This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate glitch?

hey guys I remember the day my dad first let me watch stargate (the movie) with him and I remember them saying when they first open the wormhole to abados something about the probe (malp) was in Andromeda galaxy? now correct me if I'm wrong ONLY a 8 digit gate address can go to another galaxy right so have I got something? oh and if there is another thread about this then link me up please, thanks.

-last browncoat

p.s. what is this tag thing?
    Tags:

Separate tags using a comma. You may add 5 tag(s) to this thread.

thanks

Originally posted by lastbrowncoat View Post
    hey guys I remember the day my dad first let me watch stargate (the movie) with him and I remember them saying when they first open the wormhole to abados something about the probe (malp) was in Andromeda galaxy? now correct me if I'm wrong ONLY a 8 digit gate address can go to another galaxy right so have I got something? oh and if there is another thread about this then link me up please, thanks.

-last browncoat

Tags:

thanks
    The tags are just words to help keyword searches on the forum, totally optional.

The movie and SG-1 differ on a variety of things, especially this. If I remember correctly, not only does it say that it's leaving the galaxy but I think it actually said that the probe went to the other side of the known universe. SG-1 corrects this and actually says that Abydoss is actually in extremely close proximity to Earth.

Now Destiny on the other hand..

Comment

Originally posted by lastbrowncoat View Post

-last browncoat
      In order to make Stargate work as a television series, several important aspects of the Stargate from movie had to be changed. Rather than Abydos being on the far side of the known universe (Kaliem galaxy), it was moved to our galaxy, one of, if not the closest stargates to Earth. Several other things were changed, such as all the Stargates uses the constellations seem from Earth rather than their own skies (so this means each episode doesn't turn into a search for symbols to return home).

The concept of dialing other galaxies was eventually reintroduced (as you pointed out with the 8 symbols) but the series tried to ground everything into reality (as much as you can for a scifi tv show involving an alien device allowing near instant travel to other worlds through an artificial wormhole) so a lot of changes make sense, some not so much. It really depends how much of the series you've seen, as some are easy to spot but others are easily looked over.

Tags:

thanks
      Tags make it easier for people (and google) to find what they are looking for. It basically allows people to find similar threads easily.

sigpic

Comment

also the stargate was different. was more ugly and clearly made of plastic.
        plus the back of the event horizon did a twister as if it where a blender but without a plastic container.
        and all the stargate chevrons open up and light up while the center one looked as a broken chevron and was creepy.

Comment

Originally posted by SILLYFAN View Post
          plus the back of the event horizon did a twister as if it where a blender but without a plastic container.
          and all the stargate chevrons open up and light up while the center one looked as a broken chevron and was creepy.
          What episode are you talking about?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
          Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
          sigpic
          now also appearing on DeviantArt
          Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SILLYFAN View Post
            They never lit up in the movie.

The series follows the movie, but some changes are made to make the story TV friendly. Just dismiss any differences as that.

Comment

i am talking of the movie. stargate (1994)
              shots from the movie stargate and center bad chevron:
              Sin t
              Sin t
              and here the version from the tv show:
              Sin t
              Last edited by SILLYFAN; 22 July 2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I prefer the film version, it was more mysterious. However, I like that the chevrons glow in the series.

Comment

The funny thing is that in the DVD menu's for the re-releases of the movie, the gate has lit-up red chevrons.

Comment

Does the re-release contain both cuts of the movie?

Comment

just the DVD menu or the movie has been modified and the chevrons on the re-release lit-up also???

Comment

The DVD menu may be inaccurate due to SG-1, but the film itself was not altered. In the movie, the chevrons do not light up. Rather, each one opens and closes to lock in the glyph.

Comment

witch was creepy and stupid.
                          the main lock that must be warned off its the center one. since when the last chevron its locked, the unstable wormhole comes out and may kill anyone standing in front. in sg1 its correct so the people run away from the center. in the movie version if you don't know how the gate works you are dead or at least mutilated.

Comment

It may be creepy, but it's not stupid. You do realize the movie came years before the series? Stargate was written by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, directed by Ronald Emmerich. The movie ends with The End, but after MGM moved forward with SG-1, Emmerich and Devlin started talking about how they had plans for two Stargate sequels that they now could not move forward with. Personally, I think they are simply jealous that someone else got to capitalize on the success of their movie.

Stargate premiered on October 28th, 1994. Stargate SG-1 didn't premiere until July 27th, 1997.

Though you may like SG-1's portrayal of the stargate over the film (as do most people), the movie didn't get anything wrong - it came first.

Comment

it had several technical difficulties.
                              - the main chevron did not warn the wormhole activation. in fact, it did not do anything.
                              - dial to another galaxy with low power and different glyphs on every Stargate.
                              - the twister on the back of the Stargate was mess up. it looked like the twister created on the sg1 in "a matter of time" by the huge gravity send by the black hole trough the wormhole and that was a critical error from the Stargate.

Comment

Working...
                              X