This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cast Changes

I get why Ford and Carter were written out, but why Weir and Beckett? I'm sure it's been discussed endlessly, but fill me in... the show's been over for two years, and I just don't remember. Did the writers just get bored with them?

I'm also curious about Beckett, I always found him to be one of the best characters.
    "Go to hell!"

"Earth first!"

Comment

Beckett was one of the best and lovable characters of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
        Beckett was one of the best and lovable characters of all time.
        and was killed by a tumor
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I am most curious of this fact too, especially since nothing I heard could be called a reason why.

Unless someone knows something I don't.
          This isn't about love. This is about revenge....

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            and was killed by a tumor
            Seems like an excellent definition for Carson on the show
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I get that the producers/writers wanted to reset the fourth season, but was writing out two major characters necessary? If they wanted to kill someone off for shock value, how about Caldwell? He's a major recurring character, hence his death would be a big event. Then there's Weir... She was my favorite character, especially in the third season. Why write her out? I read once that the writers had difficulty writing her into episodes. They didn't seem to have that problem with Carter and Woolsey. Speaking of which, both Tapping and Picardo were contracted for 14 of 20 episodes. Why not just renegotiate Weir's contract for the fourth season from 20 to 14 episodes? I just hate that she was written out.

Comment

Originally posted by snowman37
                I get why Ford and Carter were written out, but why Weir and Beckett? I'm sure it's been discussed endlessly, but fill me in... the show's been over for two years, and I just don't remember. Did the writers just get bored with them?
                Not so much bored but wanting to do something dramatic and unexpected for the show.

Someone where along the line tptb made the decision that they wanted to kill a main character as it would resonate harder and with more emotions with the fans and so Carson was the chosen character to be killed off.

I am not 100% sure why Weir had to go. There was alot of speculation but as far as I know, no official comfirmation from either Tori or tptb. I think Tori has talked about it at cons and such but I haven't seen much if she has.
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

The sad part is, Torri didn't mind being stepped down to a recurring role. She seemed more upset that she was told at the last minute as she was planning to move if not returning as a full time regular. She said good things about her fourth season role. I just hate that "Be All My Sins Remember'd" was nothing more than a cameo. She was open to returning in the fifth season, but she declined due to the script. I don't blame her, but I wish she had at least suggested a script revision.

In Star Trek: Voyager, an ex-regular was brought back three years after having been written out. She was going to be killed off at the end of the episode. The actress convinced the writers to let her rewrite the ending so her character would stay alive. I wish Torri had been given this kind of treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                    The producers had apparently wanted Amanda Tapping to be in SGA, but she stayed with SG1 until the 10th season, which was SGA's third season. She still had one year on her contract left at that point, and the producers (according to stuff I've read in numerous items) decided they wanted her to be on SGA. So they ditched Elizabeth and had Sam Carter replace her. Then at the end of Season 4, Amanda had to make a decision to either stay with SGA or move on to her "Sanctuary" project, and she chose Sanctuary, and Sam's character was replaced with Richard Woolsey.

I've never heard a good explanation as to why Carson was killed. Other than the producers really like Jewel Staite, having seen her in Firefly, and working with her on the SGA episode where she played a young female wraith. Since she came in within three episodes later of Carson being killed off, it seems pretty obvious that they removed him to replace him with Keller.

All this information has been around GW numerous times in numerous threads.

Comment

It's always been said that Carson was killed for shock value and to shake up the cast.

I remember way back in SG-1's ninth or tenth season reading that the writers wanted to split up Tapping's twenty episodes evenly across SG-1 and Atlantis. Though they've said they hadn't decided on who the new commander would be in the fourth season, I absolutely buy that Weir was written out specifically to make room for Carter. Didn't SciFi press for an SG-1 character to be transplanted to SGA once SG-1 was cancelled?

Comment

Weir was a train wreck of a character, unsalvageable in my view. They'd written her into the ground by using her as utility character and the only real way to correct that mistake was to off her. I believe Carson was probably killed off for the same reason Fraiser was. They wanted a big death, but not one of the main team, they wanted to inject jeopardy without without ruining the team dynamic, and the regular doctor characters provide the perfect balance between the two.

Comment

Actually, it is true that the writers hate us all and want us to suffer.

*looks around suspiciously*

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            Weir was a train wreck of a character, unsalvageable in my view. They'd written her into the ground by using her as utility character and the only real way to correct that mistake was to off her.
                            Train wreck, unsalvageable, written into the ground... Care to elaborate? What was so wrong with Weir?

I believe Carson was probably killed off for the same reason Fraiser was. They wanted a big death, but not one of the main team, they wanted to inject jeopardy without without ruining the team dynamic, and the regular doctor characters provide the perfect balance between the two.
                            A likely conclusion. However, Carson was part of the team, much more than Fraiser was on SG-1. Where as she had been a recurring character for seven years, Beckett was recurring for the first season and then a main character for two years. I just think it's stupid to kill someone off for shock value. Due it for story reasons, not shock value.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                              Weir was a train wreck of a character, unsalvageable in my view. They'd written her into the ground by using her as utility character and the only real way to correct that mistake was to off her.
                              I have to respectfully disagree. She was in a situation that no one on Atlantis had any experience with, and she did the very best she could under those circumstances. She resisted change somewhat (but so did other characters), but she gradually changed over the three years.

As Sheppard said in "The Siege", she earned the respect of everyone on Atlantis over the first year, including his, and she deserved it in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X