• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead of Night (403)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    DEAD OF NIGHT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 403

On the run from the C.I.A. and a clandestine group that has blackballed Torchwood, the team discovers a connection to PhiCorp, a powerful pharmaceutical company that may have known about the Miracle before it happened.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 28 July 2011, 01:04 PM.

Another great episode. I find all five of the main cast to be fully developed three dimensional characters, so yes, Rex annoyed me with his brashness tonight, but I still appreciate his intelligence.

The Doctor is my new favorite, but I am enjoying watching everyone. Bill Pullman is doing a fine job playing a character who makes my skin crawl. Ick!

About the "scene" that has been the focus of too much time on blastr.com: The BBC is being prudish. Adults do adult things, and Torchwood continues to handle all aspects of its narrative well and with taste.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

At least they're catering to both parties, so to speak. Something for everyone, and something to offend everyone. Everyone wins!

Lots of development in this one.

Spoiler:
      Phicorp has a hand in the miracle, Danes is in their pocket and was lying (like that wasn't plain as day), and the mysterious triangle phones in. Should be interesting.

Comment

Enjoyed the episode...I'm looking forward to discovering what phicorp's involvement is...
        sigpic

Comment

finally an interesting one.

Funny to see Capt Jack still livin life to the fullest...in more ways than one
          Real moment when he's calling Gwen who then hangs up on him to talk to Rhys. For those that didn't watch the original either they had a brief affair or thought about it (can't recall but I think they had sex) but then she went back to Rhys (who was just her boyfriend at the time IIRC)

jack, for all the playboy attitude, is honestly very lonely. He's lived for hundreds of years, literally cannot die, and keeps losing people.

that said, for all the angst, it's totally 'normal' for him to go looking for some action in the middle of the whole thing. He's a carpe diem kinda guy.

phicorp is definitely in it to their eyeballs. My money is on
          Spoiler:

someone pulling the strings, perhaps to get rid of Jack, and uses this 'massive money making opportunity' to get supporters. which will bring in the whole alien thing. an alien using human greed to get their way, and knowing that that greed will blind them from the dark future - a planet full of people that cannot die on a planet that cannot support them. food will run out and they will starve to death but never die.
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Goood stuff. New characters fitting in seamlessly. Rex is such a dick, but I can't help but like the guy. Dr Juarez is boss. Oswald is creepy personified but has a natural Bill Pullman charisma... hey, it's 'cause he's played by him! Jilly Kissinger is so great, and dammit all if I just wanna give Esther a big hug.

Also, Jack: "You should've seen the other guy!" Epically hilarious.
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              Goood stuff. New characters fitting in seamlessly. Rex is such a dick, but I can't help but like the guy. Dr Juarez is boss. Oswald is creepy personified but has a natural Bill Pullman charisma... hey, it's 'cause he's played by him! Jilly Kissinger is so great, and dammit all if I just wanna give Esther a big hug.

Also, Jack: "You should've seen the other guy!" Epically hilarious.
              I laughed at that one!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                I laughed at that one!
                Yeah, that one was great! But I liked the 'Bigger on the inside!' also very much

I enjoyed the whole ep, the story is getting more and more gripping. And I'm really curious what's behind it all.
                sigpic

Comment

First half of the episode was a bit slow, though I am intriguied at the drugs/Phicorp/Jilly connection. What does she know?

Alexa Havins (Esther) is really batting it out of the park performance-wise, IMO. Often scenes involving crying are hammy, over the top, or just plain poorly played. But I really bought it when she and Gwen were talking about her sister.

Speaking of Gwen though, man. Eve Myles is just not there IMO--except for the gun craziness in the first episode, it seems to me like she's just been 'phoning it in' every scene she's in =\

I'm really digging the addition of Arlene Tur/Dr Juarez too. Generally speaking she's been really well-developed and a solid addition to the show, even if I found her sudden roll in the hay with Rex to be a little out of left field.

Bull Pullman's been fantastic too. I really buy his strange transformation....bizarre circumstances, bizarre developments. I'm finding his struggle with what it means to still be alive and to now be free really means.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by MasySyma View Post
                    About the "scene" that has been the focus of too much time on blastr.com: The BBC is being prudish. Adults do adult things, and Torchwood continues to handle all aspects of its narrative well and with taste.
                    To be fair BBC One is a Major terrestrial broadcast network whereas Starz is a premium pay channel, they were always going to tone down anything that they thought would be too over the top.

As for the episode itself I thought it was brilliant once again and i'm getting pulled into the mystery of miracle day now.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm half torn between PhiCorp being Dalek and it not, with Jack's history and it mirroring his first season in DW. Or the silent.

Mostly kidding about that.
                      Last edited by jameshawking; 24 July 2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        Funny to see Capt Jack still livin life to the fullest...in more ways than one
                        Real moment when he's calling Gwen who then hangs up on him to talk to Rhys. For those that didn't watch the original either they had a brief affair or thought about it (can't recall but I think they had sex) but then she went back to Rhys (who was just her boyfriend at the time IIRC)
                        She had the affair with Owen. She and Jack just flirt around the issue.

Oswald and his storyline finally got more interesting in this one. Though I still find him completely repulsive. Interesting scene between he and Jack considering what Jack has done in the past.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

thanks

knew it was one of them. just couldn't quite remember which of the boys

Jack will flirt with anyting, which is half the fun
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Actually one of my biggest complaints about Torchwood is that he doesn't flirt with everyone and everything anymore. I liked that about his character in his first few appearances in Doctor Who. But since the character has been spun off to Torchwood, RTD's basically only been writing him as singularly homosexual. That's all well and good for a main character in a sci-fi show, and usually I'd applaud such a thing. But that isn't the character we were introduced to in those first five DW episodes in which he appeared.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              Actually one of my biggest complaints about Torchwood is that he doesn't flirt with everyone and everything anymore. I liked that about his character in his first few appearances in Doctor Who. But since the character has been spun off to Torchwood, RTD's basically only been writing him as singularly homosexual. That's all well and good for a main character in a sci-fi show, and usually I'd applaud such a thing. But that isn't the character we were introduced to in those first five DW episodes in which he appeared.
                              Good point, I remember The Doctor saying something about people from Jack's time being metrosexual and that's why he would flirt with anyone man or woman as long as they were beautiful, I miss that about his character.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X