Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Colonel

Default Re: Speculation how SGU would have ended if it had run it course....

I'd much rather then mission was completed and they died, than it wasn't but they got home. For me the longer the show went on, the less getting home mattered.

Captain Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    I'd much rather then mission was completed and they died, than it wasn't but they got home. For me the longer the show went on, the less getting home mattered.
    Nicely put KEK.

Hmm, things usually end in death and destruction. Or....they discover Jesus.

First Lieutenant themeatcleaver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Hmm, things usually end in death and destruction. Or....they discover Jesus.
    Something tells me that Jesus was weaksauce compared to the planet builders!

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by themeatcleaver View Post
    Something tells me that Jesus was weaksauce compared to the planet builders!
    They couldn't even save or recreate a simple lifeform. There are far far away from being godlike. Moving a sun and planet is not a god worthy event.

Quote Originally Posted by morrismike View Post
    Moving a sun and planet is not a god worthy event.
    How about creating 'em?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Egle01 View Post
    How about creating 'em?
    Created from what? The sun and planet that they moved to that area for raw materials?

Created from what? The sun and planet that they moved to that area for raw materials?
    They put a papa sun and a mama sun together in a room, then....stuff happens and bam!

In "Faith" the crew discussed that those aliens created the solar system. Probably speculation, yes, but AFAIK they hadn't come up with another theory. Even so, you make it sound like moving a star and a planet isn't impressive enough. Definitely more than Jesus has to show for.

Actually I think with all the magical sci-fi stuff/tech they have on the show, they could have easily done it with some astrophysics. I think accelerating objects create a slight gravitational effect. If they could alter the trajectory every so slightly, even just a degree, over large scale distances, they can move things. Or they could have just accumulated large amounts of hydrogen plasma and whatnot from various places and maybe an induced gravitational field and just let gravity do its work.

Chief Master Sergeant

In "Faith" the crew discussed that those aliens created the solar system. Probably speculation, yes, but AFAIK they hadn't come up with another theory.
    Ascended Ancients did the same thing with Abydos. They un-created it when they were done with it, not because they had to (and hell that was Oma by herself wasn't it?). So I was never that impressed with them or Eli's claim that they would be the most advanced race ever.

Lieutenant Colonel

In "Faith" the crew discussed that those aliens created the solar system. Probably speculation, yes, but AFAIK they hadn't come up with another theory. Even so, you make it sound like moving a star and a planet isn't impressive enough. Definitely more than Jesus has to show for.
    It is quite possible the whole thing was an illusion (like on the mist world in sga). Moving a star and planet is impressive but no godlike. Not being able to reproduce a lifeform is a key element of godhood and they failed badly. Reproducing the shuttle was impressive as was moving the planet and sun. It's quite possible the matter was floating around and they used a "genesis device" to make the solar system. Was Kirks son and ex wives gods for creating this?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    Actually I think with all the magical sci-fi stuff/tech they have on the show, they could have easily done it with some astrophysics. I think accelerating objects create a slight gravitational effect. If they could alter the trajectory every so slightly, even just a degree, over large scale distances, they can move things. Or they could have just accumulated large amounts of hydrogen plasma and whatnot from various places and maybe an induced gravitational field and just let gravity do its work.
    still easiest to simply move a star and planet if you're at that tech level

I'm 99% sure rush said Destiny was heading in towards the central Galaxies of the universe as "The Signal" would be stronger there.

Remember, we are not talking about how real word physics work. Only the SGU ones.

And I recon the serise would have been a Terminator-esk time paradox, Destiny sent or at least caused the signal they are looking for.
    I got nothing!

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by akuma07 View Post
    I'm 99% sure rush said Destiny was heading in towards the central Galaxies of the universe as "The Signal" would be stronger there.
    I'm 100% sure he never.

Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    I'm 100% sure he never.
    I'm at work at the moment, but when i get home I'm going to go through the episodes in question and see what was actually said. I'll post up what I find. On Youtube for proof if I have to.
    I got nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by akuma07 View Post
    I'm at work at the moment, but when i get home I'm going to go through the episodes in question and see what was actually said. I'll post up what I find. On Youtube for proof if I have to.
    Better to use the transcripts here on GW!

Second Lieutenant

If something is infinitely large in every direction, where is the center?

<waves his hand in his best jedi mind trick> There are no central galaxies.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
    To bring the Destiny's crew back to earth in the last 5 minutes of the last episode of 100 episodes would have made a great happy end, I think. But the stories told in between would be more important for me.
    I know there's a reply before this which basically says the opposite, that the having them solve the mission is better than getting home, but the people on board are still people. They have families and friends on Earth. The mission itself is so big that I think any answer they find would be a let down or cheesey. It's too big to solve. But a great plot device. Unless they find it's fake... However, getting home, just, and I do mean just, in the final reel, would be satisfying. With a final, five/ten-second glimpse at something which says, "or did they?"

Major General

Hows about they finally realize that they won't ever get home and ALL of them do as rush/young wanted, and completely focus on the mission.