Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Speculation how SGU would have ended if it had run it course....

I recon this has been done before, but its not on any of the recent pages so I thought I'd give it another go.

So we know that Destiny is aiming for the centre of the Universe to find "The God Signal" Or as Rush would say a sign of intelgence at the time of the big bang.

How obvious is it that the signal they are going to find is them, as they will have no doubt completed Destiny's journey, been somehow present at the beginning of known time and space, and for reasons that will have been explained sent a signal to tell themselves something.

I'm usually pretty good at guessing outcomes of plots in novels and movies. And this seemed too obvious!

Guess we'll never know for sure though...... Dam it, I love being right!
    I got nothing!

Colonel

Default Re: Speculation how SGU would have ended if it had run it course....

Destiny is not aiming for the centre of the universe, there's no such thing, it's collecting 'pieces of a puzzle scattered the length and breadth of the universe'. Also, the microwave background radiation didn't form until about 400k years after the big bang, leaving time travel a possibility. I've no idea what the reveal would have been, I only hope it they weren't planning on taking the pathetic magic/goddunnit routes that Lost and BSG did. If they were, then I'd actually be glad we never got to see it. I'm not sure if it would have been part of the main storyline, but I do get the feeling that it would turn out that the Destiny crew started the Ancient civilization by going back in time, which would both solve the stupid 'second evolution' problem and also provide an even better reason as to why the Ancients put so much into the mission.

why would they do it this way then? they had time until 10200 years ago to finish Destiny.

I'm not sure that the series would end with the structure in the radiation ever being solved. I don't think it needed to be resolved. It gave Destiny a reason to be out there, for there to be a 9th Chevron, but the show wasn't about discovering the 'answer'.

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    why would they do it this way then? they had time until 10200 years ago to finish Destiny.
    Because travelling the length and breadth of the universe takes a really long time. I'm guessing that's what the stasis pods are for.

Lieutenant Colonel

The odds of it finishing it's mission in a few year period after already been underway for millions of year is zero.

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by NoArmsJames View Post
    I'm not sure that the series would end with the structure in the radiation ever being solved. I don't think it needed to be resolved. It gave Destiny a reason to be out there, for there to be a 9th Chevron, but the show wasn't about discovering the 'answer'.
    Maybe not solved completely. But by the end, I would hope the crew would have discovered more clues along their journey.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

First Lieutenant themeatcleaver's Avatar

all i ever wanted to see was our crew walk through the gate and into the SGC to great applause.

/i never got to see it :-/

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    The odds of it finishing it's mission in a few year period after already been underway for millions of year is zero.
    A few hypothetical seasons wouldn't necessarily equate to a few years though, due to the stasis pods.

akuma,

Quote Originally Posted by akuma07 View Post
    I recon this has been done before, but its not on any of the recent pages so I thought I'd give it another go.

So we know that Destiny is aiming for the centre of the Universe to find "The God Signal" Or as Rush would say a sign of intelgence at the time of the big bang.

How obvious is it that the signal they are going to find is them, as they will have no doubt completed Destiny's journey, been somehow present at the beginning of known time and space, and for reasons that will have been explained sent a signal to tell themselves something.

I'm usually pretty good at guessing outcomes of plots in novels and movies. And this seemed too obvious!

Guess we'll never know for sure though...... Dam it, I love being right!
    Everywhere is the center of the Universe. There is no center or starting point. The Big Bang was not an explosion into space. It was, and is, an explosion of space. Therefore a better way to think of the Universe is that of a balloon expanding with the surface of the balloon being the universe we can percive and move through. There is no "center point" that we can perceive or travel to.
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

double post, sorry
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Quote Originally Posted by themeatcleaver View Post
    all i ever wanted to see was our crew walk through the gate and into the SGC to great applause.
    *imagines* That would've been awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by themeatcleaver View Post

/i never got to see it :-/
    yes, that would have been sweet!

To bring the Destiny's crew back to earth in the last 5 minutes of the last episode of 100 episodes would have made a great happy end, I think. But the stories told in between would be more important for me.

An ending which includes that I know more about the "mission" of Destiny, and the Ancient's thoughts about this mission, would be more interesting for me. And since we'll most likely never know, how the writers ever planned to end their story of Destiny, there's place for speculation, but I guess it would be more than just a comforting happy end.
    Last edited by Artemis-Neith; July 2nd, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by NoArmsJames View Post
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Not now we know what the destiny was doing. Which was collecting data on the background radiation, there never was a destination. For all we know Destiny could have all the data needed to solve the puzzle now, and it could have had that data for thousand of years before the crew step aboard, but it was design to carry on the same routine until the ancients came aboard and tell Destiny that it has completed her mission, after all her floating in space would make her an easy target. Of cause to fine out whether it had enough data to solve the mystery would require a crew that knows what it is doing.

I believe it already been said that the Destiny mission has already extended way longer than original planned, which gives the writer the perfect reason why the mission was or is completed when our crew arrived.

I actually never wanted the crew to return home. I wanted them to build lives on the ship and it ever evolving journey through the cosmos.

I got a pretty complete idea on what the signal is but it a fairly complicated set of ideas at the minute that I need to write down and do research on it, to make sure it make sense.

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by knowles2 View Post
    Not now we know what the destiny was doing. Which was collecting data on the background radiation, there never was a destination. For all we know Destiny could have all the data needed to solve the puzzle now, and it could have had that data for thousand of years before the crew step aboard, but it was design to carry on the same routine until the ancients came aboard and tell Destiny that it has completed her mission, after all her floating in space would make her an easy target. Of cause to fine out whether it had enough data to solve the mystery would require a crew that knows what it is doing.

I believe it already been said that the Destiny mission has already extended way longer than original planned, which gives the writer the perfect reason why the mission was or is completed when our crew arrived.

I actually never wanted the crew to return home. I wanted them to build lives on the ship and it ever evolving journey through the cosmos.

I got a pretty complete idea on what the signal is but it a fairly complicated set of ideas at the minute that I need to write down and do research on it, to make sure it make sense.
    The signal is
    "don't come this way, there are drones"

or
    the signal is a trap

Colonel

The signal is everywhere, it's not coming from a single point.

Major General

I would also have liked it to end with some returning home..

Though why would they 'warrant' a round of applause?

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Though why would they 'warrant' a round of applause?
    For surviving? For finding out what's the message from the beginning of time? I'm sure they would've warranted the applause somehow.