Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Stargate Prewatch: Stargate the Movie!

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    Interesting idea. I hadn't considered reading outside reviews of the movie from the time. You can definitely see how most of the movie world discounts and misunderstands science fiction in general and Stargate in particular.
    You're gonna read my reviews when we begin the re-watch. I think I watch SG enough times to be able to write reviews.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    There do seem to be some plotholes in this movie. For example, does the Air Force know what happens when you dial the gate? You get the implication that they do because of O'Neil's comments about "I'm here if you succeed" all of the equipment that they had in the gateroom (including the proto-MALP thing). If so, why were they keeping Daniel in the dark about all of this? Also, Catherine Langford is quite clear that they've managed to dial 6 chevrons just not the 7th. Why not keep spinning the gate until you get to #7?
    They've been working on this for 2 years before Daniel joined them. Of course they managed to figure out something
    When has anything like that ever been revealed even in real life?
    It's not about spinning the gate. It's about the symbol. They didn't know which is the right one. They didn't even know there was such a thing as a point of origin.

I also get as much fun at seeing the things Devlin and Emerich got "wrong," so to speak. No, it's not in another galaxy you dialed 7 chevrons not 8. Two Ls please and give the man a sense of humor! And Walter needed to give those technicians a briefing about how to count out chevrons. Also, how did Lucious Lavin manage to find his way to Stargate Command ;-)?!
    Like I said, I saw them as they were still young in every way possible, these ideas were still not made including the one about the 8 chevrons for another galaxy, and BTW if it was the other side of the galaxy, it would be 9 chevrons not 8 as you said.

Probie

As some have pointed out, there are some plot holes in the movie, but overall it's a very fun film. The highlight of the film, for me at least, is James Spader's Daniel jackson. Such a great character! And while I love the more self-assured Daniel that emerges in later seasons, I'll always like that early, awkward, Daniel best.
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheOSS View Post

They've been working on this for 2 years before Daniel joined them. Of course they managed to figure out something
    When has anything like that ever been revealed even in real life?
    It's not about spinning the gate. It's about the symbol. They didn't know which is the right one. They didn't even know there was such a thing as a point of origin.
    Okay then, why did the dialing computer monitor show 7 boxes for the chevrons? Catherine Langford clearly states that they dialed 6, you've got 33 more tries (assuming they don't repeat) to find #7.

Like I said, I saw them as they were still young in every way possible, these ideas were still not made including the one about the 8 chevrons for another galaxy, and BTW if it was the other side of the galaxy, it would be 9 chevrons not 8 as you said.
    I know all those details, that's why it makes it fun to point that out.

Okay then, why did the dialing computer monitor show 7 boxes for the chevrons? Catherine Langford clearly states that they dialed 6, you've got 33 more tries (assuming they don't repeat) to find #7.
    Again I'll repeat what I said, the only problem was that they couldn't find the seventh symbol. They already knew there had t be one and that's why they programmed it in the computer, they just didn't know which one. That's where Daniel came. HE re-translated everything and found the seventh symbol.
    One other thing, just because they knew there was a seventh symbol doesn't mean they knew it was meant to be the point of origin. Daniel figured that part out. They thought it was a code. A sequence.

Well let me start by saying I am watching the Directors cut. Also I figured I would keep this post open while watching the movie.

Having watch SG1 and SGA full threw at least 3 times now Its always fun to come back to what started it all.

I do know that in the Directors cut they make it seem like everyone knows what the "device" for. The fossil for one. When jack comes in he points to the fossil and say's "You know thanks to that guy, things are going to be way more complicated." the guard responds thats why you are here. There is more but thats the dead give away, but then again in the theatrical version we don't see that.

I also like how the Wormhole looks in the movies with the pool spinning behind it. I'm guessing that was cut from SG1 because it was more CG then they had money for.

I'm Definitely more of a James Spader style Daniel Jackson, over The later season of the MS version. But in saying that 7-8 years of dealing with the stuff he has to is bound to change a man.

LOL at French Staurt.

As to the animal they encounter; it is surprising that SG1 didn't make up more alien creatures.

I notice they come across a mine operation at first.Which is right along with what that goa'uld do to enslaved planets. Is this a naquadah mine? they do say its made of the same material as the gate itself. Because if it is man oh man did SG command screw up. anyway moving on.

I like how they made a point in showing that writing was forbidden.

