Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEK View Post
    Indeed. Better than not winning it though
    That is true.. But part of me (the one which would love to spite the Syfy channel) would rather they had not.. so as to deny them any more 'awards'...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
      Although this is discussed extensively in other threads, it makes you wonder whether the studio couldn't self-finance the show, which might make its sale to (e.g.) SyFy more financially acceptable to the latter. With MGM keeping enough rights to sell it overseas as well to make their money back.
      These shows are expensive to make, and MGM thought that they could make a good profit without having to spend as much money as the SG shows were causing. Sure it sucks, but that's how business is. Why would I spend ten dollars to probably make back as much as 15 dollars, when, with a bit of a imagination, and the proper story, I could spend 4 dollars and make potentially 12?

Comment

Seriously ..
        Last edited by Zaany; 17 September 2011, 01:42 PM.
        RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
          Although this is discussed extensively in other threads, it makes you wonder whether the studio couldn't self-finance the show, which might make its sale to (e.g.) SyFy more financially acceptable to the latter. With MGM keeping enough rights to sell it overseas as well to make their money back.
          (Disclaimer: speculation) On one side, MGM were haemorrhaging money, so SyFy's (formally, and in more than one way) half-financing the show was an important component, when all the while Comcast owned some of both until it only owned some of SyFy after MGM emerged from bankruptcy.
          • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
          • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
          • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Very well deserved !!

Comment

Hang on. There were other science fiction shows besides Stargate Universe? WHAAAAAAAAT?
              sigpic
              Originally posted by dacooker
              The ships named Destiny for a reason....three years my friend, three years....

Comment

Originally posted by morrismike View Post
                The franchise is dead but TPTW got their critical aclaim.
                Better to kill the franchise taking a chance and doing something truly ground breaking than keep the franchise alive doing the same tired formula over and over again.

I wonder if we will ever see a space based science fiction show that even comes close to the quality of SGU. It was the true evolution of the genre but now I'm sure the execs will be scared off from telling good story over mindless action. My dream is that someday AMC will do a space based show, something like SGU would have a good home there where they strive for quality writing above all else.
                I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Originally posted by Skiznot View Post
                  Better to kill the franchise taking a chance and doing something truly ground breaking than keep the franchise alive doing the same tired formula over and over again.
                  Yeah..............

I wonder if we will ever see a space based science fiction show that even comes close to the quality of SGU.
                  We have, and better.

It was the true evolution of the genre but now I'm sure the execs will be scared off from telling good story over mindless action.
                  Of course, no one has EVER made character based scifi drama before, DS9 is a dream, Bab5 was an illusion..........

My dream is that someday AMC will do a space based show, something like SGU would have a good home there where they strive for quality writing above all else.
                  "Quality Writing"
                  These are the same guys who failed in developing the drama of Sg-1 and SGA............
                  Yeah............
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

LOL “Gatefan1976”- you’re so juvenile; please tell us what great new space based Syfy show has been produced since SGU?

DS9 was crap and I never wasted my time with Bab5, because of shows like DS9. If these are examples of what YOU think is great Syfy, its small wonder we clash over SGU.I guess there is just no accounting for taste.

See, old farts like me have gotten to the point of not wasting our time with such TV unless it as SOME or even ANY redeeming values. We won’t accept mediocrity in TV anymore [let alone movies].

With any luck in time you will also get to see and lament on how shallow and worthless these shows are.
                    SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
                      LOL “Gatefan1976”- you’re so juvenile; please tell us what great new space based Syfy show has been produced since SGU?
                      Who said "Syfy"
                      I didn't, Skiznot didn't, the thread has nothing to do with "Syfy"
                      If I'm juvenile, you need glasses
                      There have been no real Space based shows since SGU ended, this is true. At least, not on TV.

DS9 was crap and I never wasted my time with Bab5, because of shows like DS9.
                      but it gets so much better in the second season...........
                      If these are examples of what YOU think is great Syfy, its small wonder we clash over SGU.I guess there is just no accounting for taste.
                      You are right, there is no accounting for taste, we like what we like.

See, old farts like me have gotten to the point of not wasting our time with such TV unless it as SOME or even ANY redeeming values. We won’t accept mediocrity in TV anymore [let alone movies].
                      Too busy waving your stick and telling people to get off your lawn I guess.

With any luck in time you will also get to see and lament on how shallow and worthless these shows are.
                      ROFLMAO!!
                      I enjoy scifi because it interests me and I watch all kinds of scifi, good and bad. It allows me to make an informed opinion rather than just "it's crap" and "it's the bestest ever"

Now, lets not derail any further, shall we?
                      sigpic

Comment

Tip: “Gatefan1976”- stop taking people’s communications apart and commenting on each part. Instead deal with the entirety of it...that’s why it’s called communication and not just words on a page. Otherwise you risk taking things ‘out of context’ which is first step towards 'poor analysis'.

Every one is a product of their environment and watching TV without minimum standards you reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator = mediocrity. Ergo you are -by your own admission- peddling mediocrity.

I don't have time for poor TV and I don’t have to apologise for that. TV is either good entertainment/information or nothing.

The only way we are ever going to get quality TV or anything else, is to demand it. TV is a business and as such they will do the absolute minimum to satisfy their customers. If the customers don’t complain, they will do nothing about that. In time even you may understand this.

As far as derailing goes, I just reacted because you where derailing the previous poster....giving you a taste of your own medicine.
                        SGU. Best Sci-fi show to come along in decades.

Comment

I will agree that we get the TV we demand. Therefore the TV we have is the TV the general public demands. It makes no business sense that the entertainment industry to produce TV and movies we do not want. But here is the flaw in your arguement. How do we define medicroity? How do we define what "standards" What makes what you want in television superior to what the people who are satisfied in their TV shows? Quality is dependent on a person's own opinion. Gatefan hates Show A but I love it making it quality entertainment to me. I
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by psl1 View Post
                            Tip: “Gatefan1976”- stop taking people’s communications apart and commenting on each part. Instead deal with the entirety of it...that’s why it’s called communication and not just words on a page. Otherwise you risk taking things ‘out of context’ which is first step towards 'poor analysis'.

Every one is a product of their environment and watching TV without minimum standards you reduce yourself to the lowest common denominator = mediocrity. Ergo you are -by your own admission- peddling mediocrity.

I don't have time for poor TV and I don’t have to apologise for that. TV is either good entertainment/information or nothing.

The only way we are ever going to get quality TV or anything else, is to demand it. TV is a business and as such they will do the absolute minimum to satisfy their customers. If the customers don’t complain, they will do nothing about that. In time even you may understand this.

As far as derailing goes, I just reacted because you where derailing the previous poster....giving you a taste of your own medicine.
                            So, you would prefer I make some kind of meandering, pointless post?
                            Gotcha
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X