Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Episode 6th Season to be Eureka's Last?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
    I've read that, but the Syfy statements are calling it a sixth season, so that's what I'm going with.

Hollywood Reporter and Zap2it are getting pretty much the same statement that EW got....
    LINK

I don't know. If they tack the six episodes onto the back of the 13 episodes for season five and let them run all at once and just wrap the story up, that might be all right. It's just....I see us getting S5 next summer, and then a short six episode episode season in 2013, and that just seems weird. Six episodes isn't really even time enough to do a real story arc, unless they do it mini-series style.

Just to be clear....I'm not angry about this guys, even though Eureka's still one of my top favorite shows. A six-episode wrap-up, if true, is more than a lot of series get, and I am thankful for that. I'm just a little....stunned, I suppose, at the moment, and trying to understand what's going on. I didn't see this coming for a while yet.
    Yeah i got my sources from IGN, they can be abit more credible most of the time, so maybe its not going to end? who knows...... but as a fan im glad its not going to be cancelled
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

Initial reaction isn't good, but as I think about it I'm happy with this. 6 seasons is a good run and being able to know the end is coming is pretty cool.

As far as original shows on SyFy go I'll be down to only Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary (which might\likely will end next year as well).
      sigpic

Comment

If Season 5 or 6 turns out to be the end, then I hope it's because the cast and writers are ready to move on. In any event, it's good that it'll have enough advance notice to go out on its own terms.

As for the alternate timeline, I love it and it's what got me watching the show again on a regular basis, so I hope they never go back to the original timeline.
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
          As far as original shows on SyFy go I'll be down to only Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary (which might\likely will end next year as well).
          Skipping out on Being Human season 2? And I thought my reaction to Dichen Lachman's casting was bad
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
            As for the alternate timeline, I love it and it's what got me watching the show again on a regular basis, so I hope they never go back to the original timeline.
            I agree - I think the alternate timeline's been good for all the characters involved - not that it's been easy, but I think they're all in a better place than they were in the other timeline. I would hate to see it reset again. Jack's the only one who would be in about the same place in either timeline. Henry would lose Grace (and seriously, hasn't the man suffered enough?), Jo would lose her job and have to go back to being Jack's deputy, Fargo would lose his job, Allison would get her job back but Kevin would have autism again. And I'm not sure how excited she ever was about being head of GD. And I'll be the first to admit that I was highly skeptical about making Fargo director, but they've made it work.
            - Life after Stargate -
            Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
            Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
              But what about all the wrestling you will miss.
              Just blech!

As far as Syfy shows go, I'm only watching Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas, and I'm not crazy about Alphas. I'm just trying to give it a fair shot before I drop it. It's not based on any desire to boycott the network - I'm just not all that interested in their other stuff.

There's been rumors flying around about a WH13 spinoff - a prequel series based around the H.G.Wells character. I'm not sure I'm all that excited about that either though. *shrugs* MMV.

From EW:
              I can't imagine how they would spinoff Eureka. Eureka in space maybe?
              Currently, I'm only watching (really watching that is not just for something on) EUReKA and Sanctuary. WH 13 and Haven just because. Nothing else.

I'm not sure I'm interested enough in WH 13 for a spinoff.

I would hope they'd do a spinoff of EUReKA that is half as wonderful as the original is. Not sure what it might be about though.
              sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

This is how I see it;

Season 3: 18 episodes, 10 month gap between airing episodes 8 and 9. What should have taken 5-6 months (including holidays when new episodes don't air) to broadcast now becomes 14 months.

Season 4: 20 episodes. Christmas episode broke a 10 month gap between episodes into a 3 month break, then Christmas episode airs, followed by 7 month break. So basically same situation as season 3. Should have taken about 6-7 months to air (including extra time because of more episodes) but takes 14 months.

Then we have;

Season 5: 13 episodes
                Season 6: 6 episodes

Given past history, this makes sense. Rather than filming what should be a full season five of 19 episodes and sticking in another 10 month gap (god knows why they do it), they can film both seasons/all 19 episodes back to back. Any gap would be overlooked because the season has ended and they can still get their huge gap between episodes. Stargate had the opportunity to at least film midseason two parters but Eureka has been disappointing in this regard because it's never had that chance. Syfy just takes it off the air.

