Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Awakening" nominated for Emmy ( Special visual effects )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate has always been outstanding in the Visual effects field:
    SG1 recieved 8 VFX (and one score) nods for Children of the Gods (pilot), nemesis, exodus and small victories, revelations & enemies, lost city part 2, and reckoning part 2; but it never won. SGA recieved two VFX nods (and two music nods) for Rising (pilot) and adrift. Also didn't win. The only major (my idea of major may not be yours... ) award won by any stargate was the People's Choice award in 2008 won by SGA. After two nods last year and not winning, maybe sgu will break the Emmy losing streak, but somehow I doubt it...the dragons in GoT are great!!!
    All of the above statments are merely my own opinion unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I do hope it wins.. even if it is now meaningless to the show (its cancelled)...

Comment

Originally posted by Snookie16 View Post
        ...the dragons in GoT are great!!!
        Sure, but 3-4 seconds of a screaming dragon compare to the Ursini + the seed ship we saw in Awakening?
        But Emmy voters love HBO, so I too doubt SGU can win.

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
        Well Thrones had the Dragons, the Three eyed Crow, the Wall, the various Castles, the Twins, and tons of panoramic shots. Like Boardwalk Empire, much of its very difficult to tell if it's CGI, as it's often used to flesh out existing sets. -----

As it is though, while SGU deserved a nomination, I don't think it should win. To me it's a tossup between Thrones and Boardwalk.
        But the CGI in GoT and BE feels more static, as you say, it's used to flesh out existing sets, too me, the CGI in SGU is fare more difficult too pull off.

Comment

i'm just consistently amazed by the eyes on the ursini. they just look... so... REAL.

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Atlantus View Post
            But the CGI in GoT and BE feels more static, as you say, it's used to flesh out existing sets, too me, the CGI in SGU is fare more difficult too pull off.
            Well firstly a lot of the cgi in Game of Thrones was for very "active" existing sets, like the camps of various armies, with lots of people moving around, so it was less static than Boardwalk Empire. However it is true that most of the seasons CGI was scenery, the thing is the emmy nom is for the last episode, the one episode which has dragons, movie quality dragons at that, something that's also very hard to pull off. Let's not forget SG1's attmept at a Dragon, it did not look good. However having rewatched Awakening, I'd have to say SGU is actually just as good. The Ursini are fantastic, and honestly I can't choose between the two shows.

Honestly if I was a voter I'd really have trouble choosing between this
            http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/06/article-0-0B0F39D2000005DC-554_634x341.jpg
            this
            http://www.howigit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Game-Dragon.jpg
            or this

Comment

Boardwalk Empire won. I can understand why, because if you didn't know any better, you might not even realise they used any. It's a shame amazing work like this didn't get recognition though.

Comment

Isn't that a HBO show???

Comment

Yep.

Comment

If only HBO aired SGU right from its inception. I would have loved to see more of the Ursini.
                    • I'm a fan of this awesome Trek webcomic: betafleet.tumblr.com (archived)
                    • Eesti on ilus, ja troppide parteide poliitikud pole enam Raudse Leedi valitsuses.
                    • I chose the Gate avatar, because it was difficult to choose between SGU character pictures of someone who I thought I was like, and someone who I was fond of. :>

Comment

Working...
                    X