• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The God Complex (3211)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 32
    THE GOD COMPLEX
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3211 (611)
    The Doctor and his companions are trapped in a hotel of horrors, where guests are subject to their worst nightmares orchestrated by a malevolent being that is invoking their worship.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 27 September 2011, 01:22 PM.

Aha! Beat ya this week

Well that was an interesting episode...
    Wasnt expecting that ending though, well, kinda did, but I thought it would be done in a different way, also in a different episode...
    Overall the episode was quite a good one, but I wanted to see the Doctors fear! lol
    Nice to see David Walliams in Doctor Who, his character was a bit of a chicken though... lol
    Nice to see Amy has so much faith in the Doctor, but was interesting to see the Doctor take off that faith to get them out...
    Some nice comedic moments as always, 'Somebody hit me, was it Amy?' Lol! Rory is awesome.
    I wonder how Amy and Rory will come back to the Doctor, or will they even come back at all...

Next weeks episode looks quite good, but looks like they arent giving any clues on how it will lead to the finale.
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 17 September 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Quite enjoyed that. Some great lines.
      • The Doctor and hats again - even when they're not on his head, Eleven seems to be obsessed with hats of every description, even those large enough to serve as tourism information offices.
      • "Amy, with regret, you're fired." If only...
      • The Doctor has a degree in cheesemaking? Somehow, I'm not surprised.
      • "Somebody hit me - was it Amy?"
      • The Rory-Awesomeness Quotient goes up, this time largely in dialogue and concerning a car. Arthur Darvill will go far.
      • Of course, the house at the end had to have a TARDIS blue front door, didn't it?
      • Probably a wise decision not to show what the Doctor saw in his room. Anything else would only have ultimately been torn apart or considered a let down.
      • Blimey, didn't see that ending coming, at least not in this episode. Maybe the finale, but not two episodes before.
      • Anybody else actually feel sad for the alien minotaur thing?
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

"The Stage is set"

A phrase that jumps to mind once the black roll son this episode.

I could've sworn after the
        Spoiler:
        minotaurs either warning of an impending Omega's return, or the Doctors description
        that we were gonna hear "Silence will fall" from some direction.

Overall an enjoyable episode with enough mystery and questions to make up for the setting and elevator music

N.C

*PS - Was i mistaken in hearing the Cloister bell in the Doctors room?

Comment

That was so freaking sad.
          I loved it to bits.
          Last edited by Lahela; 17 September 2011, 11:33 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Great episode! Very chilling with some wonderful lines of dialogue!

I'm desperately wondering what lay behind door 11 for the Doctor - what or who was there and causing the sound of the Cloister Bell to ring?!

Thoroughly enjoyed it! Great to see the Weeping Angels (even if they were only illusions), great to see young Amelia again (even if she was only an illusion) and the scene between her and the Doctor was wonderful and moving!

The brief mention of the Nimon tickled me and I was totally shocked and surprised at the departure of Amy and Rory at the end!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
            K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Amy and Rory aren't gone forever. Next episode, sure, but they'll be back before the season ends.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                Amy and Rory aren't gone forever. Next episode, sure, but they'll be back before the season ends.
                Well they do have to come back at some point because the Doctor that left them behind on Earth has to age, invite past versions of Amy and Rory to meet him in Utah, and let them witness his death at the hands of the Astronaut. Whether they will be companions again though is another thing all together.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Part of me thinks this is the end of Amy and Rory's regular travels with the Doctor, barring the occasional one or two episode return. There have been a lot of rumours to this effect flying around, and while I don't put much stock in them, it does at least 'feel' right.

Besides, the Doctor seemed to have made quite a significant decision to save Amy and Rory, and plot-wise their big 'purpose' has been revealed. All in all, not a bad send off.
                  And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

1. "Here comes a chopper to chop off your head...". Slightly spooky.

2. Why the hell use a dodgy Earth hotel as an environment for something like this?

3. It was wierd in that there weren't any real bad guys this time round.

4. Exit Amy and Rory with two eps to go? OK...what now?

OK ep but I hope the next two eps are better.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      Part of me thinks this is the end of Amy and Rory's regular travels with the Doctor, barring the occasional one or two episode return. There have been a lot of rumours to this effect flying around, and while I don't put much stock in them, it does at least 'feel' right.

Besides, the Doctor seemed to have made quite a significant decision to save Amy and Rory, and plot-wise their big 'purpose' has been revealed. All in all, not a bad send off.
                      I think so too. It feels to me like the end of Amy and Rory's TARDIS travels. They may make their return as Captain Jack Harkness did in Season 29 and Martha Jones did in Season 30...but whether they'll be returning as companions again I'm highly doubtful of...but this IS Doctor Who. Never say never.

Comment

Well.

The first twenty minutes or so were a bit off, but it started to pick up after that--definitely enjoyed Rita (though they killed her; WHY?), and Rory was awesome as usual. "Someone hit me--was it Amy?" and his reaction over the car. Sweet. Though I do wonder when the Doctor had the time to do that...

Once again, several one-liners from the Doctor. My personal favorite being "At the moment I don't know how bad, but certainly we're three buses, a long walk and eight quid in a taxi from good."

The score was very nice, while we're at it. An interesting little motif for the first Minotaur chase; it certainly had a different sound from Murray's previous work. That being said, there were some interesting selections from last season's score: a bit odd when The Sun's Gone Wibbly started immediately after a somewhat tense scene, but then we had The Life and Death of Amy Pond during the scene where the Doctor was breaking Amy's faith in him, and then to round it off, the beautifully tragic Can I Come With You? when Amy and the Doctor said goodbye... Yes. Very good choices indeed.

What else... ah yes. The Doctor's room? It seems it can only have contained one thing; drawing from Amy's Choice and a myriad of other stray comments, coupled with the cloister bell we heard, I imagine it was the Doctor himself.

The last scene, was... ouch. Really depressing. The Doctor all alone in the control room was powerful, to say the least. It's probably my favorite send-off for a companion in NuWho, actually. So, while I did feel a bit cheated that Rory basically got sidelined during the goodbye scene, however, I consider that almost proof that that's not the last we'll see of Mr. and Mrs. Williams () this season.

On the whole, an OK plot that served as an excuse for the final conversation with Amy and Doctor. 7/10.

EDIT: Oh! I forgot to mention the hotel numbers! Amy's was seven (the age she met the Doctor), and the Doctor's was eleven. For obvious reasons. Nice little continuity nod, there...
                        Last edited by Carter1994; 17 September 2011, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Could the Doctors fear have been himself either using the heart of the TARDIS to power the "moment" in the TimeWar or himself in a full dark incarnation? - considering weve seen him getting progressively more darkside since Matt Smiths tenure began

N.C

Comment

To me, it didnt feel like a sendoff for Amy and Rory, I think we will definately be seeing them atleast one more time, I think they will become a minor role in season 7, as theyve already said they will be returing in series 7...

Comment

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
                              Could the Doctors fear have been himself either using the heart of the TARDIS to power the "moment" in the TimeWar or himself in a full dark incarnation? - considering weve seen him getting progressively more darkside since Matt Smiths tenure began

N.C
                              The Cloister Bell usually rings as a harbinger of dangers and disasters. It won't ring for just any little old danger or disaster. Whatever it was the Doctor saw in his room must have been MASSIVELY bad if it inspired the Cloister Bell to ring.

Comment

Working...
                              X