• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cause & Effect (102)

Visit the Episode GuideALPHAS SEASON ONE
    CAUSE & EFFECT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 102

One of Dr. Rosen's talented former patients with a specialty for perceiving causality escapes from custody, who is now targeting those involved in his incarceration.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 17 March 2012, 03:24 PM.

just watched it. it was good, not as good as the pilot but thats okay.

i totally called that the guy sees it like a chess game. and the whole time the african american cob was on screen i was like (richard!).
    sigpic

Comment

I was kind of meh with the episode. Mostly, I didn't care for the antagonist's power.

This guy can (I trust we aren't dealing with spoilers here) figure out probabilities to an absolute. He can be in a sealed vehicle, and set a chain of events in motion which involve not only the people and things around him, but also involve other vehicles and people which he has never before seen or met, who are hundreds of yards away, and he can figure out how they will react and what will happen, so that the result is him getting free. Right. One on one, or in very small groups, perhaps, but from the context of the world rules the show is trying to set up this guy is far too uber.

I also found the ending to be rather silly. His "death" would not be believed by his antagonists until a body was produced. He would know that they would react the way they did. So why do it? It's not like they are all stalled while looking for his body. He should have been able to get away completely free and clear, without going over the side of the bridge while being shot at. Silly.

regards,
      G.

PS - His ability kind of reminds me of Ernie Shea (aka "Lucky Duck") from the Callahan stories by Spider Robinson.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

To be fair, the guy could see the cars outside the ambulance, which is why he could include them in his plans. Still, you're right that this guy is way overpowered, like Hicks on super-steroids.

As for his "death", he planned it that way, obviously. Marcus set up that situation specifically to demonstrate the intent of his supposed adversaries. If they had arrested him peacefully, then he was wrong. Instead, the leader shot a man who had very clearly surrendered and disarmed himself. That right there proves malicious intent.

Comment

I think this episode was great. Much better than the pilot. Marcus power remind me of Milo in the Fringe episode "The Plateau" and he makes a great "enemy" for our Alphas. I hope to see him again. I think the writing was already much better in this episode and they brought a nice back story for the show's mythology and Dr Rosen.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            I

I also found the ending to be rather silly. His "death" would not be believed by his antagonists until a body was produced. He would know that they would react the way they did. So why do it? It's not like they are all stalled while looking for his body. He should have been able to get away completely free and clear, without going over the side of the bridge while being shot at. Silly.
            You must have watched the wrong show. No antagonists truly believe he was dead. All the contrary the black agent told them to check and check again to find the body while our Alphas questioned themselves on screen if he was truly dead or not. So your point is moot.

You also seems to misunderstand his power. He's not predicting with absolute certainty the future. For one he is a bit too paranoid which influences and impairs his judgments. Second even with no paranoia, he's not seeing the future in advance, he can only see the different probability of future events. For example, in 80% of the case if you push on the floor while he was holding a big box, he will let the box go (and possibly causing an accident if that's what you want to do) but in 20% the person may hold on to the box and decide to hold it with one hand or fall on it. Skewing your plan to lets say create an accident.

For example, he admitted that Dr. Rosen surprised him. He thinks everybody else knows (almost) as much as him. So he was surprised that Dr. Rosen didn't know anything about the great plan to eliminate Alphas.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I checked out partway through this episode. I'm not pulled in, I really don't like any one character all that much and actually dislike (or am really annoyed) by more than one main character. The bad guy from this week had some kind of mental disability (which is a terrible pattern) and was annoying and uninteresting.

I tried, for those of you who like the show...good luck...I wouldn't get too attached.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                You must have watched the wrong show. No antagonists truly believe he was dead. All the contrary the black agent told them to check and check again to find the body while our Alphas questioned themselves on screen if he was truly dead or not. So your point is moot.

You also seems to misunderstand his power. He's not predicting with absolute certainty the future. For one he is a bit too paranoid which influences and impairs his judgments. Second even with no paranoia, he's not seeing the future in advance, he can only see the different probability of future events. For example, in 80% of the case if you push on the floor while he was holding a big box, he will let the box go (and possibly causing an accident if that's what you want to do) but in 20% the person may hold on to the box and decide to hold it with one hand or fall on it. Skewing your plan to lets say create an accident.

For example, he admitted that Dr. Rosen surprised him. He thinks everybody else knows (almost) as much as him. So he was surprised that Dr. Rosen didn't know anything about the great plan to eliminate Alphas.

You must have read the wrong post.

That his antagonists would not believe he was dead was why I said, "His death would not be believed by his antagonists...". My point is that since *nobody* was going to believe he was dead says to me that his going through the whole event at the bridge was a waste of effort on part. If his modus operandi was "to always attack" then why would he do what can be seen (at best) as a lateral move? Whether he was going to kill Rosen or not, his ways off the bridge were either to get shot (his assumed result) or he would be taken into custody (a low probability result). Why wouldn't he just figure out the best odds to take a bus to Florida?

I don't believe I have misunderstood his power. What I said was, "This guy can figure out probabilities to an absolute." I suppose I could have been a bit clearer there, in that the results of the actions he puts into effect are not 100% certain, but they are pretty darn close. His power is to see the best path which gets him to his desired result. If the path detours a bit, that's fine, but he would still get to where he wanted to be.

Were we shown *any* instance where there wasn't an almost sure thing (99.9999%) that events would give the result as he intended? No. He can "see" what chain of events give the highest probability for the result he wants. The accident scene was perhaps a rough ride for him, and he got a couple scrapes, but he was also able to break the chain of his handcuffs by the impact of a single rod shooting through the ambulance, and then escape. The oncoming traffic was something which was not in his initial calculations (the oncoming were not noted in his initial calculations). Events still resulted in Marcus breaking his handcuffs and getting free.

At the bridge, he said about he and Rosen being on the bridge, "...this is the best of all possible outcomes." Great. It doesn't matter why Rosen was on the bridge with him. It doesn't matter that Rosen was there because he was kidnapped by Marcus, or that he decided of his own free will to go to the bridge with Marcus, it was the fact that they were both there at that point in time. Once there, Marcus got the result he wanted, he wasn't taken alive (as far as we know).

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

That was the most boring thing I have ever seen. At least the pilot had few interesting scenes, but this one... nothing.
                  It was good to see The 4400's Richard. He's a good actor.

Last week, I said I'm gonna give it a chance by watching like 4 more episodes, but after this one, It's only one chance. If I don't like the next episode, then I'm not gonna watch the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                    If his modus operandi was "to always attack" then why would he do what can be seen (at best) as a lateral move? Whether he was going to kill Rosen or not, his ways off the bridge were either to get shot (his assumed result) or he would be taken into custody (a low probability result). Why wouldn't he just figure out the best odds to take a bus to Florida?
                    I think, as he said, he wanted to speak then prove something to Dr. Rosen (a variable he didn't anticipate). He dropped the knife but the agent still took a shot to kill him. Proving his point to Dr. Rosen.

Comment

Maybe the real drawback of Marcus's power is that he doesn't have free will or he doesn't think he has free will. Maybe he used his power on himself and just followed the most likely course of action regardless of whether or not they made any sense.

Comment

For anyone who watches Fringe, this episode felt awfully similar to one they did earlier in Season 3 - the guy with the pens. So it really didn't get me more interested in the show, in fact, probably lost some interest. Unoriginal.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X