Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

so basically they were told they got 6 episodes, then they were taken back

my PERSONAL interpretation.....eureka powers that be likely weren't too enthused about only 6 episodes and there was possibly some negotiations/debates, etc.

and it may have resulted in something along the line of 'only 6 episodes is garbage we can't do it in 6' and skiffy said 'fine, then dont' do it at all'....but then a compromise of 'ok, give us one more for this season' coupled with fan reactions and PR issues was reached.

That could be.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    so basically they were told they got 6 episodes, then they were taken back

my PERSONAL interpretation.....eureka powers that be likely weren't too enthused about only 6 episodes and there was possibly some negotiations/debates, etc.

and it may have resulted in something along the line of 'only 6 episodes is garbage we can't do it in 6' and skiffy said 'fine, then dont' do it at all'....but then a compromise of 'ok, give us one more for this season' coupled with fan reactions and PR issues was reached.
    Someone in Accounting screwed up, lol.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

How about they give them the budget for the six episodes and they make one feature length epic episode with the cash.

As usual, my own interpretation of events matches right up with sky's.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

If this has been posted before, forgive me... But, I just saw a quote from Amy Berg, (Eureka producer) where she said that SyFy loves everything about Eureka except how much it costs to make it. She said that, (as we all surmised) the decision to cancel was purely dollars and cents. I just don't understand how they can take one of their most popular shows and make a kill decision before the 5th season has yet to air an episode. Unless they have a pretty good crystal ball, they have no idea how S5 is going to preform against the competition. But, they do know that for another $50 bucks or so they can produce a few more Ghosthunters eps, I guess that's how the new management's going to run it from here on out....

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

thing is, and i don't defend skiffy, but as shows go on and on and on, the cost raises - cast and crew get raises everytime their contract is negotiated usually, and the ratings fall....most shows, over time, shed viewers.

There are a few shows that are exemptions to this 'rule', NCIS for one, whose rating base seems to grow every year, but most of them lose.

Aww

Ah well, it had a GOOD run. And at lest we actually GET A FINAL EPISODE! Which is more then SGA & SGU ever got.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    thing is, and i don't defend skiffy, but as shows go on and on and on, the cost raises - cast and crew get raises everytime their contract is negotiated usually, and the ratings fall....most shows, over time, shed viewers.
    Not only that, but the median age of the show grows older and more viewers are outside what is considered the ideal ad targets of 18-40 or 25-54. Eureka's median age is already 51. It'll probably be 53 in two years.

Smaller ratings with older viewers bring less revenue.

Second Lieutenant

I wonder if there's a chance of another network seeing the success of the show and picking it up? I mean, its not like it didn't get ratings, the ratings are there...thing is, with it being primarily a SyFY show and not like Stargate (owned by MGM) I have a feeling SyFy wouldn't let that happen unless it was NBC that picked it up, and over on NBC they have the same issues SyFy does (Chuck, Heroes).
    That is just my two cents.

I loath this network and always will. I am boycotting them and refuse to watch anymore shows. Every time I invest in a show, they cancel it. They can take their excuse for ratings and shove them. They are just too cheap.

They never go past season 5 of ANY show. SG1 was on showtime for 5 years, SG1, lasted 5 years, total 10, that was a wonder, SGA, 5 years, although, Caprica got cut down in it's prime as did SGU. Its a wonder they let Eureka last as long as it did, with it's long year season breaks and only 13 episodes?

I suspect, by this time next year if not sooner, it will be Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary will be canceled so I'm calling it now, who wants to take bets?

Every time they split a season, you can guarantee it will get canceled the following year. I thank god they didnt do split seasons with SG1, that would have killed it.

Instead of having season 5 like we should right now, they are only showing us the tail end of season 4 and to see season 5 we have to wait another long year? 2 years to wait for a new season is too damn long for my liking. I have the DVDs to keep me company. I wont be buying s5 though nope. Syfy wont get another dime of my money.

No thank you. I am done waiting. Goodbye Syfy, nice knowing you.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH RATINGS. ALL TO DO with being CHEAP as dirt!
    Last edited by DSG1; August 17th, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
    I wonder if there's a chance of another network seeing the success of the show and picking it up? I mean, its not like it didn't get ratings, the ratings are there...thing is, with it being primarily a SyFY show and not like Stargate (owned by MGM) I have a feeling SyFy wouldn't let that happen unless it was NBC that picked it up, and over on NBC they have the same issues SyFy does (Chuck, Heroes).
    What are you talking about?

It's ratings aren't that high compared to shows on other networks.

Check this out:

http://geekfurious.blogspot.com/2011...gust-2011.html

A bigger network demands even higher ratings. Smaller networks would have the same profitability issues Syfy had. The show costs more than the revenue it would bring in.

