"Inside Game of Thrones" - Making of Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But.. but... I want the people I like to win and the nasty people to die

Seriously though you're right, the realism of the world is a big part of what makes these stories so compelling. It just gets a bit too bleak for me at times but that's probably my own fault. Where most people seem to see realistic 'shades of grey' characters following their own motivations I see dishonourable, evil scum whose only purpose is to be killed by each other or, preferably, the Starks

I'm a bit happier with things at the moment though.. (major book 3 spoilers ahead)

Spoiler:
    Jaime got a nice, nasty punishment for his misdeeds and we start to see him in a more sympathetic light. Well, now Robb is dead (saw that coming) and Stark Mommy - didn't see that coming at all

I must confess when he tries to pretend that Arya is dead, "the axe took her in the back of the head", I almost gave up at that point and was going to put the novels on the back burner for a few weeks. Just too much invested in this character from Mr. Martin and me. Then I remembered he doesn't flinch from confirming deaths or from pretending people are toast when they really aren't.

Reread that bit & refused to believe it and kept going for several chapters.. finally in desperation flicked back to the chapter headings to see I have an Arya chapter coming up shortly In the meantime... other Starks are in less perilous positions or at least progressing and what's really cheered me up about things in Westeros - ding dong the Joff is dead
    "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
      But.. but... I want the people I like to win and the nasty people to die

Seriously though you're right, the realism of the world is a big part of what makes these stories so compelling. It just gets a bit too bleak for me at times but that's probably my own fault. Where most people seem to see realistic 'shades of grey' characters following their own motivations I see dishonourable, evil scum whose only purpose is to be killed by each other or, preferably, the Starks

I'm a bit happier with things at the moment though.. (major book 3 spoilers ahead)

Spoiler:
      Jaime got a nice, nasty punishment for his misdeeds and we start to see him in a more sympathetic light. Well, now Robb is dead (saw that coming) and Stark Mommy - didn't see that coming at all

I must confess when he tries to pretend that Arya is dead, "the axe took her in the back of the head", I almost gave up at that point and was going to put the novels on the back burner for a few weeks. Just too much invested in this character from Mr. Martin and me. Then I remembered he doesn't flinch from confirming deaths or from pretending people are toast when they really aren't.

Reread that bit & refused to believe it and kept going for several chapters.. finally in desperation flicked back to the chapter headings to see I have an Arya chapter coming up shortly In the meantime... other Starks are in less perilous positions or at least progressing and what's really cheered me up about things in Westeros - ding dong the Joff is dead
      Yeah, when you stick with the story, there'll be some moments that do make you smile.

Spoiler:
      And the death of that little monster Joffrey is definitely one of those moments.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X