• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Girl Who Waited (3210)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO - SERIES 32
    THE GIRL WHO WAITED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3210 (610)
    Rory and the Doctor try to rescue Amy after she is trapped in a quarantine facility where time passes more quickly, only to encounter her embittered future self.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 27 September 2011, 12:42 PM.

So then:
    • Planet of the coffee shops
    • "Ah, that'll be the small act of vandalism alarm."
    • Did she just say disneyland clom?
    • "Eyes front soldier"
    • "Sit down Rory"
    • Karen's prosthetic was quite good.
    • Wait, she made her own sonic screwdriver probe?
    • I quite liked it when Rory does the "look me in the face and say it now" bit.
    • "So basically if you're Amy then."
    • No, not the karaoke bar!

Overall, pretty damn enjoyable and a definite improvement on last week's episode.

Whoa, on Doctor Who Confidential did I just see Arthur Darvill with a beard? Awesome! If Arthur can (sort of) pull it off, I must be one step closer to actually being cool...
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Gahh! Darn it, beaten again! Im losing my touch!

Wow, what an episode!
      A curry and Doctor Who, always a nice combo!
      Started of a bit slow, but picked up pace quickly and that ending was brilliant acting!
      Was strange seeing an older Amy, especially one that hated the Doctor
      Anyone catch the line the Tenth Doctor used to use?
      Also, wow, the Doctor was a bit harsh in this one, but you can understand why he had to do it. Use old Amy and promise her freedom to get young Amy back, then shut the door literally in her face!
      That showed a slightly different side to the Doctor, but you can understand why he did it.
      Amazing performances from Karen and Arthur tonight, and cant wait for next week!

Next week looks like its going to be an awesome episode!
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 10 September 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Well that was heartbreaking. Definitely the single dickish thing the Doctor has done since the show returned. Wow. People keep forgetting Rule #1.

I'm wondering, given that we now know of a contagious disease that kills people with two hearts whether the Doctor's encounter with the space man on the lake is part of a Dumbledore gambit if he's dying anyway...

Comment

Totally not near sobbing at the end... its my blasted cold, why won't you believe me?!

*ahem* Anyway...

I thought this was a really good episode and some very stellar performances all round. Old Amy was defiantly very bitter towards the Doctor and understandably really! Also shows that travelling with the Doctor seems to make you much more capable to adapt to any situation Poor lonely Amy, with only a robot named after her husband for company.

The Doctor.... owch! Defiantly showing a different side to him. And Rory's line to him when he shut the door in Old Amy's face and told Rory to choose, that stung. Another reminder that the Doctor isn't always the nice guy we like to think he is.

On a lighter topic, Amy and the Macarania

EDIT: Another thing, the cinematography! Fabulous for this episode, and combined with Murry Gold's as always lovely score made it even more powerful.
          Last edited by Draygon; 10 September 2011, 11:30 AM.
          If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
          sigpic

Comment

Watching Karen "driving" on Confidential makes me feel a lot better about not being able to drive.

Definitely enjoyed this episode, looking forward to the inevitable second viewing (which Night Terrors has not yet earned). Quite tragically touching as well as humorous, which is normally confined to Moffatt episodes, so that was nice.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Great episode, much MUCH better than last weeks
              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

This was okay if you are able to ignore the humongous potholes with in the story or perhaps I missed the explanation bit about why the virus would not kill someone in the other time stream with in a day of that time stream. The victims of the plague look completely human so would not the virus infect Rory and Amy as well, and why would medicine kill them. Either I missed the explanations or they did not brother with them.

Then there is the lack of emotional impact this episode could really have had by showing us the victims of the plague and there lives, it would have been even better if Amy had interacted with those victims on some level as well.

An why did Amy choose the most boring zone available.
                We also should have seen more of the 36 Amy life.

