This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta Central

Just thought it might be helpful to have a place for beta help since some of us are constanting urging people to use betas. The purpose of this post is two-fold:

1. Those who are willing to beta can post their strengths & weaknesses, as well as what they are willing to beta. Be sure to include things like if you are better with scientific help or if you wouldn't know a wormhole from wormwood, if you prefer to only beta something you could read to your kids at night or if you're willing to beta stories that will keep you up all night clutching your pillow, etc.

2. Those who need a beta can post asking for one. Please give a synopsis of your story, as well as what you're looking for from the beta service. If you only want someone to check spelling and grammar, please say so. If you only want someone to check out the characterization, please put that in your post. (You should not be worried about using two betas--I used to do that but am down to one AWESOME beta ATM)

Bear in mind, all responses must be PG-13. Beta readers, please indicate if someone can PM you with graphic details of any sort.

If you speak/write any other languages, please indicate them.

If I've missed something, please feel free to give me your suggestions.

I'll start off with my own as a response to this post.

Spoiler:
    Mods, if this is already done, I apologize. I did not see one on the first six pages, going back a full year.
    Last edited by Whytewytch; 03 August 2011, 04:17 AM.
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

My strengths: I’m good with characterization & “voice”, spelling, grammar and interactions between characters. I have a BA in English and have beta'd for my own, very exacting, beta (who is a published author and an editor for RWA) for about a year now.

Weaknesses: I’m not exactly an “A” student in science, although I can grasp concepts when they’re explained in plain English. Turn-around time can be an issue. My favorite quote is me to a “T”—“I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.”

Will not do: There’s hardly anything I won’t do when it comes to beta-ing. Get as graphic as you want, sexually or with violence. Oh, except cannibalism. Just can’t do where people get eaten.

Prefer: Romance (NOT sugar-coated cotton candy fluff. I need some angst!). I also like a good adventure story now and again. I prefer het but will work with a good slash story. Mind, I only know the SGA characters well.

PM: Yes. Feel free to PM me with any questions of a graphic nature, pertaining to either sex or violence.

Languages: English
    sigpic
    Sig by Bay, for my birthday. Find me on fanfiction.net, AO3, or fictionpress.com. If you are over 18, I invite you to read my blogs. On Blogger: Other Worlds, Other Loves On Wordpress: Other Worlds, Other Loves.
    Fennyman: "Who is that?" Henslowe: "Nobody. The author." (From Shakespeare in Love)

Comment

Hi I'm Locutes and I am currently writing a spin off story to Amann's story Golden Dawn.

Trinity

Synopsis
      Spoiler:
      The story is about a rogue organisation based on a colony world known as 'Nieuw Indië'. At this moment the Tau'ri are uncertain as to who this organisation is.

This organisation itself is called Trinity and its goal is to help Earth survive the universe. Trinity is currently a minor power and the only thing they excel at is being economically powerful yet being very secretive. However they are at a crossroads. Anubis has been defeated but a possibly even bigger target has been unearthed, multiple even. Ba'al has inherited most of Anubis' troops and technology, the Tok'ra have become a powerhouse for they and a Goa'uld (the Red Devil) have joined forces and has been building up a large force of clone armies and are at war with an offshoot race of the Lantians under the leadership of Amann, the Alesian Empire.

On Earth there are two primary powers, the Tau'ri whom currently are seen as the only legitimate power to be represented in the intergalactic community, they are under the direction of the IOA but the SGC and the USA have allot of power.

Trinity is the second power, though they are underground and are not officially known. The Tau'ri think they are a branch of the Trust and there for consider them rebels, traitors and terrorists. This story is supposed to follow Trinity's rise from being nothing to well something. Their nation of origin is the Dutch Republic and its organisation VOC, the Dutch Republic is a state from history the Kingdom of the Netherlands is its official successor, they are also the successor of the VOC, so there will be several Dutch words found throughout the story.

The Milky Way is split between the Tau'ri, Goa'uld (incl. the Tok'ra Republic), the Free jaffa, the Lucian Alliance and the Alesian Empire. The Lucian Alliance is currently the primary adversary of Trinity and they have been attacking and raiding Trinity shipping and I am currently at the point that Trinity is working to rev up military production to full out war production to go on the offensive.

