Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a username change! Thoughts and opinions please?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a username change! Thoughts and opinions please?

Right guys,

Originally, many many years ago when I first joined and was a teenage Air Cadet, the user name 'Flying Officer Bennett'seemed like a good one, as it was unique and distinctly British... Problem is, since then, I've both spent several years in the reserve forces as well as commisioning as an officer into the full time professional Royal Air Force.

Bottom line is, these days, at least until I end up promoted to Flight Lieutenant, I use the rank and name 'Flying Officer Bennett' every day at work. Surely the point of a username is for it to NOT be your real world name...

So what do people think? I want to keep the same basic identity, so was thinking along the lines of FOB or Fobby, both of which have been nicknames applied to me on this board... I'd really appreciate people's thoughts, and, if anyone has any other ideas on variations on the name, please put them forward.

Cheers!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Sounds like a reason they would be willing to change it.

Comment

I don't know, Nola is my real name and I've been called "Nola-mom" or "Nmom" by my daughter for over 20 years. Nothing wrong with being known as yourself. Alter-egos are all well and good, but personally, I'm a proponent of just being yourself.
      sigpic

Comment

I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Yeah just keep it.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Is it coming up linked to your RL? Is there stuff you don't want RL people to see?
            sigpic

Comment

How bout "Superstar Batman McJesus"

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                Is it coming up linked to your RL? Is there stuff you don't want RL people to see?
                No... except if I was to register a fresh today, I'd never use my RL rank...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Even if you changed/updated your username, those who've been around a while would still recognise you as Flying Officer Bennett and as such, call you by the names like FOB, Fobby, Bennett, so changing your name would really serve no purpose to anyone but you.

The point of a username is to just pick something you want to be called, it doesn't have to be a unique name. If it were me, I'd stick to Flight Officer Bennett, and whenever promoted, change it to Flt Lt. Bennett. I wouldn't go from 'Flight Officer Bennett' to 'F.O. Bennett' (my suggestion if you do change) only to have to request an additional change some point in the future.

So stick to what you are, then change it to Flt Lt. Bennett when you get promoted.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                    No... except if I was to register a fresh today, I'd never use my RL rank...
                    *welcomes F.O.B to the Hamenthotep family* There's a room all set up for you in the Pyramid... just watch out for Ukko...

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                      Even if you changed/updated your username, those who've been around a while would still recognise you as Flying Officer Bennett and as such, call you by the names like FOB, Fobby, Bennett, so changing your name would really serve no purpose to anyone but you.

The point of a username is to just pick something you want to be called, it doesn't have to be a unique name. If it were me, I'd stick to Flight Officer Bennett, and whenever promoted, change it to Flt Lt. Bennett. I wouldn't go from 'Flight Officer Bennett' to 'F.O. Bennett' (my suggestion if you do change) only to have to request an additional change some point in the future.

So stick to what you are, then change it to Flt Lt. Bennett when you get promoted.
                      Lol, the promotion aspect means nothing to me, I wouldn't want to change my username as promotion occured. I was just considering a more neutral name like Fobby, which I quite like as a nickname on here anyway.

Seems like most people are in favour of keeping the name anyway. I was just kinda hoping to get a gauage of what people thought would be a good alternative. I'm not married to the idea of changing it, but it was something I was considering. Cheers for the feedback anyway guys.

Hamenthotep... lol. All I can say is lol.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post

Hamenthotep... lol. All I can say is lol.
                        But I like it....

Now I need to change my name...

Comment

They will only change your name once. I wasn't originally General Jumper One.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                            They will only change your name once. I wasn't originally General Jumper One.
                            They didn't let me change mine at all.
                            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                              They didn't let me change mine at all.
                              I had a good reason

Comment

Working...
                              X