4)Remember Farscape-1 is Earth tech
    5) The data was recorded from his module
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Default Re: A new fan's view of the show+questions

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    4)Remember Farscape-1 is Earth tech
    5) The data was recorded from his module
    Sometimes I get really confused with no reason. Sorry for these stupid questions
    thanks.

From the comments:
    1.) More or less the same way he accidentally created one the first time while orbiting Earth (his dialogue w/ Aeryn indicates as much)
    2.) It takes time...
    3.) I actually liked the whole episode. Some parts could've been better, but, as a whole, it was pretty good, IMHO.
    4.) Maybe there wasn't another one?
    5.) I think it describes the show quite well. Farscape. A distant vista? Or something like that? That and <a bit of a spoiler> the module's importance doesn't become highlighted until much later (as in later seasons).

Questions (and my attempts to answer them):
    1- Where exactly are they going? Is there a destination? They're just moving on and on.

Well, everyone ('cept Pilot, since he lives to serve) just wants to go home. The problem is how (they're in the 'Uncharted Territories', after all)

2- What caused Aeryn to temporarily go blind?

The Solar Flare.

3- What caused the wormhole? Was it the solar flare? If it wasn't, then what's the significance of the flare?

The flare was affecting the planet's magnetic field, I think (kinda like how a solar flare, probably, triggered/created the one that brought Crichton to the Uncharted Territories)

4- Was that a USB memory that he handed over to Furlow??? Do they have that where they are?

I think it was a cassette thingy (data cassette? cassette tape?).

5- Wasn't he on Farscape-1 when he obtained that data? How did he manage to collect it when he was in air and couldn't get back to Moya?

Well, the recorder is on Farscape-1. He probably had spare cassettes in his NASA bag and the data that Furlough (sp?) got was for that particular day's flight only.

Hope that helped.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43546&dateline=1312852922

Ok let's see,
    Episode 12- Rhapsody in blue
    -Comments:
    1- I loved that episode. Totally awesome.
    2-Moya should know better than to follow any distress call, but I guess she's acting like any mother.
    3-The one playing Tahleen has amazing acting skills. At the beginning I thought she was good.
    4-When I saw that unity scene, I thought, 'Hey, I wanna try that'.
    -Questions:
    1- How can the ability to control the dark piece of their soul be used as a weapon?
    2- Why do they go insane? Are they originally dark and they learn to master it?
    3- What exactly did the Delvians do to Aeryn when they messed with the minds of those on Moya?
    4- What's so special about Crichton that made him able to help Zhaan?
    5- What's so special about that tree? And why did the old man tell Crichton that he'll die if he touched it?

Episode 12- The Flax
    -Comments:
    1-The flax looked like beginnings of a wormhole. Are they trying to take off the budget as much as they can??!!!
    2-So, CPR over PK technology??? WOW.
    3-I didn't like their speculations about afterlife. Felt it was a stupid speculation, that darkness thing.
    4-Rygel is awesome. Not just funny, he's smart too.
    5-The last few scenes were so funny.
    6-This episode lacked the thrill.

No Questions this time.

Your not going to get all the answers right away that's part of the show.

From interviews, episode commentaries, I think the show is supposed to be from Crichton's point of view (at least the beginning) that you are thrust into this new unknown universe and you have no idea what is going on. Just as you would in real life you learn as you go. If you want all the answers now, you're watching the wrong show.

John and the rest of the people on Moya were thrust together and started out only co-operating to stay alive. They had one common goal - to get away from the Peacekeepers. The others were prisoners on Moya and didn't really like each other. After being forced to spend enough time together they begin to like each other and slowly grow into friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PrometheOSS View Post
    WOW. I never thought the show would have deep meanings like this. I love that in a show. Because of that incident, I'm strating to like Aeryn more and more. I thought the PKs had no feelings.
    Episode 9: DNA Mad Scientist
    4- What did Aeryn mean by this 'I've always thought of myself in terms of survival, life and death, keeping the body alive. But what NamTar did to me... It wa-...it was me. Inside. The real me.'?

Aeryn's quotes always confuse me. :s
    Aeryn (and peacekeepers) were taught from childhood not to feel but to go thru life with the purpose of the Peacekeepers. They are isolated from other races. She fights against them but never leaves her ship to actually meet them. So when she gets thrust into this world of Moya and then meets Crichton she is totally lost. She essentially doesn't know how to feel these emotions and is slowly learning.
    When I first started watching the show, I had a problem with Aeryn's behavior and actions myself. But as you slowly learn about her life you begin to understand why she acts (and reacts) the way she does.