The idea is to first write the war with the Lucian Alliance and then get in trouble with the Tau'ri and its allies, perhaps even a war with the Alesian empire.

tech base:
      Spoiler:
      Trinity tech is based around Terran and Goa'uld technology though Trinity does scavenge around to get better technology.

The primary vessel of the Royal Colonial Armed Forces, or the Trinity Armed Forces is the Jager class ship.
      The Jager class is a small vessel of about 100m long and its primary armaments are two AG-3 based beam weapons scavenged from a dead world. The fuel for this ship is liquid naquadriah, this also fuels the weapon systems. The missiles used by this ship are usually nuclear with naquadah or naquadriah enhanced missiles though conventional missiles are also known to be used allot. The rest of its armaments are normal Goa'uld staff cannons scaled to the size needed, about twelve in different sizes.

A second class has been designed and is based around technology scavenged mostly from Anubis, this ship is called the Predator class. This class of ship is 500m long and its primary weaponry are 12 AG-3 based beam weapons, the same as used on the Jager. It also has three times the secondary armaments of the Jager.

Speed wise these ships are slightly faster than conventional Goa'uld vessels simply by putting more juce in their oversized engines.

www.darkarmada.nl
      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

1. I am willing to get most grammar and spelling typos. I am good at comment on characterization and continuity. I don't know much about physics, but I am a biology, history, and mythology geek. I'm willing to beta most any story regarding squick, though I'd like to be warned about it beforehand

2. I am seeking a beta for myself (beta exchange?). I'm mostly looking for grammar/spelling. Characterization and science aren't necessary, though appreciated. The fic I want betaed at the moment is rated mature, containing occasional gore and many adult issues. I could use help with Chinese and Korean for a few chapters, but it's only a few sentence, so it's not that big of a deal

Spoiler:
        Synopsis: Atlantis has been turned into a headquarters for a peace delegation, offering SGC's services as mediators and protectors across three galaxies. Things are not so simple, though. The Ori galaxy has collapsed into anarchy with a hatred for the SGC. The delegation causes more quarrels than it solves in the Milky Way Galaxy as weak Goa'uld seek protection form the dying Tok'ra. The wraith have begun to focus on creativity in killing each other, only to give the humans ample opportunity to start fights with each other. Earth itself is starting itself share of trouble as well.

No specific plot, but several individual ones in this story. Currently a work in progress.

Please PM me instead of replying to this. It will increase the likelihood I'll notice.

I'll read most any SGA fic, preferably a wraith-one (they can be baddies). I'm against Sues, though.
        Last edited by WraithRichard; 21 August 2011, 11:24 PM.
        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

good idea to start a thread for this; makes it easier to find Betas
          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Glad y'all like. Let's spread the word, shall we?
            sigpic

Comment

I guess i'll join in. I can beta to a certain degree, though i have Betas of my own already.

Strengths: Characterization in both canon SG and other media, as well as developing well rounded OCs that meld well. Action/Adventure plots and detailing, as well as atmospheric writing. I've done everything from cutesy funny, angsty romance, brutal action, to thrilling horror.

Weakness: I'm not a technically minded person when it comes to specific details, but I do have the ability to 'dumb' it down enough that the layperson can understand. My grammar isn't the best but that's why I use betas as well.

Won't do: Wraith centric stories - I've written ONE wraith centric story and while interesting, it isn't something i feel i'm 'great' at. Won't do Sam/Jack, and have reservations about McKeller. Most other ships i have no issue with.

Like to do: Action/Adventure with emphasis on characters. Underdog stories really make me smile. Action scenes as well as infusion of comedy in an otherwise serious story.
              Last edited by Aragon101; 06 August 2011, 11:21 PM.
              Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
              Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
              Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

I'm going to volunteer my services as a beta too.

Strength:

I have considerable knowledge of military subjects, despite my own army service being non-combat (I was a clerk in the Israeli army's Court of Appeals; great place for picking up army stories etc.). I've been reading history books voraciously since age 12, so I know a fair bit about ancient cultures, past wars and such. I studied screenplay writing in the university, so I can be pretty good with advising on plots, scenes, writing style etc. I gladly comment on what I like in a story, but beta reading is primarily troubleshooting, so I'm fairly irreverent in my criticism; if I decide that a story, or a chapter, or a scene thereof is beyond saving, I won't shy away from telling you to just scrap it. Finally, I am a native Russian speaker, completely fluent in Hebrew and I speak a few more languages including German and Belorussian, so if you need help with a foreign character, it might come in handy.