For the person that ask how was she able to build the sonic probe, the computer taught her about the technology and could teach her anything she needed to know by asking the right question in the right way, and she choose learning how to build sonic probe over exploring alien mountain ranges and Disney warp roller coaster. An the people who built that seem to have advance knowledge of time manipulation an time streams so it not surprising they knew how to construct a sonic probe.

Overall I enjoyed last week episode more than this week.

The only thing I found remotely interesting this was those weird plants in the garden, which we saw on screen for about 2 seconds, but I would taken Disney Warp roller coaster any day of the week or those beautiful mountains.

Also another thing that brothered me was how they completely ignore Mel when talking about there child hood memories, which I also found unbelievable as someone who lost there daughter would not treasure the moments they spent with her in there childhood and would not constantly be searching there memories for any clues that Mel was there daughter.

An have steven got an obsession with Robots enemies, it seem couple of episodes or so there are robots as enemies, they even admitted in confidential that they are starting to run out of original ideas for robots, that because they use them all. An did we really need to have another medical AI as an enemy this season. Even the idea of Amy living her life with Rory or Rory living his life without Amy has been done numerous times already.

I have to give this episode a 4 out 10. An very repetitive episode and first one that have force me ask the question of whether the current writing team got any original ideas left in them at all.

Off to watch the first episode of the 4th season of Tru Blood, and then I will finish of the appalling 4th season of Torchwood to see if last episode can make up for the other 9 episodes.
                Last edited by knowles2; 10 September 2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

OMG, I'm almost in tears! My son has a lump in his throat too. So beautiful. So painful.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    This was okay if you are able to ignore the humongous potholes with in the story or perhaps I missed the explanation bit about why the virus would not kill someone in the other time stream with in a day of that time stream. The victims of the plague look completely human so would not the virus infect Rory and Amy as well, and why would medicine kill them. Either I missed the explanations or they did not brother with them.

Then there is the lack of emotional impact this episode could really have had by showing us the victims of the plague and there lives, it would have been even better if Amy had interacted with those victims on some level as well.

An why did Amy choose the most boring zone available.
                    We also should have seen more of the 36 Amy life.

For the person that ask how was she able to build the sonic probe, the computer taught her about the technology and could teach her anything she needed to know by asking the right question in the right way, and she choose learning how to build sonic probe over exploring alien mountain ranges and Disney warp roller coaster. An the people who built that seem to have advance knowledge of time manipulation an time streams so it not surprising they knew how to construct a sonic probe.

Overall I enjoyed last week episode more than this week.

The only thing I found remotely interesting this was those weird plants in the garden, which we saw on screen for about 2 seconds, but I would taken Disney Warp roller coaster any day of the week or those beautiful mountains.

Also another thing that brothered me was how they completely ignore Mel when talking about there child hood memories, which I also found unbelievable as someone who lost there daughter would not treasure the moments they spent with her in there childhood and would not constantly be searching there memories for any clues that Mel was there daughter.

An have steven got an obsession with Robots enemies, it seem couple of episodes or so there are robots as enemies, they even admitted in confidential that they are starting to run out of original ideas for robots, that because they use them all. An did we really need to have another medical AI as an enemy this season. Even the idea of Amy living her life with Rory or Rory living his life without Amy has been done numerous times already.

I have to give this episode a 4 out 10. An very repetitive episode and first one that have force me ask the question of whether the current writing team got any original ideas left in them at all.

Off to watch the first episode of the 4th season of Tru Blood, and then I will finish of the appalling 4th season of Torchwood to see if last episode can make up for the other 9 episodes.
                    The reason that Amy and Rory wernt affected is because the disease only affected people with 2 hearts.
                    And the cure the robots wanted to give Amy was deadly to humans.

The reason robots were used was because the inhabitants of the planet had 2 hearts, so would be been suseptable to the disease if they had been working there, so robots are the best choice as they dont get affected by diseases, thats how I see it.
                    I dont think Steven has an obsession with robots... theres only been robots once so far in Part 2, the tesselecta was kinda a robot, but not as much as these handbots were...

