• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Categories of Life (405)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    THE CATEGORIES OF LIFE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 405

Gwen returns home to track down her father, while Dr. Juarez joins Torchwood's fight after the government announces a plan to categorize the dead and relocate them to mandatory camps. Rex uses his injury to infiltrate one of the camps, and Oswald Danes attends a "Miracle Rally."

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 30 September 2011, 02:49 PM.

wow

well i had a really bad feeling how things were going to work out. Figured it couldn't be simple warehousing of bodies.

still, who's behind it? and why? misguided population control? a brutal way to 'fix' the miracle? or some other horrible purpose?

they're not harvesting the bodies in any way, they're jut getting rid of the 'dead' (and seemingly being too generous in putting people in cat 3.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wow, indeed. Did not see that coming.

Category 1 doesn't serve any purpose if they don't need diseases. If you don't need them but need the room, disposal is the obvious choice. So, if they don't need 1s and 3s are everyday people, then 2s must serve a purpose. Hosts, maybe?

Comment

Average episode, with a phenomenal ending. I mean, seriously, that was chilling. Absolutely chilling.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
          Average episode, with a phenomenal ending. I mean, seriously, that was chilling. Absolutely chilling.
          My thoughts exactly. Poor Vera
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wow...I couldn't believe how this one ended. When I saw Vera get shot...I was like OMG...she's gonna be a level 1...and sure enough she was. I had no earthly idea that those chambers were furnaces. I wonder how they pulled off getting the whole world to agree to this method? I don't know what kind of civil rights laws other countries may have, but what about the US citizens civil rights? In the preview for next week, it looks like Gwen is back with a vengeance!
            sigpic

Comment

I don't nkow if the governments actually know what's going on in there. All they care about is that Phicorp is taking care of the 'should be dead' and they don't have to. By the time they find out, they'll never admit to knowing or want it known. they'll just cook up the story that, once the miracle was over, all these people died as they were meant to but due to contamination teh bodies can't be released.

it's like, in their pursuit of jack, there are billions of collateral damage, and instead of letting hte overload destroy Earth, they're getting rid of them (burning them to ash i guess, surely that won't reanimate...although i recall Jack reanimating from some state close to that)

so it seems, in my interpretation anyway, the 'miracle' is some sort of attack on Jack with billions of people caught up in the fight. And the camps as a way to control that (they do have a point, diseases that never die with the patient? infections that rage beyond antibiotics ever killing them, people condemned to live forever with grievous injuries, it's horror)

sigpic

Comment

wow...my first word after the end.

When they are after Jack, maybe they are after the reason why he can't die? Yes, I know, it has to do with the TARDIS, but do they know that?

And still we don't know who are they.

I loved the scene with Gwen and her daughter: 'So much pink, so cute!'
                Last edited by Cairistiona; 06 August 2011, 01:41 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

didn't jack get unstuck in time or something like that???

sigpic

Comment

More accurately, he's "fixed". From now till the end of time (barring the Face of Boe), he'll exist.

Comment

That soldier is stupid, what kind of soldier allows an unstable man to get his gun and shoot someone not once but twice! Just goes to show that there is only one Ronald Greer.

Comment

Obviously not a very good one. He seemed to be under the impression that he'd get blamed along with Carl.

Comment

he seemed less a soldier and more a 'civilian given a uniform and gun with no idea what to do with either'

no soldier that'd gone through basic would have allowed the dude to keep the weapon

sigpic

Comment

Wow, for me too! One of the most shocking moments with the burnings, especially Vera's harrowing suffering when shot, we can't call it death here can we?!!!! This got me in the same way as Riley's death in SGU, hard to watch.

The tension of fear and confusion is played so well in this show. Even governments and people in the supposed front line at the camps not knowing the whole extent of what the catergorisation of people really means. Out of sight out of mind is the easy way out as always!!! Phicore offered a practical solution, what a relief! It just all makes me shudder how easily everyone is accepting this.

I think that soldier was plain scared, taken up in the horror of it all and lost all rational thought. The head administrator of the US "concentration camp," to quote Gwen, struck me as having gone insane by shutting out the horror as he couldn't really do anything about it. Besides, life is cheap now there is no death, and how quickly the noble concept of the sanctity of life slides into oblivion when things get ugly and difficult, and people are scared. Chilling stuff indeed!

Comment

This episode went places I wasn't expecting it too. Some deep stuff. I can't wait to see where they end up taking things from here.
                              sigpic
                              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                              "...phu...ah..."
                              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X