Wish we would of seen the city in SG1, but kinda a big set I guess.

I wonder if the humans nex to ra were supposed to be Goa'uld. Also why would he show them that his human form, and not only his mask form.

Interesting, ra says he created our civilization. going completely against what Sg1 goes with. But he is goa'ild so he could be lying.

I wonder why they didnt just fire their guns at the goa'uld, i guess skari and the other kids really didn't know what they did.

(Let me just say thank god for auto save. clicked the wrong thing and stuff went bad. buto auto save bailed me out.)

Man that was the longest 1:30 of all time. And man 45 seconds to get to space that was lucky.

All in all, I do still love this movie, Its not as good as the Series, but where would we be with out it. I may cheat a little and watch COTD a little early, but that doesn't mean I wont rewatch.

Great idea on the Rewatch

Starfox over and out.

My telescope, dreaming about space travel

Also, how did Lucious Lavin manage to find his way to Stargate Command ;-)?
    Ohhh, Lucius. That cracks me up every time. I keep thinking to myself, "WHY are they taking that man seriously?" lol
    I do love this movie, though, a whole lot more than I expected to.

Sig and avi by yamiinsane

Probie

In the middle of rewatching the movie now. It's highly entertaining seeing where the series came from. Anyone else notice that the "Goa'uld" looks more like an Asgard then the snake heads we see in the series?

Quote Originally Posted by ~NASHARA~ View Post
    In the middle of rewatching the movie now. It's highly entertaining seeing where the series came from. Anyone else notice that the "Goa'uld" looks more like an Asgard then the snake heads we see in the series?
    Yeah I know in some of the Stargate role playing games, Ra's host was an ancient asgard.

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

I think the Horus guards and Anubis looked absolutely fantastic in the film (that's what a bigger budget will get you), and the snake-heads in the TV series never worked. They looked pretty cheesy and ridiculous.

Just finished the movie. Damn time flies fast. I already forgot that I forgot everything from that movie It was like watching it the first time.
    Really enjoyed it.
    The funniest thing is that having seen all the stargate episodes I was watching that movie and was thinking oh that man is going to die in the second episode, and that man is going to be a father in law for Daniel. And the star map at the Command talking in robot voice
    Also what's up with Ra's guard being Anubis? Anubis from SG-1 being ascended and all would be very upset about the use of his name
    Those energy weapons were much more powerful, and gave quite a recoil when fired, but when they hit a human body, it was just a burn mark. I would have thought it would blow a body to bits. No wonder they dialed it down in TV series. Also they changed Sha're name from Sha'uri. In movie and series actors of Sha're were selected perfectly in my opinion.
    Ra's guard looked very cool, and hey outfits as well.
    I am a big fan of James Spader, at least I love him from Boston Legal. He managed to portray Daniel perfectly, and Michael Shanks picked it over perfectly from James. It was like watching same actor.
    Regarding their thinking that they travelled to the edge of the known universe and later on changing it to Abydos being closest to us. Who knows maybe in the movie Command's tracking methods were not up to par and they just reported wrong results.
    Also I think Goa'uld did not look like Asgard, maybe in shape, but nothing else.
    Overall I really enjoyed the movie, but SG-1 is still my favourite because it expanded on that idea.

Again I'll repeat what I said, the only problem was that they couldn't find the seventh symbol. They already knew there had t be one and that's why they programmed it in the computer, they just didn't know which one. That's where Daniel came. HE re-translated everything and found the seventh symbol.
    One other thing, just because they knew there was a seventh symbol doesn't mean they knew it was meant to be the point of origin. Daniel figured that part out. They thought it was a code. A sequence.

I'm with jsonitsac on this one... It's a huge plot hole

They had six symbols
    They knew they needed a 7th

Why not just use the six in the same order and try the other 30+ one at a time in the 7th spot?

Knowledge that it's the point of origin is irrelevant at this point.

Probie

Just finished watching the first Stargate movie. Roland Emmerich's Stargate was almost like an alternative reality. I read that he is supposed to make the next two Stargate movies that he envisioned. I really enjoy seeing the core idea of Stargate again. I can't wait for the start of the re-watch! YAY!

I rewatched the movie yesterday, ou!! I love it.
    I started watch this serie (I had see the movie when I had watch some episodes) 'cause my oldest brothers tolk me about a sci-fy serie he was watching, and he supossed I'd like it. He said me "the protagonist is McGyver", so I started to see the serie. I love this man.