Unfortunately I can see it turning out as Season 5.1 will be 6 episodes, they'll throw in a large gap, 5.2 will be the remaining 7 episodes, followed by another huge gap, then season 6. As a result, Syfy just ordered the two shorter seasons as an excuse to throw in a second break.

sigpic

Comment

I agree - I think the alternate timeline's been good for all the characters involved - not that it's been easy, but I think they're all in a better place than they were in the other timeline. I would hate to see it reset again. Jack's the only one who would be in about the same place in either timeline. Henry would lose Grace (and seriously, hasn't the man suffered enough?), Jo would lose her job and have to go back to being Jack's deputy, Fargo would lose his job, Allison would get her job back but Kevin would have autism again. And I'm not sure how excited she ever was about being head of GD. And I'll be the first to admit that I was highly skeptical about making Fargo director, but they've made it work.
                  Exactly. When I compare where the characters were in the original timeline to where they are in the current timeline, it's no contest for me. As you mentioned, except for Jack, they're all in more interesting places now. In addition to all the things you mentioned, Jo getting her job back would likely mean less of Deputy Andy and I would hate that because Kavan Smith has been rocking that role.

This timeline freshened the show for me by shaking things up in interesting ways. For instance, Fargo as head of GD seemed like such a silly idea that i was sure it would only be temporary - but it works. Now, I can't imagine his not having that position. I also really enjoy Jo and Zane now where before they were just there for me. The writers seem to be using this timeline to address some of the problems with that relationship in the original timeline and that's a smart move.

And, it's good to see Kevin fully interact with everyone. Some of my favorite new timeline scenes were Allison's absolute giddiness in realizing that she could now really talk to Kevin. In the original timeline, it's possible that Henry could get together with Grace, but for all we know, she could be in a serious relationship and I wouldn't want to see Henry go through the pain of that.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                    This is how I see it;

Season 3: 18 episodes, 10 month gap between airing episodes 8 and 9. What should have taken 5-6 months (including holidays when new episodes don't air) to broadcast now becomes 14 months.

Season 4: 20 episodes. Christmas episode broke a 10 month gap between episodes into a 3 month break, then Christmas episode airs, followed by 7 month break. So basically same situation as season 3. Should have taken about 6-7 months to air (including extra time because of more episodes) but takes 14 months.

Then we have;

Season 5: 13 episodes
                    Season 6: 6 episodes

Given past history, this makes sense. Rather than filming what should be a full season five of 19 episodes and sticking in another 10 month gap (god knows why they do it), they can film both seasons/all 19 episodes back to back. Any gap would be overlooked because the season has ended and they can still get their huge gap between episodes. Stargate had the opportunity to at least film midseason two parters but Eureka has been disappointing in this regard because it's never had that chance. Syfy just takes it off the air.

Unfortunately I can see it turning out as Season 5.1 will be 6 episodes, they'll throw in a large gap, 5.2 will be the remaining 7 episodes, followed by another huge gap, then season 6. As a result, Syfy just ordered the two shorter seasons as an excuse to throw in a second break.
                    I suspect with the broken seasons 3.0, 3.5; 4.0, 4.5; etc is a money thing. Colin alluded to it back during the S3 hiatus that if the network breaks up the seasons like they are doing, they don't have to renegotiate contracts with the actors every year. It's every other year.

Which sucks! But that's what I think is going on.
                    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

I'm thinking more

You have season 5, we'll guarantee you 6 minimum for season six, let's see what the ratings are for the end of 4/beginning of 5 and we'll reassess then

as to the 13 episode thing....sanctuary only got 13 and I think it has more to do with 13 episodes being 1/4th of a year, thus 4 series with 13 episodes = 1 year's worth of uninterrupted first run programs

it's easier for them to program 13 episodes a season with 52 weeks a year than 20 episodes a season, leaving them (with two series) 12 extra weeks with nothing to air
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maxbo View Post
                        If Season 5 or 6 turns out to be the end, then I hope it's because the cast and writers are ready to move on. In any event, it's good that it'll have enough advance notice to go out on its own terms.

I think they might want to launch a new series, like a spin-off. They are looking to cash in on the success Eureka has been for the network. You know sell high, buy low, lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking there may also be a back half pickup or two. Eureka will be fairly close to the magic 100 episodes for syndication with 13 in S5 and 6 in S6, so a few more episodes would round it out pretty well.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            I'm thinking there may also be a back half pickup or two. Eureka will be fairly close to the magic 100 episodes for syndication with 13 in S5 and 6 in S6, so a few more episodes would round it out pretty well.
                            That sounds about right, plus I don't know how a show pulling in over 2 Million viewers still would be anywhere near their chopping block. Mark Stern did say they are hopeful that it will not be the end of the "Franchise" which immediately makes you think "spin off".
                            sigpic

Comment

Boom. No season six. Show cancelled at the end of five. No clue why.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                                Boom. No season six. Show cancelled at the end of five. No clue why.
                                I'm waiting for official word from Syfy.com, but it is not looking good.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X