Because of her background Aeryn has had an superficial life sort of, so when she was deprived of all she knew and turned it that thing she was forced to look at life from a different perspective.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

3- Does anyone know how they move the puppets in this show?
    Some of the sets are on a raised platform and the puppeteers lay on the ground under the set to control them. I think they said there are 6 different people that move various parts of Rygel.

Alot of the scenes are done in front of a green screen, that might be how Rygel floats.

Episode 9: DNA Mad Scientist
    -Comments:
    1- I was surprised when I saw what D'Argo, Zhaan and Rygel did to Pilot. These are not the ones we knew in the last 8 episodes. Harm a friend for a personal gain???
    At this point they weren't great friends yet, they still really wanted to get home. Rygel was still his greedy selfish pompous person that thought he was better than everyone else so going home was more important than someone else's arm. D'Argo was still mad as hell at being imprisoned and didn't care what he had to do to get home. I was under the impression that they had been imprisoned for many years. As you can see Zhaan does not alway controlling her violent impulses.

==============

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    5. They were imprisoned on Moya, I suppose being transported somewhere, when they took over. Watch Premiere again, essentially Crichton's arrival allowed them to overthrow their masters, or so I always read it, since the confusion helped them to break Moya's control collar... Or do I have it all wrong?
    That's right. Plus Crichton's willingness to do crazy things helps sometimes in out of control situations.

Moya as a ship was being held hostage by the control collar. She had been under the service of the Peacekeepers for awhile. Without the control collar, she has the ability to go off on her own regardless of what her inhabitants want, but was grateful to them for freeing her so was willing to go along with what they wanted to do.

Pilot's backstory (and some of Aeryn's) is explained in the S2 ep 'The Way We Weren't'

=====================

Sometimes I get really confused with no reason. Sorry for these stupid questions
    thanks.
    This can be a confusing show. But contemplate this - these are the easy eps (relatively speaking), wait till you get to season 2.

===============================

Episode 12- Rhapsody in blue

1- How can the ability to control the dark piece of their soul be used as a weapon?
    2- Why do they go insane? Are they originally dark and they learn to master it?
    I think the Delvians are a violent race and the only way to live productive sane lives is to learn to control there impulses. The priests have learned to do this. It seems to me it takes constant attention and meditation to become adept enough to be able to go out in the universe and interact peacefully with others.

4- What's so special about Crichton that made him able to help Zhaan?
    That we find out in bits and pieces and is a main component in Season 4.

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

@ Thnderstorm,
    I do like confusing show. I know sometimes I ask questions that will be answered later, but how should I know it will be??? I f I knew I wouldn't have asked them.
    Episode 14- Jeremiah Crichton
    -Comments:
    1- Finally, he snapped. I was wondering when he finally will. It's a lot of pressure. He had to, and it helped. He had a rest for 3 months.
    2- I feel like this episode is all based on coincidences. He happened to land on that exact planet to help them??? And this planet coincidentally had to be worshipping his friend Rygel. I like these things to be given a reason.
    3- Why does Crichton act like he's a saint? Nobody is. He caused the problem that started this even though it wasn't his intention and he didn't take the time to make it right. He has the right to snap but after he's done.
    4- Rygel was really happy to be back on the top.
    -Questions:
    Just one, Why was it called "Jeremiah Crichton"? Who's Jeremiah?

2. as far as the creators are concerned this isn't one of their better shows - the commentary for this ep is titled "When Bad Things Happen to Good Shows"

I think the Jeremiah is referencing a popular movie from the 70s(?) called Jeremiah Johnson (starring Robert Redford) where a man goes of to live in the wilderness by himself.

The commentaries are great sources of information, but I wouldn't listen to them until finished with the show as they don't always stick to that episode and so could spoil you for upcoming events.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderstorm View Post
    2. as far as the creators are concerned this isn't one of their better shows - the commentary for this ep is titled "When Bad Things Happen to Good Shows"
    That's right, but it's ok. This show is good and it's normal to have some terrible episodes. Nothing is perfect. Even stargate has some bad episodes.

