No announcement yet.

Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you're just referring to the moments when the Abydonians are speaking to each other, eg. "Son, we should not have helped the strangers," etc. Those are the only parts with Abydonian subtitles (and Ra's dialogue, of course).
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

My (Director's Cut) version has Abydonian subtitles.
      When Ra is telling Daniel to kill his companions or Ra will kill everyone. Among other scenes...
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Those aren't the subtitles I was referring to. All of Ra's dialogue has always been subtitled. I thought Matt G was referring to Kasuf's lines like "boni wae!" and Skaara's lines like, "Miou, miou, shimi ow!"
        Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Actually, the versions I've watched never had any subtitles at all. Not Kasuf's speech, not Skaara's, not Shau'ri's and not even Ra's.

Comment

I re watched this and Daniel is still my favorite
            sigpic
            My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
            poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

I'm a little behind but when you work 11-12 hours shifts 5 days a week free time is a rare commodity

Anyway I watched this last night and my opinion of the movie is largely the same. Its a medicore film to launch one of my favorite sci-fi franchises. The biggest fault is on Abydos it drones on in boredem until we get to the actual action. It has its moments too like I have always liked Ra despite his villian cliches
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Ok so I'm a little behind and I am just watching the movie now! But I pretty much feel the same as a few ppl here...that the movie is ok on its own, but as a starter to the series it really on infos a few characters and the concept, then the show deviates drastically. I like the series way better!!! Glad they made the changes for the show.
                sigpic Gets better with age!

Conventions:
                Creation Vancouver SG Con 2009 - 2010 - 2011 - 2012
                GateCon Vancouver 2011
                Creation Chicago SG Con 2013 - 2014

Comment

I'm late to the prewatch, but I don't think I'll have a problem catching up with the individual episodes.

I've repeatedly watched SG-1 and SGA, but I've rarely re-watched Stargate. For the prewatch, I viewed the movie a few times. I first saw the movie in 1994. Re-watching it on DVD, I can't remember my initial reaction to the movie. Time, and innumerable viewings of SG-1 and SGA, have left my memory muddled. There is one question that stands out for me now, that I don't remember questioning before SG-1. The DHD was not with the stargate on Earth at the military installation. Computers were used on Earth to dial the stargate to get to Abydos. How did they intend to dial the stargate to get back home? For that matter, how did they dial home from Abydos?
                  My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

Manual dailing?

Last edited by hlndncr; 08 August 2011, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                      Manual dailing?
                      That's seems likely. If they brought a power source with them to power the stargate on Abydos. On the commentary, Dean Devlin mentioned his intention to make sequel(s) to Stargate. Perhaps Devlin would have addressed how O'Neil's team returned to Earth in the sequel.
                      My Stargate Re-Watch Blog: Wormhole!

Comment

I watched the film last Sunday. I hadn't seen it in at least five or six years. I forgotten how good a film it is. I adored the design of it, particularly the Horus guard's helmets, Ra's throne room aboard his mothership and the Mastadge.

I'd also forgotten how little screen time Ra actually has. With the exception of the opening scene showing him taking the Egyptian boy as a host in 8000 B.C. and the flashbacks to it later on, he doesn't properly appear until 80 minutes into the film. Plus he only has three major scenes. Still, he's a very memorable villain as the first villain (let alone the first Goa'uld) to appear in the franchise and really is iconic in the Stargate universe due to his oft-discussed power and influence in the good 'ol days.

I'll give it 8.5/10.
                        Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926)

I have no country to fight for. My country is the Earth. I am a citizen of the world.

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong.

Comment

Pulling thread from the depths of Gateworld for the "Proper Stargate Rewatch" as has been decreed at the message feed of stargatecommand.com.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Moose checking in! I actually haven't watched the original movie in quite awhile.
                            Last edited by mooseman; 12 October 2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

HolyHannah here! Hubby is in for the rewatch, too. But getting him to create his own profile - easier said than done. My comments will likely be joint comments.

Comment

I've seen the original cut once and unknowingly watched the director's cut this run through.

Just need to get my hands on the Blu-ray!

EDIT: haltrman93, reporting as ordered.

Comment

Working...
                                X