Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality shows are not unscripted TV. More like script lite TV.

For example, the Father on American Chopper was told to sue his sons for teh drama!

Comment

pawn stars is like Antiques Roadshow on steroids.

what people don't 'get' is that a lot of the 'reality' shows, what you see isn't a documentary of a sort (this is what happened the 5 months we were there) but stuff is tweaked and rigged and manipulated. Anyone think survivor or Big Brother is just what randomly happens???? They deliberately cast to make sure there's conflict. The games that are played are made to tweak people and get them upset or ticked off.

There are others that are more a docudrama. like Deadliest Catch or Swords or some of the other shows....where most of what you see is what happened during the months they were there.

FOR ME, stuff like America's Got Talent....it plays into that whole 'i'm gonna be famous' dream that so many have....so they watch the show to dream about that. to 'cheer' for the little guy. and when you have stinkers that everyone talks about the next day....those people are SOOOOO cast just to give you something to talk about. You tihnk the person that cast Susan Boyle - who does the screening auditions before the person is put on the stage - didn't know EXACTLY what would happen??? They did it just for the interest factor.

Viewers often think all of these shows are just what 'happens' to happen....they're not. I remember a bit of a tiff between CBS and NBC, when the Sydney olympics were happening at the same time they were taping survivor australia....NBC sent out a chopper and found the 'set' for survivor......complete with 2 helicopters, 100 trailers and 3 satellite dishes. It was a full fledged town in the middle of the outback. So yeah, those people may be out there 'alone'....but they're surrounded by support staff.

Do you think it's pure coincidence that they always choose hot/warm climates? The easier it is for the 'survivors' to run around half naked the better it is to have that titillation factor.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

So to be completely off topic, but completely curious: where might Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern - billed as a travel show; and Mythbusters fit in? My feel for these are more along the lines of documentary sort of thing. Humorous, but not scripted and not reality tv.
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

@Everlovin I'm of the same opinion as you. I love Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs. Deadliest Catch is the only "reality" show I watch and that's because its an amazing, intense show that has everything a good show needs!
          That is just my two cents.

Comment

I don't consider those shows reality shows. To me, a reality show is a popularity competition show, like Top Shots on the History Channel. It's not about the skills, it's not about finding things out, it's about who's the most popular. If it's a competition that has a vote, or it's more about the conflict between the people (cast), then it's a reality show.

I consider shows like Dirty Jobs a kind of Documentary because it is about showing how the job is done far more than the conflict between the people. American Chopper, for example, is not about showing people how the bikes are built but about the idiotic fighting between the sons and the father. If it was about how the bikes are built then I'd consider it more of a documentary than a reality show.

To repeat, reality shows are about the conflict and the popularity between the people, not about showing how something is done or how it works.

I don't know how to classify Mythbusters though.

Comment

I almost classify mythbusters as educational. You walk away from the show learning something. You kinda do the same with Deadliest Catch although more emphasis on the danger of their surroundings than the job anymore.

I kinda see border wars, alaska rangers, animal cops etc as almost a docudrama. What happens is what happens...but they do sometimes present things to its fullest dramatic potential (will the dog survive?????? etc)

sigpic

Comment

aaaannnnnddd, you know....we are getting horribly off topic

is the topic of Eureka done?

If not we need to get back to it and we can more the reality show debate to its own thread in OT

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  aaaannnnnddd, you know....we are getting horribly off topic
                  is the topic of Eureka done?

If not we need to get back to it and we can more the reality show debate to its own thread in OT
                  Can we have an explosion first??
                  I need a big explosion today

sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I was so upset when I found out that Eureka has been cancelled and the next season would be its last

Comment

*sigh* and so it begins .... the end that is *sigh* .... so sad!!

the cast was awesome at Dragon Con ... fun, funny, very fun - ny!!

teehee!!
                      sigpic
                      SCORE!!
                      The Babe's Fave Song Tourney ~ Super Sonic Sixties 66/67 ~ Clickie!!

Comment

Working...
                      X