I think the Jeremiah is referencing a popular movie from the 70s(?) called Jeremiah Johnson (starring Robert Redford) where a man goes of to live in the wilderness by himself.
    Never heard of it. Maybe I'll watch it. I'm a fan of oldies.

Never heard of it. Maybe I'll watch it. I'm a fan of oldies.
    LOL! You must be much younger than me. Any movie I watched when it came out is not old. Although I more probably watched it a few years later when it came on tv.

LOL! You must be much younger than me. Any movie I watched when it came out is not old. Although I more probably watched it a few years later when it came on tv.
    I wish I could have lived during those glorious days. From what I heard and saw, I think they were great days. Even the movies were awesome, but not sci fi of course coz of poor graphics. Was it considered poor back then?

I think Moya does have some kind of ship fuel. I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure they go down to a planet for some later on.
    Sorry for being vague...
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Quote Originally Posted by Jae'a View Post
    I think Moya does have some kind of ship fuel. I can't remember what it's called, but I'm sure they go down to a planet for some later on.
    Sorry for being vague...
    Finally an answer to that question. Well almost.
    Does this mean I'll know about it later or has it already happened?

Finally an answer to that question. Well almost.
    Does this mean I'll know about it later or has it already happened?
    No, I'm almost certain it's later on. Either Series 3 or 4.
    Sorry, I haven't watched it in a little while..

Edit: In fact, I might look it up tomorrow (about my bed time now though )
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

Episode 15- Durka Returns
    -Comments:
    1-Finally some real action. It was a thrilling episode. When it was over, I fel like I really got more and more into the show. It became something familiar to me.
    2-The problem with this episode is that I already knew Durka has really been cleansed and that he was back to his evil state after the bomb explosion even before he said it to Rygle in the control room.
    3-The cleansing idea made by the Nebari reminded me of what the avatars did in season 7 of Charmed.
    4-Chiana... What's up with all the female aliens that have strange colors. First, Zhaan and now, Chiana.
    5-Good to finally find a good use for Moya's pregnancy.
    6- I liked how Crichton handled Durka at the end.
    7- I don't like the idea of trusting Chiana. She has to prove she is loyal first. Who knows what she might do. The last thing they need is double-cross when they are barely going coz of Moya's pregnancy. I can't bear her. I don't want her to stay. She's so annoying.
    -Questions:
    1- What's wrong with Rygel comparing himself to a peacekeeper? And when did he do that? He just said that he beat Durka at his own game.
    2- Is Chiana insane or something? It sure looks that way.

Episode 16- A human reaction
    -Comments:
    1- One more added to my favorites of season 1
    2- I knew there was a trick somewhere about being back on Earth.
    3- Finally his friends know where he came from. Now it's not only Zhaan that understands him. Everyone does.
    4- (SG reference) This reminded me of Tollans, an advanced race that wanted a new home. Only SG1 understood them.
    5- Felt sad for the false Rygel, but he looked funny with his tongue out.
    6- Aeryn and John always choose strange time to sleep together.
    7- This is sadly what really happens. Fear causes that and even more.
    -Questions:
    1- Do the microbes make people understand other languages or do they make them able to talk in the language that the others understand?
    2- Is everyone lost in this show? I don't understand the idea of repetition. Why is all the action going on here?
    3- If they're really lost, how do the PK and any other enemies find them? They ARE lost!!

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

1. The microbes translate what others say into your own language so you can understand them. Incidentally, I thought it was really cool to hear Peacekeeper language again, for the first time after the pilot ep. A very realistic VR simulation too. But what really gets me is that were the others there with Crichton or did it all just happen in his head...

They aren't really truly lost, they're just looking for a map that would show them the way to more inhabited space.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    But what really gets me is that were the others there with Crichton or did it all just happen in his head...
    They were really there. The alien lizard explained it. He said they participated in the stimulation to help him find a planet. They couldn't tell crichton, because if he knew, then it wouldn't have worked.

Episode 17- Through the looking glass
    -Comments:
    1- What a mysterious and funny episode. I laughed so much at the end until my tears started flowing.
    2- I don't blame Moya for trying to starburst. They pushed her to her limits, but that doesn't mean they didn't have the right to be worried.
    3- I stopped hating chiana, but she's still so annoying.
    -Questions:
    1- Is it just me or were the last 2 scenes very very very funny?
    2- Does this mean that this incident accelerated the pregnancy?
    Last edited by Kilgharrah; June 14th, 2011 at 09:11 AM.