This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for NYC

I'm going to NYC in early December. I was wondering if any GWs from there had any advice on where to go, what places to eat, etc.? I'm planning to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, already, and I will be seeing a Broadway show, but other than that, I'm completely at a loss. Advice is surely welcome.
    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Cool I will going to Connecticut in September and will visit NYC as well. I have been a few times before and can recommend the obvious like the Empire State Building and the Rockefeller tower.

I have also never been to Ground Zero but have intended to last two times I went, it will be all the more poignant as I will be in US on the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Comment

I found the audio tour (they give you a headset) of Ellis Island to be a really moving and powerful experience.
      sigpic

Comment

what about Chinatown and Little Italy?

maybe you check here
        Grimm returns October 24
        sigpic

Signature and Avatar by Hyndara71 - Thank you very much
        Profile Picture by BM-Shipper

Comment

I grew up there, so I think in terms of clubs, and etc: Greenwich Village is a great area, home to New York University, with Washington Square Park. There are great cafes, like Reggios. There is also the Circle Line trip around Manhattan which is docked at the west end of 42nd Street. The Museum of Natural History which also includes the Planetarium, and the Metropolitan Museum are magnificent. As for places for dinner, it would depend on your taste in food. Enjoy your trip!
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks! These are great ideas. *notes all of them*
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

• Central Park is nice, but don't go there at night
              • Get a weekly subway metropass, you'll save SO much money getting around the city
              • Liberty Island is nice, but there isn't much to do
              • if you go up the Empire State Building, do it at night (after it gets dark)--the view is spectacular
              • Mamma Mia is a fantastic Broadway show
              • Hell's Kitchen isn't as bad as it sounds
              • there's usually a lot of neat little vendors down in Battery Park, but there isn't much else to do in the area (it's the financial district)
              • if you do a Circle Line boat tour, only do the southern half. The northern half is staggeringly boring
              • if you find yourself relying on street bagel vendors for breakfast, be warned that they all take Sunday off
              • the Natural History Museum is great, the MOMA slightly less so, and the Gugenheim about the same. But still check out all three
              • if you decide to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, know that there's a subway station nearby to the Brooklyn end. So if you want to walk across but have nothing to do in Brooklyn, it's quick and easy to get back to Manhattan
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I can't afford to go see another Broadway musical. I'm seeing Book of Mormon. But, yeah, good tips.

sigpic

Comment

It's a terrific holiday spot, I've been twice and I'd go again in a heartbeat. I'm sure you'll have a great time

And....yeah, I can't emphasise the subway Metropass enough. I went in '03 and spent a ton of both time and money on cabs and walking around. I went again in '05 and was astonished at how much of both I saved by using the subway all the time. I know you'll want to walk around and see the sights, but if you're going a bit of a distance you'll definitely want to take the subway. Walking from the south end up to midtown is a long walk!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                    I'm going to NYC in early December. I was wondering if any GWs from there had any advice on where to go, what places to eat, etc.? I'm planning to go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, already, and I will be seeing a Broadway show, but other than that, I'm completely at a loss. Advice is surely welcome.
                    Cool, come on down! In addition to the places mentioned already:
                    [List]

[*]If you go to Ground Zero, slide over to The World Financial Center nearby. It's a wonderful oasis with towering Palm trees (real ones), a beautiful glass atrium with seating, and exhibits and events, too. There's a great waterfront area to watch boats go up and down the Hudson, with a view of New Jersey and the Statue of Liberty. If it sounds like I like the place, that's because I love it! Favorite place to unwind (and keep that in mind when you visit Ground Zero; it'll be emotional I guarantee).

[*]Visit the High Line also on the west side. That's NYC's claim to restoration fame with the successful renovation of an old, elevated rail line into a new public park. It offers a sweeping view of the city as well as the Hudson. The original rails were kept and the wildflowers that had grown in its dormant years were allowed to grow; there may be some winter varieties, too. New noshing vendors open up all the time and various events are scheduled. Located in the Chelsea area's Meatpacking District, which was formerly populated with, well, meat markets. Lovely place to window shop, too. (Uh, dress for windy conditions on the High Line that time of year.) (www.thehighline.org)

Chelsea also has lots of art galleries and outdoor eating spots. Additionally, there's Chelsea Piers with a plethora of activities (ice skating, indoor sports) to check out.

[*]Want to get off your feet and watch a Stargate episode? Check out the Paley Center for Media near Rockefeller Center. It used to be called the Museum of Television and Radio and is devoted to the history of those two media. While they don't carry full seasons of shows, they will house significant episodes, esp. if they were nominated for Emmys or such. There's a fee but it's worth it; and again it's a really friendly place to relax. (www.paleycenter.org) Correction: Paley doesn't have Stargate yet; they have MacGyver, Sanctuary, BSG, etc. Soon, I hope! Still worth a visit, though. - TE1

[*]I like the Chinatown - Little Italy suggestion. There's also the Hayden Planetarium, it's not far from the Met.

[*]As for eating, the variety in NYC (probably like London!) is staggering. Tony DiNapoli Italian), Outback (Australian diner), IHOP (diner, featuring pancakes 24/7), Stage Deli. And if you get homesick for home dining - Moran's, The Plaza Hotel for high tea ($$$!) or A Salt and Battery; none of which I've dined at but seemed to get good reviews.

If you're staying at a hotel be sure to ask the concierge about these or other spots; they often have discounts.

Well, those are my fave spots. Hope they help.
                    Last edited by Traveler Enroute1; 06 August 2011, 08:49 AM. Reason: Correction
                    MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
                    sigpic
                    Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

Strip club

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                        Strip club
                        Scores

Comment

I can't afford to go see another Broadway musical. I'm seeing Book of Mormon. But, yeah, good tips.
                          We got free Letterman tickets by answering a question from a staffer in Time Square. Easy questions to me and I barely every watch the show, but the experience was a lot of fun! We also saw Conan (now Fallon) and went to the Today show - all FREE!

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          It's a terrific holiday spot, I've been twice and I'd go again in a heartbeat. I'm sure you'll have a great time

And....yeah, I can't emphasise the subway Metropass enough. I went in '03 and spent a ton of both time and money on cabs and walking around. I went again in '05 and was astonished at how much of both I saved by using the subway all the time. I know you'll want to walk around and see the sights, but if you're going a bit of a distance you'll definitely want to take the subway. Walking from the south end up to midtown is a long walk!
                          I'm in 100% agreement, the subway system in NYC is fairly clean, easy to use and will save you a ton of money. It's all we use when we go.

As a bonus, keep on your sunglasses and people watch!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            We got free Letterman tickets by answering a question from a staffer in Time Square. Easy questions to me and I barely every watch the show, but the experience was a lot of fun! We also saw Conan (now Fallon) and went to the Today show - all FREE!

I'm in 100% agreement, the subway system in NYC is fairly clean, easy to use and will save you a ton of money. It's all we use when we go.

As a bonus, keep on your sunglasses and people watch!
                            Wow! Sounds great! I'm hoping (somehow) that the Daily Show will be recording, and I can sneak in. I love Jon Stewart.

sigpic

Comment

Wow! Sounds great! I'm hoping (somehow) that the Daily Show will be recording, and I can sneak in. I love Jon Stewart.
                              You need to do your research and request any tickets you once well in advance and according to the method by which they give them out, especially for The Daily Show or SNL (almost impossible)

Go to a bookstore and look at Frommers: New York City (or buy it if you feel so inclined)
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X