The direction of this network since they switched from SciFi to SyFy(lis) is getting worse, I guess the initial infection is spreading from the disease. This really sucks because the US really needs a network that supports scripted original science-fiction and I feel like we're losing that.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    The direction of this network since they switched from SciFi to SyFy(lis) is getting worse, I guess the initial infection is spreading from the disease. This really sucks because the US really needs a network that supports scripted original science-fiction and I feel like we're losing that.
    The problem is that scripted original science-fiction costs a lot to produce and the ratings aren't high enough to earn enough revenue to support it. People who work on these shows and produce them need to be paid. It's not a charitable activity.

The C3 ratings would be higher if scifi fans didn't DVR so much. In a way, the fans themselves contribute to the lack of viability of these shows. If they'd watch more of the commercials, the shows would earn more money.

As a result, the network has no choice but to seek out cheaper programming. Not only are reality shows cheaper to produce, their viewers watch live.

First Lieutenant Galileo_Galilee's Avatar

Sanctuary is being shown on Chiller now.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaSavant View Post
    The problem is that scripted original science-fiction costs a lot to produce and the ratings aren't high enough to earn enough revenue to support it. People who work on these shows and produce them need to be paid. It's not a charitable activity.

The C3 ratings would be higher if scifi fans didn't DVR so much. In a way, the fans themselves contribute to the lack of viability of these shows. If they'd watch more of the commercials, the shows would earn more money.
    As a result, the network has no choice but to seek out cheaper programming. Not only are reality shows cheaper to produce, their viewers watch live.
    I've said that before MS, no one wanted to listen.
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Quote Originally Posted by MediaSavant View Post

Isnt the whole System based on those Nelson Ratings or whatever they are called? So basically a small Group of People is used to decide all of this. If we watch live or not is not at all important since our views are not counted anyways. The same goes for the usage of DVR, even if they could check who watches what channel for how long, the DVR would still count as a viewer since it still has to tune in to the certain channel.
    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
    There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Colonel

Sam Re: Eureka canceled. Season 5 next year, beyond that, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    And Sanctuary will be in it's 5th season too in 2013. SyFy can kill two shows in one year. Yippee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela V View Post
    But how much is Space in control? Wasn't it SyFy that wanted a longer 3rd season? I'm a bit confused with how much Sanctuary relies on SyFy to stay on air. If they aren't then that's great! And I do hope that's true because now that Bell Media owns the Space channel, they have money. It's why Space is now in HD (it's about time! Though only for Bell Satellite users at the moment like me).
    Quote Originally Posted by DSG1 View Post
    They never go past season 5 of ANY show. SG1 was on showtime for 5 years, SG1, lasted 5 years, total 10, that was a wonder, SGA, 5 years, although, Caprica got cut down in it's prime as did SGU. Its a wonder they let Eureka last as long as it did, with it's long year season breaks and only 13 episodes?

I suspect, by this time next year if not sooner, it will be Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary will be canceled so I'm calling it now, who wants to take bets?

Every time they split a season, you can guarantee it will get canceled the following year. I thank god they didnt do split seasons with SG1, that would have killed it.
    Every day I hope Sanctuary will be moved back to Fri, most fans are still tweeting to Syfy to move the show back. That should tell Syfy that fans don't want it to stay on Mon, and Syfy has replied to them, like, 4 times now. This is from today- http://bit.ly/qWYpaU

Most say the main thing Sanctuary has going for it is that it doesn't cost as much as Eureka, W13 or Alphas, so I hope that keeps working for them, and that they go home in S4 because I can't and don't want to take a full season of bad ratings.

Btw, is Sanctuary showed in HD on Syfy? It is on Space.

Quote Originally Posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
    Sanctuary is being shown on Chiller now.
    How good is that for the show? Also, this is a good article for it.

http://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/31046
    Last edited by Rocky89; August 18th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    I agree. I think the name change was the first clear sign that the channel's PTB were no longer interested in becoming the, or possibly even being a, channel with primarily science fiction/fantasy programming. Instituting a name that distances itself from its core audience was not a good sign.

At this point I think getting involved in one of the channel's original scripted series is a bad bet. If respectable ratings, and fan support, are not enough to at least allow a series to have an end that is announced well in advance, and fully addressed in the final season, then I cannot think of any good reason to bother with watching the channel. Eureka isn't the first time Cee-Fee disrespected, and disregarded, fans. I doubt that it is the last time, because Cee-Fee's PTB do not display much understanding of, nor respect for, science fiction/fantasy fan loyalty. It is the last time for me, though. I still love science fiction, and fantasy. I'm just tired of Skiffy.

Cee-Fee may as well go back to its roots, when all it did was re-run old science fiction/fantasy shows.

Eureka, you will be missed.
    My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!