Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assassin's Creed General Disc/Spoilers /Speculation (Spoilers for all games!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assassin's Creed General Disc/Spoilers /Speculation (Spoilers for all games!)

There is an old thread comparing Assassin's Creed mythos vs Stargate mythos as there are some vague similarities between the two, but rather than necromancing said thread (you can read here if you want) I thought I'd make a topic just for the games themselves.

Assassin's Creed is a series of third person Stealth / Action / Platform game that allows you to traverse any architectural structure using free running based actions and plan an assasination of targets in a variety of ways.

The first game you're introduced to Desmond Miles, the protagonist of the series set in modern or slightly futuristic times. He's been kidnapped by an underhanded technology driven corporation called Abstergo that is secretly run by modern day Templars out for world domination and his relation to an Assassin Society he was raised as a child in who are the enemy of the templars, but he has had no formal training in the Assassin's way himself.

The Templars also want Miles because they've developed a technological device called the Animus that allows the user to trace back his genetic history and re-live the lives of his ancestors. The Templars believe Miles ancestor Altair - a middle eastern assassin of the crusades era (and coincidentally the name of a planet in Stargate lore) holds information on the whereabouts of a powerful device known only as a Piece of Eden.

The Animus not only allows the user to relive memories, but also adopt knowledge and skills through a process / side effect known as 'The Bleeding Effect'. In this way the Animus is similar to being loaded into The Matrix as well as delivering information like the control chair in Stargate.

The mythos gets more interesting as we find the Piece of Eden is a piece of alien technology left by a dying raise that came from another universe and helped the human raise evolve through technology and breeding. Desmond escapes from the Templar labs, and through an Assassin's underground is able to visit another Ancestor via a newly built Animus later in history by the name of Ezio Auditore, the son of a Florentine banker in Renaissance Italy and heir apparent to the Assassin's Brotherhood or are still at war with the Templars head by The Borgia family (real life criminal villains of the time that now has a series with Jeremy Irons starring in it). This is where Desmond through Ezio finds out more about the alien race and the 'Pieces of Eden' left on Earth to be discovered that holds information on almost all of the technological break throughs modern civilization has seen.

Anyway, that's enough of an intro. The last in the current series of the Ezio based storyline is due out in November called Assasin's Creed Revelations where he travels back to the middle east to fully connect his history with that of Altair and the Assassin's Order. So far there has been Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood with a spin off Facebook game called Assassin's Creed Legacy and a PSP game called Assassin's Creed Bloodlines. Books based on the games have also been released aimed at the young adult market.

Anyone else a fan? Anyone else want to discuss?
    >>>Hello, I'm new! Here's my introduction post:<<<

I'm a fan, I think this might have been better off in the Off Topic section, would be nice if gateworld had a gaming section also.
    sigpic

Comment

I dunno, I think General Sci-Fi and Fantasy

Other genre shows, films, literature, etc. covers it quite well

Comment

I agree. General Sci-Fi and Fantasy is a worthy home for this discussion.

I'm a massive fan of the AC series and can't actually wait for Revelations. Watched the trailer the other day and seeing the original Assassin stronghold in Syria made me replay the intro to AC1. I found that room where Ezio is dragged to as well
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Fair enough, General Sci-Fi it is then. I haven't gone back and played AC 1 in a while, after playing the later ones it just doesn't seem as good.
          sigpic

Comment

Couldn't agree more. I struggled to get through the first village again after I got demoted. The opening mission is still fun though, infiltrating Solomon's Temple and escaping and then defending the stronghold. But yeah after the updated elements of AC 2 and Brotherhood, AC1 struggles to match up. If AC2 hadn't come out then I probably would have abandoned the series.

In terms of story in regards to Revelations,
            Spoiler:
            to my knowedge Ezio goes to the stronghold to find an ancient artefact (possibly another Piece of Eden?) but finds it overrun by Templars. He manages to find out that Altair, during his time as Master Assassin after the events of AC1, hid the artefact deep in the stronghold and then went and hid all of the keys to unlock it in the island city of Castinople(sp?) for one of his future descendants to uncover.

I love how no details of Desmond's story have been revealed. Who can blame them after the sudden ending of Brotherhood All we know is that he's in a coma and has to relive the last of Ezio's memories in order to wake up.
            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

The rinse and repeat nature of it made it a struggle for me and not being able to sprint on your horse without guards attacking you, what the hell was that about.

As for the story in Revelations I like the sound of it and I'm looking forward to the setting in Constantinople and seeing how an older Ezio deals with it. Loved the E3 trailer for it.
              sigpic

Comment

The E3 trailer was amazing

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've noticed a lot of videogame trailers are mixing in music quite well in their presentation. This may be because today's professionals were yesterday's fanmade music video makers

Here's the trailer via Machinima

Comment

Any ideas where we will go after Revelations? and what do you think will happen to Ezio in the end, surely not a quite death in his sleep.
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, I do know there's going to be an animated short film released by Ubisoft that ties up everything with Ezio as an old man. I think initial access to it will be with collector's editions of the game, but it'll likely find it's way online pretty soon afterwards (officially or otherwise)

Comment

Originally posted by KJ Gould View Post
                        Well, I do know there's going to be an animated short film released by Ubisoft that ties up everything with Ezio as an old man. I think initial access to it will be with collector's editions of the game, but it'll likely find it's way online pretty soon afterwards (officially or otherwise)
                        Ah ok, I didn't know that, Cheers. May have to pre-order the collectors edition depending how good it is, Skyrim is out around the same time so I don't want to throw money away on collectors editions if it's not worth it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I don't know about Collectors Editions myself. There's usually some free exclusive Downloadable Content as well whether it's missions, skins or item upgrades (which again become available for purchase pretty soon afterwards). I'm wanting to get Arkham City the month before too!

Comment

Originally posted by KJ Gould View Post
                            Yeah I don't know about Collectors Editions myself. There's usually some free exclusive Downloadable Content as well whether it's missions, skins or item upgrades (which again become available for purchase pretty soon afterwards). I'm wanting to get Arkham City the month before too!
                            There are so many games out at the back end of the year, going to be an expensive time for me. Arkham City, Battlefield, Skyrim, Forza and Assassins Creed. Plus a few other I would like to pick up.
                            sigpic

Comment

As good as Revelations looks, I can't help but think its just Ubisoft out for more moolah. Originally, they never planned to release an AC game in 2011, they were going to hold off till 2012 to release AC3,
                              Spoiler:
                              to tie the story in with the whole end of the world thing
                              . But I think because of the success of Brotherhood they decided to get another game out of Ezio. Might get Revelations when its cheaper, but I'm really looking forward AC3, I'm pretty sure its just going to be Desmond in modern times.
                              sigpic
                              What a show !

Comment

Working...
                              X