Comment

Possibly one of the best episodes of genre tv ive ever seen. This was sublime.
                      Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                      Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddybrown View Post
                        The reason that Amy and Rory wernt affected is because the disease only affected people with 2 hearts.
                        And the cure the robots wanted to give Amy was deadly to humans.

The reason robots were used was because the inhabitants of the planet had 2 hearts, so would be been suseptable to the disease if they had been working there, so robots are the best choice as they dont get affected by diseases, thats how I see it.
                        I dont think Steven has an obsession with robots... theres only been robots once so far in Part 2, the tesselecta was kinda a robot, but not as much as these handbots were...
                        Glad you was just talking about part 2, now how many robots have appear in part 1, and last season.

An I did not question the use of the robots, I just question the amount of robots that have shown up in Doctor Who lately which seems a lot, every other episode in part 2.

Comment

Glad you was just talking about part 2, now how many robots have appear in part 1, and last season.

An I did not question the use of the robots, I just question the amount of robots that have shown up in Doctor Who lately which seems a lot, every other episode in part 2.
                          I dont remember seeing any robots in Part 1?, please correct me if Im wrong.
                          I personally dont think there have been many robots in this series of Doctor Who...

Comment

This was a wonderful episode. Wonderful but totally heartbreaking. I was fighting back the tears until older Amy asked the Interface to see "home" & then the floodgates opened. Great acting from Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill.

Confidential was fun. Arthur swimming with sharks. Frightened of killer whales in the toilet? And then Karen. 35 mph? Go Karen!

Edit - Sorry I'm not remembering many robots either. There was the tesselecta. Can't think of any more in either this or last season.

Comment

On the strength of this episode, I hope we get Tom Macrae writing for Who again. Can't say I considered his previous effort (the Tenth Doctor Cyberman two-parter) to be particularly noteworthy, but then I haven't watched it in a while and it was Series 2 so that may not be a fair point.

Glad you was just talking about part 2, now how many robots have appear in part 1, and last season. An I did not question the use of the robots, I just question the amount of robots that have shown up in Doctor Who lately which seems a lot, every other episode in part 2.
                              Series 5 and 6 featured enemies and characters, robots in bold, spoilered for length, pedantry and anybody who hasn't seen all preceding 11th Doctor episodes. If I've missed any, please point them out:

Spoiler:
                              Eleventh Hour - Atraxi & Prisoner Zero
                              Beast Below - Starwhale, Liz Ten, Winders & Smilers (debatable)
                              Victory of the Daleks - Churchill, Daleks & Professor Edwin Bracewell
                              Time of Angels - Weeping Angels & Clerics
                              Flesh and Stone - Weeping Angels & fewer Clerics
                              Vampires of Venice - Saturnynians (fish vampires) & Venetians
                              Amy's Choice - Dream Lord & Eknodine
                              Hungry Earth - Silurians
                              Cold Blood - Silurians
                              Vincent and the Doctor - Krafayis
                              The Lodger - Craig, Sophie, a cat & the pseudo-TARDIS Hologram
                              The Pandorica Opens - Nestene Duplicates, Daleks, Cyberman, Sontarans etc.
                              The Big Bang - Stone Dalek
                              A Christmas Carol - Sky fish, Kazran Sardick
                              The Impossible Astronaut - The Astronaut, the girl & Silence
                              Day of the Moon - Silence
                              Curse of the Black Spot - Hologram Doctor/Nurse/Siren, pirates
                              The Doctor's Wife - House, Idris, Auntie, Uncle, Nephew
                              The Rebel Flesh - Gangers (not robots)
                              The Almost People - Gangers
                              A Good Man Goes to War - Headless Monks, Clerics, Dorium, Vastra, Strax, Danny Boy, pirates, ganger, River
                              Let's Kill Hitler - Tesselecta, River, Mels, Antibodies
                              Night Terrors - Dolls, Tenza
                              The Girl Who Waited - Hand Bots

I count six instances out of...lots.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X