Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Second Lieutenant

Default Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

Just saw this on Airlock Alpha. Here's the link. http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/866...-for-real.html. I gotta say...I'm flabergasted. What network cancels their MOST TALKED ABOUT shows and doesn't give a reason? I can understand Caprica. I can even to an extent understand Stargate Universe (but not allowing a proper ending to one of its longest-running franchises I can't understand). I can't understand this. The ratings were nowhere near what SGU or Caprica was getting and...I don't know. This confirms that SyFy just does not know what it is doing...
    That is just my two cents.

McKay's backpack, next to the chocolate and power bars

Default Re: Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

I found out about it from tweets from Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day.

Felicia tweeted:
    Um...wow. So I guess @SyFy changed their minds and is UNpicking up Eureka..uh? http://t.co/2QAN8pO huh. Now it's awkward
    and this:
    At any rate, it's been very fun to be on the show! Hope they can end the story with closure for the fans before the series ends. #Eureka
    Felicia's link goes to an article at Entertainment Weekly.
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/08/eureka-cancelled/

Wil tweeted:
    It's been one of the greatest joys of my life to work on #Eureka. I've made new friends for life, and I'm so proud of the stories we've told
    and this:
    Thank you, @bergopolis, for bringing me in, @jaimepaglia for bringing me back, and the #Eureka cast and crew for making me feel like family.

My kind of guy:
    "Hewlett states that he is a self proclaimed computer nerd who loves small dark rooms and large computers."
    Member of MAGIC: McKay's A Genius Intergalactic Club and ADB: Adores David's Blog
    (subsidiaries of DHD: David Hewlett's Domain).

Deadline has SyFy's official statement

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/its-...r/#more-155222

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

San Francisco, home of Starfleet & World Champions

Oh wonderful, now we might get another paranormal (wishes it was reality) show. Or maybe another group of idiots chasing down shadows and figments of there imaginations. Hell I would rather watch phony wrestling than another one of those are you kidding paranormal shows.

Fact is Eureka should have been shelved 2 seasons ago (and thankfully it wasn't W-13) - That being said, it was much better after they dumped the daughter and sister.

To get this straight, we still get a 5th Season, but after that its over?

I just have a big Questionmark over my head. I thought that they have Eureka split into 2 parts a Season because they cant shoot the Episodes so fast. Now Eureka is cancelled, but they are so far into production of Season 5 that they may just as well finish it?
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

The Deadline article I linked to above says they have 2 weeks left of shooting for Season 5 which is 13 episodes. At this point, the plans are still to air it, but things can always change between now and next summer.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Because of the way Eureka is aired it is essentially aired one full year after it is filmed. Heck, season five was ordered last year just after the first half of season 4 had aired.

The current season 4.5 was completed last summer, the team was hopeful that it would air by this past spring, which didn't happen.

The entirety of Season five will wrap production in two weeks time, and the entire team seems to have been taken off guard by the cancellation.

Obviously now that the 6 episode season six has been axed, unless a miracle happens there will be no proper ending to the series.
    R.I.P. Don S. Davis "Hammond of Texas" 1942-2008

I bet they'll stretch those final 13 episodes out for as long as possible. Perhaps a five month gap after episode 6. I can't say I am surprised. Only Syfy would think slapping in a 10 month gap in the middle of a show is a good idea, and then seem surprised when ratings don't meet expectations when it returns.

Obviously now that the 6 episode season six has been axed, unless a miracle happens there will be no proper ending to the series.
    Well they knew season five would have 13 episodes, so I'd bet my money on them aiming for a cliffhanger. Best guess is they'd change it to be resolved at the end or write something new.

SyFy (Sci Fi) has been accused of this (non-support of flagship programs) before. Ironically enough, EUReKA was blamed. It's pretty obvious no one at the network really has a clue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3BB8yu9-zo

That network is run by a bunch of morons.

I'm not sad to see the show end as IMO it's been going downhill for a while, however the way in which syfy have handled this is so very amateur and I hope for the sake of the people who really like the show that Season 5 can wrap up the show and not end on a cliffhanger.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

They were originally renewed for s5 and part of s6, i wonder if there was some disagreement between the show creators and skiffy and they just ended it if the debate couldn't reach a compromise

Chief Master Sergeant FrodoFraggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IcarusAbides View Post
    I'm not sad to see the show end as IMO it's been going downhill for a while, however the way in which syfy have handled this is so very amateur and I hope for the sake of the people who really like the show that Season 5 can wrap up the show and not end on a cliffhanger.

SyFy has never shown an interest in providing closure to their shows and so this is no surprise.

I don't remember seeing any other network promise a season or partial season of a show and then take it back. SyFy has done it twice, first with Farscape and now with Eureka. Farscape was concluded because the studio found the funding to do so and SyFy bid to air it after it was filmed. Hopefully the production company of Eureka can do the same.
    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    They were originally renewed for s5 and part of s6, i wonder if there was some disagreement between the show creators and skiffy and they just ended it if the debate couldn't reach a compromise
    Something certainly happened, for them to order more eps then change their mind, something happened. Gotta say I am shocked that one of the more successful series is being canceled. I always saw Eureka ending by the producers hands.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

Captain

Given that SyFy reverses its decisions, we can only hope it'll reverse it again. I wouldn't be surprised if S05 ended in a cliff hanger, and the audience deserves closure.

You can't expect to keep viewers if you keep screwing them over. Do they forget that it's the viewers that determines whether or not advertises will buy advertising slots?

What I find surprising is that the ratings have been fairly constant over the last couple of seasons, yet they decide to cancel it now? Seems like bad faith to me.

I always say Eureka ending by a catastrophic explosion destroying the whole town while everyone successfully evacuated.

Air Force Chief of Staff Everlovin's Avatar
    Dancing, singing, praising, and thanking!

Like I said, it's getting so there's nothing on SyFy I want to watch.

That being said, with all the seasons (counting partial seasons separately) it will have run for 7 years. A great run!

I'll miss it terribly.

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    I always say Eureka ending by a catastrophic explosion destroying the whole town while everyone successfully evacuated.
    I'd like to see Eureka end by a project going out of control and destroying a satellite in space with the SyFy logo, and the screen goes blank as to suggest the signal has been interrupted.

Or do that, but end the show with 5 minutes of annoying static so people change channel.

SyFy could not have handled this any worse.

@jaimepaglia
    Did final playback for the #Eureka S4.5 finale & turned in the script for S5 finale. You won't believe what's in store. Thanks to our team!
    6 Aug
    @jaimepaglia
    [email protected]: So for #Eureka, Season 4.5 is airing now & we've already announced Season 5 & 6 plus a holiday episode. Hope that clarifies things!
    6 Aug
    @jaimepaglia
    Heartfelt thanks to all our #Eureka fans for the incredible support. You're the reason we do what we do. It has been a privilege. We hope to be able to give you, the characters, and #Eureka a proper send-off. We're doing all we can to make that happen. But whatever happens, you have a season and a half of fantastic new #Eureka episodes to come through next year. It only gets better. All my thanks to our amazing cast, crew and creative team for their phenomenal work on these 76 episodes of #Eureka. You're the best.
    2 hours ago
    R.I.P. Don S. Davis "Hammond of Texas" 1942-2008

Air Force Chief of Staff Everlovin's Avatar
    Dancing, singing, praising, and thanking!

SyFy has a history of handling things badly.

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Go SyFy !!!
    QIcjG.jpg
    Last edited by Zaany; August 9th, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
    RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008