This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silent Realization

They seem super ridiculously badass, right?

You forget them, they control you with post-hypnotic suggestion, etc etc

But they got significantly less badass when i realized he likely stole the idea of such a race from Star Trek Voyager...

I mean....seriously

You mean how the Borg seem less badass when you realise that they're a copy of the cybermen?

Please. It makes no difference.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Ideas from scifi shows have always overlapped. I doubt Moffat stole the idea. Also Doctor Who is a show that pushes the imagination and visits new places. Voyager isn't.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Partially, p90.

And Admiral, it's not exactly like I'm blaming him for doing such a thing, but I'm a bit annoyed how they're held to be an incredibly original idea, a sign of "moffat's genius" as some called it

Comment

It was an original execution, even if something similar has been done before. That's what everyone is praising. The reason no one is giving Voyager credit is because it is credit undeserved. It's like saying Doctor Who has copied Voyager because they are both science fiction shows. There's no case for it to stand on.

It's all based on presumption. What if Moffat has never seen Voyager?
          I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
            Ideas from scifi shows have always overlapped. I doubt Moffat stole the idea. Also Doctor Who is a show that pushes the imagination and visits new places. Voyager isn't.
            ....Wow. You really think that? Cause I just don't see it.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
              I'd happen to agree with Mapp myself. Doctor Who always comes up with new and original spins on an idea. More and more in the last couple of seasons. Take creatures like the weeping angels or the Vashda Nerrada.

Voyager however always had a feeling of being essentially The Next Generation for a second round. There were, to be fair on Voyager, occasional good ideas such as the Organ Stealing Vidians. But everything else was merely standard Star Trek fair.

So in the end when you compare really eccentric and interesting villains like the ones in Doctor Who to the more typical, always humanoid, largely two dimensional villains in Voyager and other Trek series then in my opinion Doctor Who will always come out on top.

..........Not to mention that other than the Borg there are precious few Trek baddies that actually come across as scary......Doctor Who on the other hand makes it a point to make children hide behind sofas.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                Admittedly I'm biased because I don't like Voyager and have a great fondness for Doctor Who, but in terms of shows using similar ideas - there have to be vague similarities. When I first saw the Silence I thought they looked an awful lot like the Gentlemen monsters from Buffy, but I never once thought that maybe it's where Moffat's inspiration came from. Sometimes people come up with similar ideas with TV shows. That's impossible to avoid.

sigpic

Comment

Not seeing this as that big of a deal. With the Silence you forget them the instant they're out of sight, not a 'few hours', it's unknown whether or not this ability is a natural ability of the Silence or something achieved through technological means, I think that's more than enough to counter this notion that he 'stole' the idea from Voyager.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X