Weaknesses: I'm not a native English speaker, so even though my English strikes most people as good, don't count on me to fix your grammar and spelling. I'm not a science guy, so coming up with the physics of how this or that alien device could work may sometimes prove to be above my pay grade. I'm not very good at precise mimicking of the original characters' personality and don't ascribe too much importance to it, so if you're very concerned with their "authentic" representation, you should probably consult someone other than me.

Preferences: I generally prefer action-oriented stories over romance-oriented ones, but I will nevertheless proofread a "girly" story so long as it is well-written and not just cliched sugary mush. (Stories which blend action AND romance are very welcome). I won't do "slash" stories which pair up two characters who aren't "canonically" meant to be homosexual. I don't mind sexual content but I won't do stories which are one big sex scene. I don't mind stories which have some elements smartly borrowed from other franchises- be they movies, TV shows or computer games- but I won't do crossovers.
                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Originally posted by Womble View Post
                  I'm going to volunteer my services as a beta too.

Strength:

I have considerable knowledge of military subjects, despite my own army service being non-combat (I was a clerk in the Israeli army's Court of Appeals; great place for picking up army stories etc.). I've been reading history books voraciously since age 12, so I know a fair bit about ancient cultures, past wars and such. I studied screenplay writing in the university, so I can be pretty good with advising on plots, scenes, writing style etc. I gladly comment on what I like in a story, but beta reading is primarily troubleshooting, so I'm fairly irreverent in my criticism; if I decide that a story, or a chapter, or a scene thereof is beyond saving, I won't shy away from telling you to just scrap it. Finally, I am a native Russian speaker, completely fluent in Hebrew and I speak a few more languages including German and Belorussian, so if you need help with a foreign character, it might come in handy.

Weaknesses: I'm not a native English speaker, so even though my English strikes most people as good, don't count on me to fix your grammar and spelling. I'm not a science guy, so coming up with the physics of how this or that alien device could work may sometimes prove to be above my pay grade. I'm not very good at precise mimicking of the original characters' personality and don't ascribe too much importance to it, so if you're very concerned with their "authentic" representation, you should probably consult someone other than me.

Preferences: I generally prefer action-oriented stories over romance-oriented ones, but I will nevertheless proofread a "girly" story so long as it is well-written and not just cliched sugary mush. (Stories which blend action AND romance are very welcome). I won't do "slash" stories which pair up two characters who aren't "canonically" meant to be homosexual. I don't mind sexual content but I won't do stories which are one big sex scene. I don't mind stories which have some elements smartly borrowed from other franchises- be they movies, TV shows or computer games- but I won't do crossovers.
                  Really? Any specific reason why?
                  Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                  Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                  Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Originally posted by Aragon101 View Post
                    Really? Any specific reason why?
                    Imagine that you like fishing and you like strawberry. Then imagine that you're using strawberry as fish bait. That's how I see crossovers
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

what a waste, crossovers, to me, are usually the most fun to read, if well written like taskforce 43(Star Trek B5 cross index) on spacebattles

www.darkarmada.nl
                      www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Guys, let's bear in mind that this is a place to offer or request services, please. This is NOT a place to judge someone's preferences. The preferences are there so that you know, for example, not to request Womble to beta your SGA/Sanctuary cross-over or Aragon101 to look over your Wraith-centric story. Some people don't like slash, some don't like horror. When we get enough people posting here, we should have a good pool to draw from so that you will be able to find someone to beta your SGA/Sanctuary cross-over where Todd goes on a bender through Old City and winds up sleeping with Henry. Or whatever.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey there!
                          I want to translate my newest ff to post a link here, but as I am just a little a-level course pupil, my English isn't as good as it should be to post a story with a number of mistakes that is acceptable for you to read.

So I asked myself if there's somebody around here who would read my translations before I post them?

Comment

i could definitly use a beta
                            sigpic

http://www.fanfiction.net/~ussthor

Comment

I'm looking for someone to beta a S/J fic that I wrote last September, and posted to the SJAlways site.

I'd probably rate it M, it's an AU fic. If anyone is interested please PM me and we can talk about the details. It's my first fic for any fandom, so I'm completely new to the whole idea. I'd appreciate any help that can be offered.

Comment

Working...
                              X