Now I had realized 2 different things: O'Neil son's name (Tyler at the movie, Charlie in the serie), and the already said in other post that the movie said Abydoss is in another galaxy (withoout ZMP)

About the actors with the same character, or same character with differents actors, you can see, but, you have see that the scientific Gary Meyers, who had make the wrong traduction, is the character of Lucios in two episodes in SGA?

For finish, a questions:
    Movie or serie?
    Kurt Rusell or Richard Dean Anderson?
    James Spader or Michael Shanks?
    And following...

Finally, sorry for my english, I don't write it very well

Quote Originally Posted by SoundWaveV View Post

They had six symbols

Why not just use the six in the same order and try the other 30+ one at a time in the 7th spot?

Now I see it. You're right.
    But think about this. Maybe they didn't because each time they dial, they draw a huge amount of power.

Now I see it. You're right.
    But think about this. Maybe they didn't because each time they dial, they draw a huge amount of power.
    Yeah, there are ways to look at it to clean up the plot hole, but it would have been nice if SG1 somehow addressed this particular hole. O’ well

The whole sequence is rushed…. I think the producers just wanted to have Catharine say: “Jackson has found the seventh symbol” as quick as possible.

There was also the same issue with the team on Abydos... they had six, but didn’t have the 7th. However, I believe they answer why they didn’t just try random symbols….I think it was something to do with not knowing what was on the other side.

Chief Master Sergeant juggernaut975's Avatar

They had six symbols

Isn't it the case that, up until Daniel joined the project, they didn't even know that it was a transportation device? Daniel was the one who was like 'Aha, Orion!', discovering that the symbols were actually constellations, not words to be translated.

So at that point it's just a big, metal ring that starts to shake violently whenever they put in the first 6 symbols....for all they know the 7th symbol, if input incorrectly, could cause the device to explode, taking everyone there with it.

It could have been seen as a real danger, what if the builders of the device had set up a security measure where inputting an incorrect symbol would cause it to explode....there's no way to tell that but when the entire installation starts to shake for symbols 1-6 it would make me more than a bit cautious lol.

So I always thought that they didn't have any idea of what it actually did. It could have been a generator, a communication device, a mind-control thing, anything really.

Even if they had an idea that it was designed for transportation did they have any idea where it would end up? For all they knew it would plop them down in the middle of Egypt where another device was buried. Would they even know that it would take them to another planet? The device looks pretty high-speed and science-fictiony but there's no way to tell just where it would take you by just looking at it.

I'm sure it's possible that I missed some dialogue here, but I really can't think of any instance where they specifically mentioned that

1) They knew what it did and

2) they knew where the device would take them

before Daniel showed up and just Macgyver'd the solution in two weeks.

My telescope, dreaming about space travel

Well, what old but loveable sci-fi movie ISN'T full of plot holes? That's half the fun of sci-fi, IMHO.

Chief Master Sergeant LeftHandedGuitarist's Avatar

I think the fact that they had a big galaxy map in the control room with a movable targeting reticule speaks quite clearly that they knew the ring was a transportation device.

Chief Master Sergeant juggernaut975's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
    I think the fact that they had a big galaxy map in the control room with a movable targeting reticule speaks quite clearly that they knew the ring was a transportation device.
    Did they have that before Jackson made his discovery?

Iirc, they were in the briefing room, Jackson had his maps, he explained that they were constellations.....

And then they cut to them rushing towards the control room. Monitors are up, flux capacitors are...fluxing and mega thrusters are go....

But we're assuming that they went immediately from that briefing room to fire up the gate. They could have easily snagged that equipment after they realized that the gate was a link to another galaxy.

Yeah, there are ways to look at it to clean up the plot hole, but it would have been nice if SG1 somehow addressed this particular hole. O’ well

The whole sequence is rushed…. I think the producers just wanted to have Catharine say: “Jackson has found the seventh symbol” as quick as possible.

There was also the same issue with the team on Abydos... they had six, but didn’t have the 7th. However, I believe they answer why they didn’t just try random symbols….I think it was something to do with not knowing what was on the other side.
    How about this? They didn't try it to make the movie long enough and to make them explore, know about Ra, Skaara, Kasuf and for Daniel to meet shau'ri.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
    You forgot that this place was used to fire up rockets into space in the 60s, so of course they had a map. They just had to connect the tracking device to the stargate.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast