• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immortal Sins (407)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    IMMORTAL SINS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 407

With the camps brought to a temporary halt, Gwen kidnaps Jack in the hopes of rescuing her family. Jack recalls a past love affair with a man who he enlisted as his "companion" -- leading to a revelation about the origins of the Miracle.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 25 August 2011, 12:52 PM.

Now we're getting some traction. That's some determination. The man got one name, one piece of information, and managed to engineer a global conspiracy within his own lifetime to render the planet immortal. Also, Colonel Kira works for him, so that's good too.

Comment

I found episode 7 slow, but it also provided some much needed exposition. I also appreciate that the villain (at least one of them) has motivation other than "let's destory the world."

I also appreciated honesty out of Gwen for the first time in four years.
      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

I agree, it was slow. LIke 40 minutes were spend to build up to the last 10.

and yeah, we have motive, scorned lover and we have almost a century's of revenge coming to play
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I frankly have to skip all the Gay stuff and I do Thank God for DVR but it does add anm interesting backdrop even the Doctor is mentioned so I have to wonder if he will be making a Cameo appearance.
          The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

i think we'd have heard had the doctor been cast.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Ugh, sloppy writing. Both season-wide and individual to this episode. The story of the scorned lover in the 20s should have been told right near the beginning of the season, or else gradually in bits throughout each episode up till now. The way it's been handled now, I feel like I've been jerked around for six episodes guessing at something that couldn't possibly have been known till episode 7. Lame. Extremely lame.

And the writing in this episode itself was pretty frickin' lousy too. Paper-thin explanation for Jack's being in America, Jack being a supposedly covert TW agent who apparently springs thieving illegal immigrants because they make his pants twitch, flat and poorly told relationship between Jack and Angelo, wasted opportunity to do a bit of period-piece storytelling, pretty much zero reason for Jack to bring Angelo in on TW, mostly lifeless dialogue between Jack and Gwen in the car the whole episode long, and really--Gwen needing to borrow Jack was suddenly suspicious to Esther, and she randomly decides to check the contact lenses? Wtf?

Who wrote this garbage?
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                Who wrote this garbage?
                Jane Espenson.
                sigpic

Comment

Oh. Well that explains everything.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Sound like a pretty crap explanation to the immortality plot line. a scorn lover, surely the writers of TW could have come up with something more original than that.

An personally anything that can undo something a being as powerful as a person absorbing the time vortex needs something pretty powerful technology. So it would make sense that the doctor would show up and deal with it, sooner or later., now that it been use and the earth has experience the change it needed to, him interfering now should not break any rules. because undoing what ever rose did would surely involve manipulating the time vortex itself.

Also why would a lover go through all this trouble and then order his death on the plane. I presuming someone would only make himself immortal if he could live that immortality with his lover after all.

I have not seen the episode yet so may be they explain all of that in the episode.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 21 August 2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

I liked getting glimpses into Jack's past...
                      sigpic

Comment

What is it about poor guys called Jack being brutally killed, coming back to life and killed over and over again?!!!

This episode did go round the houses a bit with revealing who was behind the whole miracle day thing, it was pretty obvious to me pretty quickly that it was Angelo. Still, it was interesting to get a bit of information on Jack's past.

Comment

Oh, so many franchises!

Immortality!

Spoiler:
                          I had problems with all the agony...killing Jack over and over again.

When Jack and Angelo open the box and...

Spoiler:
                          ...and the parasite was there, my hubby said, "Oh look a goa'uld.

I'm still enjoying it. I have no idea how this will be resolved.

I enjoyed this review.
                          Last edited by mathpiglet; 21 August 2011, 11:23 AM.
                          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            When Jack and Angelo open the box and...

Spoiler:
                            ...and the parasite was there, my hubby said, "Oh look a goa'uld.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                              I'm still enjoying it. I have no idea how this will be resolved.
                              Really? Seems pretty obvious to me now. Jilted ex-lover has now found a way to reverse the situation for Jack so he knows what it feels like to be the scorned one for something beyond his control. Jack very sadly finds a way to kill the old man ex-lover and things to back to normal.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like this will be the ludicrous solution, after seeing this absurdly awful episode.

Comment

Working...
                              X