Farscape character names a homage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farscape character names a homage?

This is a discussion I was having a while ago with a couple of people in one of the Game of Thrones thread. However as none of them were 'Scapers and I can't see a thread related to this anywhere on this board, I thought I'd mention it here.

I believe that some of the Farscape character names are inspired by / a homage to George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series of fantasy novels. Here are the names that come to my mind;

Stark - Stark; the name of one of the main families / noble houses. Lord Stark is a key char in the 1st book.
    Ka D'Argo - Khal Drogo; a mighty warrior from a warlike people perceived externally as savages .
    Jothee - Joffrey; the royal prince, a treacherous and untrustworthy youth.
    Zotoh Zhaan - Xaro Xhoan Daxos; bear in mind that an "X" at the start of a word would commonly be pronounced as a "Z".

Also perhaps, albeit a bit more tenuously;

Aeryn - Daenerys; a beautiful youngster taken away from the life she knows who must adapt quickly.

I suppose it could just be coincidence, I must admit I haven't found any confirmation or discussion around this anywhere else. Still some of the similarities are striking with even a possible correspondence between the actual characters themselves.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy? Has anyone heard about this before or seen any enlightening interviews or comments on this topic?
    "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

I haven't heard any relation between the two before. The only one that really makes sense would be D'argo/Drogo. The Stark in Farscape and the family in GoT really are nothing alike. Jothee and Joffrey could sort of work, but Joffrey is much more treacherous. The others I really don't see it.

It is possible they were fans and just got ideas for name from the books.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
      I haven't heard any relation between the two before. The only one that really makes sense would be D'argo/Drogo. The Stark in Farscape and the family in GoT really are nothing alike. Jothee and Joffrey could sort of work, but Joffrey is much more treacherous. The others I really don't see it.

It is possible they were fans and just got ideas for name from the books.
      Yeah I think it's just a naming homage, the only strong character similarity I see is with D'argo / Drogo. You can find some with the others but they are rather tenuous at best.
      "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Could be possible, but I think it's coincidence. First novel was published in 1996. Granted Farscape didn't go into actual production until a couple of years later, but the idea for the series had been around since the early '90s. Though don't know when they settled on character names.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Some of these names seem too similar for coincidence to me - but I freely admit I could be wrong. You're right that Farscape (or Space Chase as it was then) existed in concept at least since the early 90's. Also GRRM (George Martin - author of ASOIAF) apparently began to work on A Song of Ice and Fire in 1991.

What's even more intriguing is that the homage could be based on pre-production scripts / notes / associations in which case it could go either way - possibly GRRM paying homage to Rockne S O'Bannon.

The reason I suggest this is that, in my efforts to find something, somewhere on tha interwebz linking the 2, the closest I've come is to discover that both these guys worked on The Twilight Zone in the 80's. It also appears that they may have worked together on several episodes (6 of the 7 GRRM was involved with);

The Last Defender of Camelot (1986) — GRRM, writer (teleplay) / O'Bannon, story editor
          The Once and Future King (1986) — GRRM, writer (teleplay), story editor / O'Bannon, story consultant
          A Saucer of Loneliness (1986) — GRRM, story editor / O'Bannon, story consultant
          The World Next Door (1986) — GRRM, story editor / O'Bannon, story consultant
          The Toys of Caliban (1986) — GRRM, writer (teleplay), / O'Bannon, story consultant
          The Road Less Travelled (1986) — GRRM, writer (story and teleplay), story editor / O'Bannon, story consultant

The plot thickens! Possibly..

Comment

Well now that's interesting. I just did a quick search to see when the books first came out.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Cool idea and not out of the question certainly. It would be a cool question to ask if we ever get the chance.
              sigpic

Comment

Well, Game of Thrones predated Farscape (I thought) but I had exactly the same thought:

Jon Arryn/John and Aeryn
                Khal Drogo/Ka Dargo--also both big, warrior types without much use for talking
                Stark
                Danerys/Aeryn/Aeron (Targareyn)--It seems like most of the Targareyn names have that Aeryn slant.
                Arya/Aeryn, not forgetting that Arya is quite the warrior.

Seems like an homage of some sort because that seems like a lot of coincidence.

Comment

Namtar-Ratman from the famous Batman.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                  X