wise (or bad for that matter), but they are choices that have already been made and have reduced our ability to make other choices, like space exploration. Pharaoh Atem has a good idea - get a TARDIS.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                      Important is a relative idea - compared to what? Feeding the malnourished? Educating the ignorant? Treating the sick? Protecting those in danger? Providing for the aged? Maintaining employment? Unfortunately the hat isn't unlimited, and choices have to be made. I'm not saying that all the choices our society has made have necessarily been good or wise (or bad for that matter), but they are choices that have already been made and have reduced our ability to make other choices, like space exploration. Pharaoh Atem has a good idea - get a TARDIS.
                      Amen. Space exploration is important, but not as important as dealing with the problems back home on Earth.

Comment

The only tangible reason for space exploration is exploitation. Plundering the resources of other planets in the solar system is, imo, likely to be the only thing that will truely reinvigorate Earth's expansion into the stars.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes lets build the Earth Empire. Muhahahaha .

Comment

You guys might want to take a look at this page of technologies that do benefit humanity that were developed by the space program before you guys condemn it:

http://techtran.msfc.nasa.gov/at_home.html

Comment

I don't think anybody here condemned it.
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                              X