• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Short Time In Paradise (108)

Visit the Episode GuideALPHAS SEASON ONE
    A SHORT TIME IN PARADISE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 108

A dangerous Alpha cult leader bewitches Hicks and Nina. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 17 March 2012, 03:27 PM.

An interesting episode. It wasn't Shakespeare and I had concerns that it would be as much of a stinker as "Seth" (from SG-1 season three), but on the whole it wasn't bad.

A big episode for Rosen. We got to see more of his humanitarian side. The shock on his face when he shot Jonas was riveting. The scene in the epilogue with Harken and Rosen discussing the shooting gave me the impression that it was something which would haunt him for some time... and then they had that throw-away quip where Rosen indicated that it was a lucky shot.

I was disappointed in that line for it suggests to me that Rosen has already pretty much gotten over the fact that he has killed someone. Yes, he shot the antagonist who was going to burn alive everyone in the house, but the guy was mentally disturbed and arguably not responsible for his actions. In my opinion it would be truer to Rosen's character if the writers didn't have him being flippant for another episode or two.

The back story with Rachel and her father/family was a continuation of her ongoing character development. She is gaining more respect and acceptance both as an adult woman, and also for her abilities (her aunt wanting her to look at her mole). It was also interesting to see that Gary finally got through to her what Rosen has been saying for the last several episodes.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

Very good episode this week even it was my least favorite of the year. The preacher was a bit too typical (I watched a lot of crime drama) and underwhelming. Maybe they could have gone to it grand scale since he's an alpha (having him taking over the police and government while only our Alphas team can save everybody). Anyway a lot of great moments in the episode especially for Dr. Rosen. Toward the end the situation was pretty heavy with another Waco in preparation and the deluted Alpha. Funny how just before the episode I read something about dogs being able to detect lung cancer very early in the breath of people before any medical exam can. Although here it was a throat cancer.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I liked this ep. It was truly sad that the Alpha had to die. I blame his Father. That burning must have twisted his psyche enough to damage him completely.
        Rosen having to be the one to shoot him was amzing. He works so hard to save the Alphas from themselves, and yet this one he couldn't save.
        Gary as a date to the party At least he didn't do the finger thing. He was eerily normal, well except for a few stray statements. But I know non autistic people who have a bit of a problem with that issue, so he seemed more normal than one would think
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

Second episode for me to watch, yeah fun not knowing about the other six episodes. Anyway, I like Gary and he had some mighty fine advice for Rachel. I saw Cameron and Nina going at it the moment the pilot ended, who else would have the romantic storyline on this show?

If only the preacher had listened to Dr. Rosen's suggestion of spreading his message without his little alpha ability. But he seemed to confused and desperate. He also seemed to lack total faith in his own message which I think was his whole battle. He wasn't brave enough or "faithful" enough to believe his father to join in the fire. That left him with so much guilt that he tried to hide it by spreading that same old message his father spread before him, but he never believed it. Then push came to shove, and he found a way to get rid of his guilt... unfortunately that involved burning people alive with him.

Take that for a psycho analysis, Dr. Rosen has nothing on me
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

I thought this was an ok episode. I really liked the Rachel and Gary parts, especially when Gary insists that Rachel keep talking to her father about going to the hospital to get checked out. Rosen was pretty good in this episode too, but I found the cult and the Nina/Hicks stuff pretty blah.
            sigpic

Comment

Thought it was a good episode. Its interesting to see how Gary is developing...
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X