Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Six Episode 6th Season to be Eureka's Last?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six Episode 6th Season to be Eureka's Last?

It's being reported by Deadline that Syfy has ordered six episodes to wrap the series. This would be in addition to the thirteen episodes for Season Five currently being filmed (S4.5 is currently airing).

Deadline article
    TVLine (pretty much the same thing)

However, James Hibbard at InsideTV has a somewhat different report. LINK

And here's TVbytheNumbers' take on it. LINK

What do you all think? I'm a little shocked, to be honest. After my initial "what?!?!?" reaction, I don't think I'd mind them planning ahead for a final season - that gives them a chance to give it a good ending if that's what they want. And while I love the show, I'd rather it end on a high note than otherwise. But I just don't get the six episode final season thing. Why not a full thirteen episode final season?
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

I also read that it could be 6 more episodes for season 5 and that season 5 may be the last i hope not i only just got into eureka this year
    Last Movie Watched
    X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
    Life is Strange

Comment

To be honest the serieshas been going downhill for me after the first two seasons which were brilliant.
      sigpic

Comment

But...but...I love EUReKA! It can't be over that soon!

It's almost getting to where I don't need to watch SyFy for anything!
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
          But...but...I love EUReKA! It can't be over that soon!

It's almost getting to where I don't need to watch SyFy for anything!
          But what about all the wrestling you will miss.
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah.... I like Eureka and will watch it as long as it airs, but I think it's been struggling a bit ever since one of the show's founders left. You can identify it from about the time the Artifact story came to a close.

Season 3 was a bit of floundering about while they tried to figure out what to do with it, and while the Season 4 story is interesting, I'm finding it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

If a 5th season is to be the end, I won't mind. Despite its problems I've enjoyed it throughout, but it's kind of had its run.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              Yeah.... I like Eureka and will watch it as long as it airs, but I think it's been struggling a bit ever since one of the show's founders left. You can identify it from about the time the Artifact story came to a close.

Season 3 was a bit of floundering about while they tried to figure out what to do with it, and while the Season 4 story is interesting, I'm finding it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

If a 5th season is to be the end, I won't mind. Despite its problems I've enjoyed it throughout, but it's kind of had its run.
              And atleast its getting the chance to wrap up the storyline, if it were on NBC or probably FOX too it would just be cancelled.... to tell you the truth im actually suprised Syfy is giving it a chance to wrap up the storyline
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

The whole changing the timeline thing is when it really went wrong for me, too many changes that I disliked.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                  The whole changing the timeline thing is when it really went wrong for me, too many changes that I disliked.
                  I like the changed timeline.... Or rather, I did at first. But at this point, it feels like it's been going on for too long and I'm ready for things to be fixed. And I think Zoe is sorely since her departure from the main cast.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I don't believe it is the performance since it still is one of the top shows in ratings for the network. Perhaps the producers want to just end it on a high note. I'd rather a show end with plenty of notice, so it gives the producers/writers time to have a fitting solid ending, something none of the Stargates got.
                    sigpic

Comment

I like the changed timeline.... Or rather, I did at first. But at this point, it feels like it's been going on for too long and I'm ready for things to be fixed. And I think Zoe is sorely since her departure from the main cast.
                      It has been drawn out too much, there's something wrong when they have to run a previously on clip before every episode. The only thing I liked about the timeline change was James Callis, he was brilliant.
                      sigpic

Comment

May be a spoiler....
                        Spoiler:
                        They never had any intention of fixing the changed timeline. They've said consistently that the changes were permanent. They're not going back to the old one. It was always meant to be a permanent reset.
                        - Life after Stargate -
                        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post
                          I also read that it could be 6 more episodes for season 5 and that season 5 may be the last i hope not i only just got into eureka this year
                          I've read that, but the Syfy statements are calling it a sixth season, so that's what I'm going with.

Hollywood Reporter and Zap2it are getting pretty much the same statement that EW got....
                          "[Producers] Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive," said Mark Stern, president of original content at Syfy, in a statement to THR. "Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise."
                          LINK

I don't know. If they tack the six episodes onto the back of the 13 episodes for season five and let them run all at once and just wrap the story up, that might be all right. It's just....I see us getting S5 next summer, and then a short six episode episode season in 2013, and that just seems weird. Six episodes isn't really even time enough to do a real story arc, unless they do it mini-series style.

Just to be clear....I'm not angry about this guys, even though Eureka's still one of my top favorite shows. A six-episode wrap-up, if true, is more than a lot of series get, and I am thankful for that. I'm just a little....stunned, I suppose, at the moment, and trying to understand what's going on. I didn't see this coming for a while yet.
                          Last edited by Killdeer; 04 August 2011, 10:52 PM.
                          - Life after Stargate -
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I'm so sick of this shortened season crap. Its like seasons keep on getting shorter and shorter! AMC pulled this six season crap with The Walking Dead. Its like what David Hewlett said - going into an ice cream shop and just getting the sampler. And The Walking Dead was so popular that they extended it to 13 episodes per season.

But come on, are we surprised here? This is SyFy. They create a series or pick it up from another network, it becomes popular and adds good rep to their name and when they have a loyal and dedicated fan base...they cancel it and piss off said fan base. They did it with Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis/Stargate Universe, they did it with Farscape and now they're doing it with Eureka!

If this is true, then Alphas and Warehouse 13 will most definitely be the final new shows I watch on the network. I'm so sick of this crap. SyFy doesn't care at all about its fans or even its reputation anymore, its all about ratings and making the cheapest shows you can. The thing is though, piss off enough of those fan bases and it WILL come back to bite you.

I've been going back through Star Trek: TOS Remastered and thinking about how great it was when TV shows delivered 25-26 episodes a season, episodes were 50 minutes and you didn't have to deal with additional annoying overlays promoting network shows (the same shows they advertise during EVERY commercial break). And am I the only one who thinks that they are getting even more intrusive and annoying with those overlays? I don't need an ad for a show to appear over a quarter of my screen, when there ALREADY is a small add for ANOTHER one of there shows in the OTHER corner of my screen...next thing they'll do is take up all FOUR corners of the screen with ads for their shows...

RE: Zoe - I miss Zoe too, but that's the nature of the beast. When you have characters on a show who are in highschool, you know that eventually they'll move out and go to college (especially in Eureka) so that she's in college makes perfect sense for her not being around.
                            That is just my two cents.

Comment

As far as Syfy shows go, I'm only watching Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas, and I'm not crazy about Alphas. I'm just trying to give it a fair shot before I drop it. It's not based on any desire to boycott the network - I'm just not all that interested in their other stuff.

There's been rumors flying around about a WH13 spinoff - a prequel series based around the H.G.Wells character. I'm not sure I'm all that excited about that either though. *shrugs* MMV.

From EW:
                              Notice Stern says “franchise” at the end here instead of “show” or “series.” Spin-off? Hmm…
                              I can't imagine how they would spinoff Eureka. Eureka in space maybe?
                              - Life after Stargate -
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X