• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Middle Men (406)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    THE MIDDLE MEN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 406

Jack plans to confront the head of PhiCorp about his company's involvement in Miracle Day. Esther tries to find out what happened to Dr. Juarez, and Rex attempts to escape the compound with evidence of the atrocities being committed inside.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 18 August 2011, 01:26 PM.

Car Park?

so while a brit may have written the script, no one verified the brit english to american english translation?
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

wow, rex is stupid

sigpic

Comment

It's not like Rex had a lot of options once he was tied up, but taking a military disguise wasn't the best idea.

On a more positive note: go Esther and Gwen!

Comment

I enjoyed the episode. I want to see good storytelling in any show I watch, and this episode delivered.

I'm glad that Miracle Day in generally seems to be returning Jack to the character I enjoyed from Who before he died in nearly every episode of Season 2 and became more of a dictator than a solid leader as well.

I agree that some of Rex's choices weren't great, but I can see why he made them. I was more upset with Vera being unable to read the threats to her life long before
          Spoiler:
          she was shot

I loved the ending with Gwen and the lenses and thought the episode was well-paced. With Children of Earth, I thought it started well and becamse ridiculous halfway through episode 4. For Miracle Day, I see the reveal being paced better, drama and characters being used better, and a more watchable show resulting.

I appreciate this "new" Torchwood that finally captures the glimmers of quality I had seen only fleetingly from the show in its first three seasons.
          "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Not my favourite episode. Good, don't get me wrong. But distinctly average, unfortunatly, unlike last weeks, the ending didn't blow me away. I saw it as kind of predictable from the moment Rhys went driving off with Gwen's dad alone...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i figured the second she couldn't get ahold of him something was wrong...i mean seriously....she's going by her real name, you honestly think these folks will keep families out of it?????

gwen knew better

this did kinda feel like closure for last week's + setup for next week's

i did see idiotic bureaucrat not dying the first time...not only is it a cliche, but she didn't strangle him long enough for brain damage, that takes 4 minutes minimum, he was just stunned

sigpic

Comment

There's far too much of the 'going by your real name' at the moment, actually...

Rhyss was a twerp for saying that a Cpt Jack Harkness was his authorising officer, as you said, Gwen has been using her name, and indeed, as has Esther. Not exactly covert is it?

Yet ironically, Rex is at the opposite end of the stupid spectrum atm. He decided to pose as a soldier, fine, not an issue, but evidentally didn't check the name on the uniform or create a decent alias for himself. He just 'wants a smoke'. Yeesh.

On a few other 'whiney notes', how on earth were the military ten tonners being used for patient transport? They're hard enough to get into for one physically able person whilst carrying something, let alone hauling casualties into... no wonder they didn't ACTUALLY show us how they got Gwen's dad in...

It was great to see Ernie Hudson, though... as a massive Ghostbusters fan, I was really excited to see him in it, unfortunatly, I have this feeling it may be the last we see of him, I think he had a lot of potential...

Btw - anyone else want to see Jack hitting on a girl for a change? Not that I have a problem with him hittin on guys, I really don't, but he is OMNI-sexual, not homosexual, it'd be nice for the 'new' viewers to be reminded of that I think... there was a perfect opportunity for that in the bar...

Btw, as for last week's concerns about the idiotic solder who lost his sidearm, I think this episode made it clear that he wasn't, in fact, regular Army, but was most likely National Guard or akin. Probably a brand new, inexperienced recruit, and when Miracle Day happened, all resources with even a sniff of military training were fully activated. Did any one catch his supposed rank? Not that it would mean much... I've noticed that TPTB are crap at understanding military ranks properly... The Lieutenant in the Wales Overflow camp who gave Sgt Andy a good chewing out (unless he commissioned from the ranks) was likely far too old to be an Lt, and should more likely have been a Major. Furthermore, if he was ultimately in charge, I would have imagined he'd have been at least a Captain... anyway... side issue.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Another enjoyable episode. Looking forward to the rest of the season.
                  sigpic

Comment

This episode started out really, really interesting with the China thing, and then they didn't bring it up again

The set up with Jack convincing that girl to help him in the bar was awesome, and then all he did was use her as a fake phone hostage and while he tipped off the guys wife to the affair, the guy spilled his guts with almost no protest...that could have been a much more "Capt Jack" scene that it was.

How many episodes was Gwen in that camp...it was getting boring, but at least it ended with a boom!

Rex\Ester storyline was interesting, if a little clumsy at times (mainly on his part) as she isn't a trained field agent.

The ending was kinda cool, how did they hack her contacts? Anyone thing "The Gift" might be Jack's immortality? Who knows...

I'm really anxious to see what it all is, the next 2 episodes should reveal the motives and maybe identities of the bad guys leaving the last 2 episodes to solve the problem!
                    sigpic

Comment

For me it's time that they reveal a bit more, it's really starting to feel like 'We had a story for 8 eps, but we have to make 10 out of it!'
                      sigpic

Comment

1. Captain Jack is stepping up his game.

2. Finally, Rex IDing himself as Torchwood.

3. Ballsy stuff from Rhys, big score from Gwen!

4. Mr Maloney wasn't evil, he was just a mess.

5. OK, who the frack wants to get at Jack.
                        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Point of note - the GW synopsis says that Ernie Hudson's character was the head of PhiCorp. I took it that he was simply senior management, and not 'THE' head... would this not be correct?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

He's the COO, as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                              Point of note - the GW synopsis says that Ernie Hudson's character was the head of PhiCorp. I took it that he was simply senior management, and not 'THE' head... would this not be correct?
                              He was COO (Chief Operations Officer) which in most large companies would fall behind the President, CEO, CFO and possibly certain members of the Board, but depending on how the corporate structure is set up. Sometimes President, CEO and Chairmen of the Board are the same person so he could be anywhere from 3rd to 5th in command.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X