Destiny's Stargate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's Stargate

I'm not sure I quite understand something about Destiny's stargate, is it unique to all of the other "first generation" gates that the crew has encountered? I ask this because of the fact that planetary gates have a limited range, yet via the ninth chevron, Destiny's gate can theoretically dial across the universe to Earth. Is it simply the nature of a nine-chevron address that bypasses this limitation (obviously with sufficient power)? Or does Destiny's gate perhaps have a unique feature (which seems possible since whatever programming was implemented into the seed ships to formulate Stargates is likely much older than whatever the Ancients used to design Destiny's stargate—they likely built that one themselves), or is this just another oversight by TPTB?

Something I was pondering tonight while bored training a new employee...

I think the range has more to do with power generation, they were just unable to create the power needed to dial across a galaxy until much later. Or maybe the way the gates are made (automatically) prevents them from being capable of such things.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      I think the range has more to do with power generation, they were just unable to create the power needed to dial across a galaxy until much later. Or maybe the way the gates are made (automatically) prevents them from being capable of such things.
      This. I think it's just that the prototype gates have much less power available to them, so they can only dial a short radius around them. If Destiny had more power, it would solve that limitation.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

If you remember, it was the Icarus Base gate that dialed Destiny's gate. From my understanding, I think any gate can dial the 9th chevron as long as they have sufficient power.
        sigpic

Comment

I guess that makes sense, given that planetary Destiny-era gates don't have DHD's to supply power. When Destiny was in fully-functioning condition her power supply must have been pretty significant to dial a nine-chevron address...

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            If you remember, it was the Icarus Base gate that dialed Destiny's gate. From my understanding, I think any gate can dial the 9th chevron as long as they have sufficient power.
            And the capability of faking the gate's location, to appear from Earth.
            If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
            Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
            If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
            Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

it is a power issue. milky way gates can dial intergalactic distances given enough power, same with pegasus. destiny gate can do that when they recharged inside the star which sent them back in time. however planet gatges seeded by the shgips cannot dial large distances due to power requirements. if you supply them and interface enough power then they will dial larger distances.

Comment

Originally posted by THE_ASGUARD View Post
                it is a power issue. milky way gates can dial intergalactic distances given enough power, same with pegasus. destiny gate can do that when they recharged inside the star which sent them back in time. however planet gatges seeded by the shgips cannot dial large distances due to power requirements. if you supply them and interface enough power then they will dial larger distances.
                +1
                sigpic

Comment

all the Stargates on "special places" are special.
                  the original Stargate on Atlantis (the one that blow up) was unique made specially by lanteans.
                  the Stargate of the milky way on earth that was on the Antarctica was also unique and the point of origin symbol was the symbol of the infinite (in some sg1 episodes you can see the symbol on the DHD and rarely on the Stargate).

probably was think in some point replace the common one we always watched from the 1994 movie by this one, but never happened since that Stargate was blow up by Anubis.

probably the light over the main chevron on destiny its a upgrade. later in the milky way version its the chevron that opens and closes itself. on Atlantis it does not even matter since at the same time its getting light the unstable wormhole its activated.
                  the destiny gate also trows steam on the sides after a connection. probably some cooling or energy deputation result as the Stargate on earth that since it depurates the energy, steam comes out of it.

also an interesting fact, if the real 9 chevron was done so only can be dialed from earth, the last symbol should be the infinite one from the real Stargate placed by the ancients. not the pyramid with the sun on top that we know first that on sg1 was mentioned ra took that Stargate from another planet to here since he could not find the stargate on earth (he was really lazy apparently).

also the destiny stargate if you noticed it, it does not have a pedestal, like all the others around the galaxies with the prototype stargate. this is somehow attached to the destiny directly.
                  Last edited by SILLYFAN; 18 July 2011, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SILLYFAN View Post
                    all the Stargates on "special places" are special.
                    the original Stargate on Atlantis (the one that blow up) was unique made specially by lanteans.
                    the Stargate of the milky way on earth that was on the Antarctica was also unique and the point of origin symbol was the symbol of the infinite (in some sg1 episodes you can see the symbol on the DHD and rarely on the Stargate).

probably was think in some point replace the common one we always watched from the 1994 movie by this one, but never happened since that Stargate was blow up by Anubis.

probably the light over the main chevron on destiny its a upgrade. later in the milky way version its the chevron that opens and closes itself. on Atlantis it does not even matter since at the same time its getting light the unstable wormhole its activated.
                    the destiny gate also trows steam on the sides after a connection. probably some cooling or energy deputation result as the Stargate on earth that since it depurates the energy, steam comes out of it.

also an interesting fact, if the real 9 chevron was done so only can be dialed from earth, the last symbol should be the infinite one from the real Stargate placed by the ancients. not the pyramid with the sun on top that we know first that on sg1 was mentioned ra took that Stargate from another planet to here since he could not find the stargate on earth (he was really lazy apparently).

also the destiny stargate if you noticed it, it does not have a pedestal, like all the others around the galaxies with the prototype stargate. this is somehow attached to the destiny directly.
                    Not really. The Stargate, presumably, works from points in space, not Chevrons on a Stargate. The Chevrons on the stargate are visual representations of these points. The true point of Origin, the area from where Earth dials, does not change. Instead, the visual representation changes. This is congruent with the show, if you watch The Serpent's Lair. Daniel dials the Alpha Site on Klorel's Ha'tak. While the symbol on the gate is different for the PoO, the gate in orbit already had the co-ordinate programmed from Earth (the collective updating system). That co-ordinate was on the grid. Therefore, one must either be on Earth, or be able to imitate the co-ordinate of Earth, in order to dial Destiny. And random aliens wouldn't know where to begin with that.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      And the capability of faking the gate's location, to appear from Earth.
                      From what I remember of the nine chevron address, it was said to be a code more than it was an address.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        From what I remember of the nine chevron address, it was said to be a code more than it was an address.
                        I think you're right.

sigpic

Comment

do you have a link to what the earth startgate's orignal point of origin symbol looked like?

Comment

Originally posted by Capricorn_One View Post
                            do you have a link to what the earth startgate's orignal point of origin symbol looked like?
                            There is a pic of it here: Gate in Solitudes
                            sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                              I personally do not think the writers really think about certain elements in the Stargate realm very much. For instance, saying the Destiny's/Seed ship made gates would be inferior. Why? The Seed ships were launched 40million years B.C and Carter said that the MW gate could have been as old as 50 million years B.C. Also, this-830px-StargatePlans.jpg Clearly a MW type gate in Amelius's notebook.

The whole distance thing could be a combination of energy requirements AND the lack of D.H.D's for compensating for stellar drift. Those dinky dial devices SG-U teams have would be unlikely to be as good at ether of those as a D.H.D. But with the power requirements, how could such an inferior gate made out of apparently second hand materials hold enough energy to dial back to Earth from Destiny which they attempt? We know they are second hand because a blast from a Berzerker drone blasted a hole in one, but it takes powerful nukes to damage MW gates.
                              sigpicHe who controls the spice controls the universe!(And the kitchen.)

If you enjoy Minecraft or have never played but like building and exploring please check out Craftyn.com and apply for roamer status on the server at http://www.craftyn.com/forms/2/respond It is a well modded towny type server with a strong core community and lots of mini games and events. My user name is TrueGormagon and you are welcome to join the great city of Eden, Craftyns oldest player made city. (2011)

Comment

Working...
                              X