Did Smallville ripoff Roswell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Smallville ripoff Roswell?

Did Smallville ripoff Roswell? I don't mean the concept, but rather it's execution. I remember back in 2001 when Roswell moved to UPN and Smallville premiered on the WB. The similarities to Smallville and Roswell was downright spooky. Over time, Smallville grew into it's own show. That said, what do you think? I'm guessing Smallville was a second attempt at a Roswell kind of show. Instead of the Roswell aliens, Superman! Obviously, a larger audience by default.

um no...

one is about 3 (4) kids that are engineered hybrids growing up trying to figure out who they are, but mostly them dealing with the present alien hunters.

smallville is about clark growing up and saving people, as well as some hs stuff.

both do with growing up, hs and being an alien but thats where the similarities stop.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
      um no...

one is about 3 (4) kids that are engineered hybrids growing up trying to figure out who they are, but mostly them dealing with the present alien hunters.

smallville is about clark growing up and saving people, as well as some hs stuff.

both do with growing up, hs and being an alien but thats where the similarities stop.
      That's the concept at it's basic level. There is really more to it than that and both shares were very similar.

Aliens on Earth, with powers, raised by humans from an early age, exploring human relationships (Max/Liz, Clark/Lana), their powers constantly growing and evolving. trying to learn the truth about who they are, where they are from and why they are on Earth, trying not to draw attention to themselves by some greater power (Roswell had the Feds, Smallville had the Luthors) with forces from their own world showing up and make trouble for them while others were supposed to protect them.

I wouldn't say Smallville ripped off Roswell. The problem with Superman is he's nearly 75 years old so with all the restarts, revamps, reboots, golden age, silver age, retcons, alternate universe stories, main universe stuff retconned into alternate unvierse,, one off stories, mini series, his own stories, team ups, crossovers and that's just Superman, imagine that but with Superboy too.

So it's hard to say just how much Smallville could have taken from another show, when it's got much stuff in the comics to base on.

sigpic

Comment

While you can draw some similarities, that can be done with so many shows.

If you want to say anything though, Superman dates back 75 years so Roswell ripped off Superman (Smallville is an expansion of his back story).
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying that Smallville ripped off Roswell conceptually, but rather in execution. I have already said this in the opening of my first post. If you haven't seen both shows, then it sounds like I'm grasping at straws. I watched all of Roswell and the early seasons of Smallville. The similarities were so close, I stopped watching Smallville, because I'd already seen it on Roswell. By the time the show got away from high school angst in favor of developing Clark into Superman, I'd lost interest.

By the way, at least on Roswell, when someone learned of the alien secret, they didn't get amnesia or killed off.

Comment

Interesting theory. Having watched both shows, I can honestly say that I never saw the similarities until pointed out in this thread.

However, if you wanna talk rip-offs of Roswell, I always thought Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was quite similar: ordinary high school girl gets saved by mysterious, super-strong hottie, enter his equally mysterious and hot family who doesn't trust ordinary girl at first, super-hottie tries his best to stay away from girl for her own protection but can't seem to help himself, super hottie's attention gets girl into all sorts of dangerous situations all the time...
            sigpic

I had not intended to love him; the reader knows I had wrought hard to extirpate from my soul the germs of love there detected; and now, at first renewed view of him, they spontaneously revived, green and strong! He made me love him without looking at me. - Jane Eyre

Comment

As I've said in similar threads..its ALL been done before. You can find similarities in quite a few stories.
              sigpic

Comment

I once had a girlfriend who liked Smallville but claimed that she did not know that it was about Superman before I told her. She was either a liar or very, very dumb.
                sigpic
                Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thDoctor View Post
                  I once had a girlfriend who liked Smallville but claimed that she did not know that it was about Superman before I told her. She was either a liar or very, very dumb.
                  I'd go with the very, very dumb myself.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll buy that.
                    sigpic
                    Although bow ties are cool, the scarf is cooler!

Comment

Working...
                    X