This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a Lawyer's opinion

i, myself, am not in trouble, but i've been asked to participate in a class action lawsuit, and i'd like to not participate. my two selections (to not participate) are 'exclude myself from the settlement', and 'do nothing'. it's the wording in this ridiculously lawyer speak paper that i'm having probs with.

so here's what i'm asking:

1- what are these two selections really saying to me?

2- what's the best choice for me?
    sally

sigpic

Throw out the form, problem solved.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Ask a lawyer not GW .

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post

join in get some money
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          join in get some money
          it's too much work, and i just don't feel the $ i 'might' get to be worth that work.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i, myself, am not in trouble, but i've been asked to participate in a class action lawsuit, and i'd like to not participate. my two selections (to not participate) are 'exclude myself from the settlement', and 'do nothing'. it's the wording in this ridiculously lawyer speak paper that i'm having probs with.

so here's what i'm asking:

1- what are these two selections really saying to me?

I am not a lawyer.

That being said, I hold doctor of law degrees from various internet sites. (THIS IS A JOKE. DO NOT KID YOURSELF. )

Exclusion from the settlement versus doing nothing are different. Exclusion means that you will not get anything. However, doing nothing seems though, if you are being represented as a collective (employees filing a law suit), you could still get something. I have utterly no idea, though.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

I've gotten these things before - notices of class action suits that I can be part of - and I, too, have never quite known what to do. However, I realized that the real money goes to the lawyers, not the the thousands of people who join in the suit. The more people that join the suit, the more leverage the lawyers have to get money for themselves. One of the suits was against a cruise line (because of a cruise I'd taken) and the settlement was a $100 voucher good on another cruise. Yeah right. That does me a lot of good. I'll bet the attorneys made a killing off of that one.
              sigpic

Comment

Unless you need to file some papers to prove you belong in the lawsuit, do nothing usually means you are included (I'm not a lawyer, this is just my experience).

I've been a part of 4 class action lawsuits. 3 do nothings - 1 I needed to send in forms to be include - which I didn't. 1 nothing happened, 2 were minor awards - Netlfix was $5 off (don't remember the exact amount but was less than 1 month's cost), the other was a $1000 life insurance payout if I died in the following year - which obviously I didn't.

The lawsuit I needed to file papers for was for tetracylene (sp?) staining of the teeth. Back in the 60's or early 70's it was a popular antibiotic and in some people it yellowed their teeth. But to be included you had to show proof you were given the antibiotic. I called my mom for grins to see if she had kept any records but she couldn't find anything and while I and my dentist knew that's what happened, my pediatrician had died about 10 yrs before and the office long closed. I always wondered how many people this actually included as who keeps records of taking an antibiotic 30 yrs previous that caused you no other problems.
                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

yeah class action lawsuits can be hit or miss...sometimes the reward isn't half bad and other times it's a pittance...my mom was part of a class-action lawsuit against a call center she used to work I think it was for unpaid vacation time or something like that and she actuall got over $1000 as part of the settlement

Comment

thanks for the advice

i think i'll 'do nothing'. i'm good at that
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Call the people who gave you the form and ask them?
                      My Stargate fan fiction @ FF.net | NEW: When Cassie Calls Teal'c.

Comment

Working...
                      X