• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catch and Release (107)

Visit the Episode GuideALPHAS SEASON ONE
    CATCH AND RELEASE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 107

The team must locate and protect Skylar, an Alpha whose inventions could be dangerous in the wrong hands. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 17 March 2012, 03:27 PM.

Well, I have to admit that I was not that surprised that Sandra tried to keep Gary from working with Rosen and company. For all the times they placed him in dangerous situations, I'm surprised she didn't try to sue their butts.

It was also a good/bad thing to see Gary standing up for himself against his mother's influence. On the one hand, it shows growth in the character (a constant theme in the series thus far). On the other hand, Sandra still has fears over Gary's safety and that he doesn't quite realize into what kind of a situation he is getting himself (as witnessed by her crying as Gary went to bed. Those were tears of relief that he was okay, but also tears showing her fear that he will be harmed or even killed).

It's nice that Bill is thinking of kids. If nothing else, it will provide an avenue for a new storyline which involves his and Jeannie's child (born or still in the womb) possibly having some kind of "super-alpha" ability. It was interesting that he asked Hicks about his kid and whether or not he was displaying any signs of alpha-like abilities, as had Rosen in the pilot episode. Rosen did mention (something like) that Skylar's kid was the first known instance of alpha ability being passed along to the next generation. This was an interesting piece of information.

Otherwise, I thought it was a too easy for Skylar to be able to make up her "zapper" right under their noses. I would have thought she would have had access to her tools curtailed or that she would have been placed under closer supervision. Yes, she wasn't a prisoner, however, she was still someone about whom you had concerns over her motivations.

And how did Rosen and company gain access so easily to those DoD facilities where Skylar had her own version of Cerebro? I'm surprised they gained such easy access especially after a security breach.

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

Comment

Great episode this week again. Skylar was a good character and it's fun to see our alphas in action with some personal stuff sprinkled here and there. Alphas has become my favorite show on Syfy and during the summer (still on) beside Futurama. This episode, as the others, has great balance between humor and serious issues. The fact that it is more serious than W13 is more than welcome to me, even if I think W13 is great too.
      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

It was nice that we had more back story for Gary, Bill and Nina. I'm wondering when we will see an attempt at a resolution to Rachel's problems.

I was also amused by the (un)intentional "dog with its nose out the window" moment with Rachel tracking the bio-diesel scent of Skylar's stolen car.

regards,
        G.
        Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
          I was also amused by the (un)intentional "dog with its nose out the window" moment with Rachel tracking the bio-diesel scent of Skylar's stolen car.
          The diesel fuel trail and missing Volvo were a little too convenient, but I loved all those little bugs Skylar kept sending out into the air. They tracked or deflected, scouted or did whatever she wanted them to. Cute toy! Like Stargate, the thing that makes this show tick is the relationship building going on amongst the characters. It’s fascinating to watch them each developing their sense of self within the team and protecting each other…within the team or as Alphas, in general. Very enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
            The diesel fuel trail and missing Volvo were a little too convenient, but I loved all those little bugs Skylar kept sending out into the air. They tracked or deflected, scouted or did whatever she wanted them to. Cute toy! Like Stargate, the thing that makes this show tick is the relationship building going on amongst the characters. It’s fascinating to watch them each developing their sense of self within the team and protecting each other…within the team or as Alphas, in general. Very enjoyable.
            I also liked that Skylar had come prepared to deal with the alphas she knew (eg. Nina) by inventing the contacts which prevent her from being "pushed". I wonder how long it will be before someone else figures out such a device.

I'm assuming Red Flag has to be scouting out the abilities of Rosen and his group. There's been close, first hand experience with Gary ("Rosetta") and what he can do, and how to nullify him. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of strategy being plotted on how best to overcome the entire group.

Rachel's senses could be overloaded such that she could not use any of her senses without extreme discomfort and disorientation. Bill could be duped into using his ability only to have the real threat waiting until he is as weak as a kitten. As for Nina, "...well, Nina never does anything she doesn't want to do..." (Rosen), however, if someone figures out that she needs to make eye contact then how well will her power work against Skylar's special lenses, or if she is in a dark room or is blindfolded, or her opponent is blind? And while Hicks is new to the group, his abilities were known to Red Flag before Rosen and company were ever aware of his existence, so I'd imagine that Red Flag could figure out how to use his ability against him.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Good episode, but one thing that really annoyed me was Sandra messing with Gary's schedule. My sister is high functioning Aspergers and ADD (basically, she found ways to cope with the issues so she functions well) so I don't have any experience with Autism but from all the reading I know that you don't take someone on the Autism Spectrum off their schedule! It's how they cope. Sandra is lucky he only yelled at her once and didn't have a full on panic attack.

But it was a good episode, and I love the relationship between the group. It's just getting better and better, and I love seeing more of it expanding over the series. Plus, I love the coffee machine at the end gotta have one of those
              "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
              "what?"
              *throat punch*
              My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
              LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Considering the alternative in her eyes was risking his life in Rosen's care, it's understandable that she'd think changing his schedule was acceptable. He'd probably adapt after a while, or at least she'd hope so.

Comment

Pretty good episode, I enjoyed it a lot. Nice to see Gary saving the day and coordinating the attack on the house and I really liked the bit where Bill went off and got Gary three different types of purple drink, I would have expected him to just grab any and tell Gary to deal with it but he didn't.

The only thing I would say is that I expected Bill to be against having a child after this episode, I know Skylar's child is amazingly gifted but it does mean that she may always behunted by people who want to use her ability. I thought Bill would have decided not to have a child and risk having them hunted for their entire life but it was nice to see him getting excited about being a dad.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                    I thought Bill would have decided not to have a child and risk having them hunted for their entire life but it was nice to see him getting excited about being a dad.
                    Since Bill is not hunted down himself, I don't think he saw it that way. His child would probably have similar power to him which are not the type of power an Alphas could get hunted down for.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                      Since Bill is not hunted down himself, I don't think he saw it that way. His child would probably have similar power to him which are not the type of power an Alphas could get hunted down for.
                      I see that, although Skylar's little girl's ability was different to her own so they might not be the same. I'm just saying that with Red Flag becoming more active and the government locking more people up in bimmington(sp) and now the NSA chasing Alphas who have useful abilities it might not be the best idea to have a child.
                      sigpic

Comment

Skylar only got in trouble the NSA because she decided to work for them in the first place, then tried to back out. Bill, on the other hand, has DOD approval and protection from Rosen. They'd be hard pressed to just grab his child without a huge fuss being thrown.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                          Skylar only got in trouble the NSA because she decided to work for them in the first place, then tried to back out. Bill, on the other hand, has DOD approval and protection from Rosen. They'd be hard pressed to just grab his child without a huge fuss being thrown.
                          Fair enough and yes she did work for the NSA but don't forget that the guys Rosen works for wanted to grab her and hold her against her will to get her to work for them.
                          sigpic

Comment

She did blow up a building (or part of one), and they had reason to suspect she was up to no good. She was being left alone as long as she wasn't any danger.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                              She did blow up a building (or part of one), and they had reason to suspect she was up to no good. She was being left alone as long as she wasn't any danger.
                              No not the NSA, the guys Rosen works for, Sullivan the handler said to Rosen that they want to apprehend her and make her work for them, she said that Skylar would receive compensation but that she would be caught and forced to work for them.

If she was to be caught and then tried in court and then imprisoned for assault on NSA agents and blowing up the building I could understand that but they wanted her to work for them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X