Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=fems;12812904]They didn't gate to 1969 as a destination. The solar flares caused them to travel back in time and bring them back to Earth, so the moment they got out of the gate it was 1969 and thus there was no gate (making it disappear).

If a ship is in orbit of a planet with a gate, then the incoming wormhole will be directed towards the gate on the ship. If Klorel's ship hadn't been in orbit, SG-1 would have gated to the planet instead (same if Klorel's ship had been in orbit of a different planet).

And a gate with a DHD takes precedence over a gate with a dialing computer (like we've seen with the beta gate and the rogue team) when there are two gates on one planet, before you ask.[/QUO

tnx for pointing out this gate-controls competition's results; will remember this important aspect
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

[QUOTE=StargateWatcher;12813146]
      Originally posted by fems View Post
      They didn't gate to 1969 as a destination. The solar flares caused them to travel back in time and bring them back to Earth, so the moment they got out of the gate it was 1969 and thus there was no gate (making it disappear).

If a ship is in orbit of a planet with a gate, then the incoming wormhole will be directed towards the gate on the ship. If Klorel's ship hadn't been in orbit, SG-1 would have gated to the planet instead (same if Klorel's ship had been in orbit of a different planet).

And a gate with a DHD takes precedence over a gate with a dialing computer (like we've seen with the beta gate and the rogue team) when there are two gates on one planet, before you ask.[/QUO

tnx for pointing out this gate-controls competition's results; will remember this important aspect
      What were the circumstances that enabled SGC to dial the chevrons from a computer rather than from the age-old device?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        What were the circumstances that enabled SGC to dial the chevrons from a computer rather than from the age-old device?
        That goes back to the movie Stargate where Daniel Jackson solves the issue by recognizing the symbols on the gate as starsigns. And then Carter wrote a computer program - MacGyvered one if I recall correctly - and they had a means to dial the gate to other worlds by using the glypgs they found on Abydos.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          They didn't gate to 1969 as a destination. The solar flares caused them to travel back in time and bring them back to Earth, so the moment they got out of the gate it was 1969 and thus there was no gate (making it disappear).

And a gate with a DHD takes precedence over a gate with a dialing computer (like we've seen with the beta gate and the rogue team) when there are two gates on one planet, before you ask.
          I believe that when you dial a set of coordinates into the Stargate you are dialing into that part of space, not necessarily a planet. If you remember in Stargate Atlantis' "Adrift" (S4:E1) Dr. McKay was able to finally plot where they were in space. They couldn't dial out because Atlantis was moving too fast. So, you don't always have to dial from a planet or in orbit of a planet.

In my own theory they gated onto Klorel's ship because his (Klorel's) ship was closest to the dialing gate, in this case Earth's. Again, just a theory, had Klorel's ship been on the other side of the planet and the planet's gate (if there was one) was closer to Earth I believe they would have gated in there.

But what is also interesting to me is that planets move throughout a solar system. Earth itself travels roughly 300 million km (186 million miles) around the Sun. So how does the Stargate account for that? Is it one Stargate to an entire solar system? That is what puzzles me.

Comment

Originally posted by Outsider View Post
            I believe that when you dial a set of coordinates into the Stargate you are dialing into that part of space, not necessarily a planet. If you remember in Stargate Atlantis' "Adrift" (S4:E1) Dr. McKay was able to finally plot where they were in space. They couldn't dial out because Atlantis was moving too fast. So, you don't always have to dial from a planet or in orbit of a planet.

In my own theory they gated onto Klorel's ship because his (Klorel's) ship was closest to the dialing gate, in this case Earth's. Again, just a theory, had Klorel's ship been on the other side of the planet and the planet's gate (if there was one) was closer to Earth I believe they would have gated in there.

But what is also interesting to me is that planets move throughout a solar system. Earth itself travels roughly 300 million km (186 million miles) around the Sun. So how does the Stargate account for that? Is it one Stargate to an entire solar system? That is what puzzles me.
            In the movie you dial the gate buy plugging in co-ordinates but I think the writers retconned that and the glyphs are just like numbers on the telephone ie it's just a code.

I mean you can see this by the fact that all gates have the same 39 (38?) symbols. There is just no way 39 constellations can be seen from every planet that has a gate.

Comment

Actually, the answer to the episode with Jack "sticking his arm through the gate" isn't exactly correct I believe.

I might be wrong, but, I thought it was his gun that went through, not his hand.

Either way, I don't think his stuck his hand through the gate after coming out of it. More likely that his hand or whatever was the last to come through the gate. For example, he steps in one side slowly and on the other side just leaves his hand or whatever there.

It's true the the wormhole is only one way... But his hand was merely sticking into the event horizon. It can go in and out of that small area of the event horizon, assuming his whole body doesn't go through. If his whole body went through, he'd merely be stuck in the event horizon, and wouldn't travel anywhere. Energy can still go back and forth through the gate / wormhole, so regardless of the wormhole itself being "one way" it's still possible for things to enter the event horizon.

If it was impossible to be halfway through the event horizon, nobody who would come out of a Stargate would be left alive if you're all assuming sticking your hand in it would cause any harm.

The Stargate itself is an advanced computer. It knows and had it's own internal safety protocols for certain situations.

Also, Ben Noble, the gate still takes 6 points and a point of origin to determine where to dial to. Regardless if all planets can't SEE the constellations, they physically exist, they're real places. For example, if you're dialing Atlantis, you'd need the 5 surrounding stars, the star / planet you want to dial, and the point of origin. The middle button on a DHD fills in the blank for the point of origin for where you're dialing at. So if you're at earth, it's the 6 symbols and the final symbol would be the middle button, or something of the sort.

Keep in mind there are tons of surrounding stars to create multiple combinations for places that are within the same area. It could eventually just be equated to a telephone number, and the DHDs probably have adjusted itself to be somewhat like that, with there being so many Stargates... But it's based on specific areas in space.

Comment

Originally posted by IceSage View Post
                Also, Ben Noble, the gate still takes 6 points and a point of origin to determine where to dial to. Regardless if all planets can't SEE the constellations, they physically exist, they're real places. For example, if you're dialing Atlantis, you'd need the 5 surrounding stars, the star / planet you want to dial, and the point of origin. The middle button on a DHD fills in the blank for the point of origin for where you're dialing at. So if you're at earth, it's the 6 symbols and the final symbol would be the middle button, or something of the sort.

Keep in mind there are tons of surrounding stars to create multiple combinations for places that are within the same area. It could eventually just be equated to a telephone number, and the DHDs probably have adjusted itself to be somewhat like that, with there being so many Stargates... But it's based on specific areas in space.
                This makes no sense. The gate uses 6 symbols + PoO as the address not 5 you don't have to know the departure gates' PoO to travel to.

So your telling me 39 constellations can be used to dail anywhere in the galaxy I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                X