No announcement yet.

The God Complex (3211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why did Rory see an emergency exit when no-one else did and why did it turn into a room door??

Comment

I think that got covered when the Doctor figured out the Faith part, Rory has never shown faith in anything, except himself when he toughens up after travelling with the Doctor for awhile. But even then, Rory's isnt so much faith in himself as it is a simple confidence.

I think the door appeared so the ship could let him out to keep him from interfering with the ships plans for the others.

Either that or it was really dark and the ship wanted to space him to get rid of him.

Old Who already did that in the form of the Valeyard
      I know about the Valeyard, i was just saying that given the Valeyard is supposed to be between his 12th and 13th regenerations, our Doctor is on number 11, if he IS headed for the Valeyard scenario then wouldnt it make sense for the Doctor to start becoming progressively darker the closer he gets?

Not to mention everything the Doctors been through over the millenia

N.C

Comment

I really enjoyed that episode. It was creepy. It was moving. And not being a finalé the ending took me completely by surprise. I'm going to join in the "What was the Doctor's room?" speculation and say it was the Doctor surrounded by the wreckage of all his companion's lives.

I loved how utterly clueless the Doctor was about the subtext of the minotaur's final speech and it had to throw all subtlety away and say it outright.
        Last edited by pbellosom; 18 September 2011, 07:55 AM.

Comment

A good episode. I must agree that the Doctor did see himself in some form in room #11, with the cloister bell ringing I thought perhaps he was seeing the moment at the end of the Time War when he time locked Gallifrey.
          sigpic
          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

You know, with the ending of this episode, if the Companions are always in danger like this and have to be saved from being changed, then I have to question what the point is to having them. I understand that the original point of having them was to ground the Doctor and help him appreciate humanity more, but really, if they are always in such danger then maybe he should just travel alone.

Comment

they are always in danger...but they are also the only thing keeping him from becoming a megalomaniac bad guy. he endangers them but they are the only thing keeping him from becoming a 'james bond villain'

he needs to risk human life to keep in touch with his humanity.

he has ultimate power, and that ultimate power can corrupt ultimately, and the companions are the only thing keeping that from happening.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So for Classic who fans.........................Who else reckoned the Minotaur looked to be the same species as the monster from the End of 'Battlefield'?
                Even fits with the idea of them being a race that feeds off faith and fear.
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                  You know, with the ending of this episode, if the Companions are always in danger like this and have to be saved from being changed, then I have to question what the point is to having them. I understand that the original point of having them was to ground the Doctor and help him appreciate humanity more, but really, if they are always in such danger then maybe he should just travel alone.
                  Well yeah, he probably shouldn't have companions. In fact several times in New Who he has loudly proclaimed that he's not having any more companions because even though he needs them, it's dangerous for them and it shouldn't be about his needs. But he just doesn't have the willpower to give them up for long.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    So for Classic who fans.........................Who else reckoned the Minotaur looked to be the same species as the monster from the End of 'Battlefield'?
                    Even fits with the idea of them being a race that feeds off faith and fear.
                    I haven't watched Battlefield yet, but I was pretty stoked that they mentioned the Nimon
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by PMN1 View Post
                      Why did Rory see an emergency exit when no-one else did and why did it turn into a room door??
                      They explained that in the episode. Rory had no belief the minotaur could feed on, so it showed him the exit.

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                      When he travels alone, things like "The Waters of mars" happen.

Comment

"Classic Who"

"Nu Who"

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyhoo...Amy and Rory as companions are special cases. The Doctor's involvement with Amy at such a young age affected everything for her from age 6 and up. She's been caught up in that life for a very long time and it reflected on to Rory too so they haven't known too much of anything else. The Doctor's let her and Rory go so they can try and live the lives they should have had without interference from him. They've gone to finally grow up.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

When he travels alone, things like "The Waters of mars" happen.
                          Or "The Deadly Assassin".
                          sigpic
                          Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                            Or "The Deadly Assassin".
                            Speaking of that story...depending on how you count Grace Holloway, Donna Noble in The Runaway Bride, Astrid Peth, Jackson Lake, Christina de Souza, Adelaide Brooke, and Wilfred Mott...Closing Time next Saturday could very well be the first story since 1976's The Deadly Assassin that the Doctor has been companion-less! Wow!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

My personal best line: "Don't talk to the clown!"

So, where did the Doctor get a car and house from though? Effectively just a cheap trick, like jumping back in time to untie/tie your own tie? Or a genuine gift for some loyal companions - if so, why not for previous ones? Surely they already had their old lives, set up in the most boring village in the country...?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                                My personal best line: "Don't talk to the clown!"

So, where did the Doctor get a car and house from though? Effectively just a cheap trick, like jumping back in time to untie/tie your own tie? Or a genuine gift for some loyal companions - if so, why not for previous ones? Surely they already had their old lives, set up in the most boring village in the country...?
                                He gave Sarah Jane Smith her own model of K-9 and also a Sonic Lipstick and a Scanner Watch but only after he met her again. Other companions he hasn't looked back on. As for Amy and Rory's lives in Leadworth...those lives were still being overshadowed by the Doctor for years. The Doctor's removed his shadow from off their lives now and he's letting them live as they should have done before. He's rescued them from him. Their adventure is life on Earth now.

Comment

Working...
                                X