Renditions (402)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
    It's not any one thing in particular, it just feels (to me) more like an American show than a British one. Perhaps I'm imagining things. Perhaps it's just expectation that it's more American because of the co-production thing and that's colouring my view. There has always been plenty of action in TW and there is still plenty of comedy, but it just feels differently done now. *shrugs* I don't think I'm alone and it doesn't mean I think any less of the show.
    Now that I can understand. Production values, etc have been changed up a bit. Probably even a bit of the filming style. Don't know if these are American directors or UK directors...but I imagine mostly US ones. And you do rather loose a bit of the British feel with it physically changing its shooting locations and loosing its mostly British cast. It's just when people mention it incorporating so-called American action stuff as if the show never incorporated action sequences before makes me go what?

I agree with Matt about the lack of aliens (excluding Jack) changing it up a bit. But I don't necessarily have to have them to make a good sci-fi story. I'm guessing we might get some before this is over though.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    The biggest difference I see, the 'old' torchwood was more episodic with little bits of an overall arc in each episode. This, so far, is totally arc based.

Not bad, not good. Just different. I'm just watching it thinking 'ok, so.....story gonna get going anytime soon? or are we gonna keep setting things up?'
    Well that's kinda the point isn't it? This season is basically a mini series with one running story rather than individual eps. They've got 10 eps so I imagine they are stretching it a bit here in the early set up eps...where as CoE only had 5 episodes.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Cairistiona View Post
      Oh, and after Jack obviously can die, doesn't he count as an alien anymore?
      Did he count as an alien before? If so, I missed it. He was just immortal and from the future (originally), still human...or so I thought.

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
      The biggest difference I see, the 'old' torchwood was more episodic with little bits of an overall arc in each episode. This, so far, is totally arc based.

Not bad, not good. Just different. I'm just watching it thinking 'ok, so.....story gonna get going anytime soon? or are we gonna keep setting things up?'
      Well it's more like Children of Men than Season 1 & 2 in that it's one big story...really a mini series.

I agree with Matt and everyone, while it's still sci-fi it isn't hardcore sci-fi like previous seasons. I actually have friends watching this that would NEVER have watched the previous seasons.
      sigpic

Comment

I think the more 'American' style is what drew my attention to this season.

Even when I lived in the UK, (I was an avid Dr Who fan up to the late 1970's) I was always drawn to American Sci Fi shows more than the home grown ones. (There were exceptions, like 'Sapphire and Steel', 'Survivors (1975 version) and 'Red Dwarf') I must be one of the few who liked the 1996 movie with Paul Mcgann, again for the American production values, but never got into the new Dr Who of 2005 onwards.

Comment

I really enjoyed this second episode. This show is really surprising me, and I might have to check out its previous seasons.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I love that they're keeping the humor, andcwhile it was hard to watch I like that Gwen's family is out of the picture!
            sigpic

Comment

Pretty good ep but we need Jack to be in charge, I'm coming around to Rex as a character but i'm not keen on the dynamic where he is in charge and calling the shots.
              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                Gwen: I thought you americans had big SUV's as get away cars. This is rubbish!

That was HILARIOUS! I am so happy that Torchwood is back on TV and that JACK is BACK!! w00t!! And I love the humor!! lol!

I thought Jack was going to start flirting with Danny the flight attendant. That would have been so Jack and i kinda miss him flirting! lol!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                  Pretty good ep but we need Jack to be in charge, I'm coming around to Rex as a character but i'm not keen on the dynamic where he is in charge and calling the shots.
                  Jack's not really in a position to be in charge, though. I wouldn't worry. With the big escape, Jack will probably take the reins back. It's just that, at the moment, they have to go with Rex's orders.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                    Jack's not really in a position to be in charge, though. I wouldn't worry. With the big escape, Jack will probably take the reins back. It's just that, at the moment, they have to go with Rex's orders.
                    Yeah I get that I just want Jack back in charge where he is meant to be.
                    sigpic

Comment

I kinda liked it, but I dunno something was missing.

Was a few scenes I didn't really care much about or I thought that they could have been shortened and during them I kept thinking "Okay, can we go back to Gwen & Jack now?".

I'm starting to get interested but hope that future episodes focus more on the Torchwood team, how they deal with miracle day, find what's causing it, find a solution etc and less on the murderer becoming famous, the doctor changing how patients are treated etc.
                      Last edited by Tanith0709; 22 July 2011, 09:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

This just hit me recently...they keep saying that Jack and the rest of the world sort of switched places, but that isn't true

Jack had super healing, never aged and was resistant to almost anything. The world today is just un-dieing which is much less cool than Jack was!
                        sigpic

Comment

I wonder...

When everything is put right (as I'm sure it eventually will ) I wonder if Jack will become more like the undying humans, ie, that he can age. It would certainly help explain why Jack looks older every season. And it may explain how Jack eventually becomes the Face of Boe.

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                            This just hit me recently...they keep saying that Jack and the rest of the world sort of switched places, but that isn't true

Jack had super healing, never aged and was resistant to almost anything. The world today is just un-dieing which is much less cool than Jack was!
                            In an earlier Season of Torchwood or maybe Doctor Who Jack mentions getting a few grey hairs so he was ageing just really slowly.
                            sigpic

Comment

1. OK...now we've confirmed that Jack can suffer from poisoning.

2. I presume CIA were behind the helicopter trying to take Gwen out.

3. Esther seems to be one step ahead of things.

4. OK, even I can tell Oswald is faking.

Still meh though
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X