Atlantis Rising: The Virtual Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
    I disagree complete on the self destruct idea being at all more plausible than this or anything else. It's completely illogical and feels more contrived than every other take I've read.
    Depends on how you set it up.

far more plausible than the US seizing Atlantis like the official novels and not have it end in WW3 or a bureaucrat bought into review the programme deciding Atlantis should go back and everyone agreeing to it, especially when her reasons are for exploration and protecting the Pegasus galaxy residence and attacking Wraith which could be achieve better by using 304s, which we can fully repair ourselves and uses power sources we can easily replenish and contain no surprises.

Todd managing to set up a self destruct why helping Mackay out on a project could turn the idea into a plausible one,
    , he conniving enough and probably desperate enough (starvation can cause that), Rodney arrogant enough to let his guard down.

For example using the idea from Atlantis rising, Todd giving Rodney the idea for writing his encryption programme in a unknown language to help protect Atlantis systems from the Lucian alliance spies, could be adapted so that Todd writes the programme and helps to install, in the process he find a old ancient self destruct system for Atlantis which he modifies for his own purposes.

The idea that anyone in the right mind would allow Atlantis to leave earth is just to implausible for me. If Atlantis ever go back to the Pegasus galaxy it would have to be the very last option available.

Another option requiring a lot more set up story wise, would be Atlantis having to be use to mount a rescue opt using wormhole drive as no other vessel is fast enough to get there but then again a lot of lives would have to be at risk to make it worth while.

One option I always consider is a coup d'etat by the team with Todd help and they Hijack Atlantis and take it to the Pegasus Galaxy.

But Earth would never give up a Atlantis willingly never.
    Last edited by knowles2; 09 June 2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I absolutely LOVED this. It could easily have been an episode, and the characters were all spot-on. You actually made me like Keller, which is a really huge accomplishment.

spoilers
      Spoiler:
      • It was great to see Nancy again. I liked her, and it makes sense in canon that her poking around for John in Outcast could have gotten her involved with Homeworld security instead of just Homeland.
      • It was nice to see Kanaan. Poor guy got more lines here than his entire run on SGA.
      • Your original character, Mayel, seems interesting and I was actually sad to read that the other people didn't make it. I usually don't feel sadness for "red shirt" types so you did a good job.
      • Woolsey impressed me. I liked him on the show, and you deal with him well here.
      • Fun action, fun character moments, and fun political drama.

Excellent work! I'm looking forward to more.

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
        And i went looking for this earlier, and enjoyed what i read so far (interesting angles so far), so kudos Falcon Horus and i wish you and your team the best of luck!
        Thank you.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          I think we might want to amend that note on criticism to add that we value genuine discussion and constructive criticism, but not petty nitpicking.

Speaking of which...

I don't consider that nitpicking at all, but rather canon fact-checking. So you're safe. Hmm, I seem to recall pointing out those issues in my continuity read through, so I'm not sure how they slipped through into the final draft. Anyway, thanks for letting us know, and we'll see if we can get those fixed ASAP.
          well thanks. I really did it enjoy the very episode.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

far more plausible than the US seizing Atlantis like the official novels and not have it end in WW3 or a bureaucrat bought into review the programme deciding Atlantis should go back and everyone agreeing to it, especially when her reasons are for exploration and protecting the Pegasus galaxy residence and attacking Wraith which could be achieve better by using 304s, which we can fully repair ourselves and uses power sources we can easily replenish and contain no surprises.

Todd managing to set up a self destruct why helping Mackay out on a project could turn the idea into a plausible one,
            , he conniving enough and probably desperate enough (starvation can cause that), Rodney arrogant enough to let his guard down.

For example using the idea from Atlantis rising, Todd giving Rodney the idea for writing his encryption programme in a unknown language to help protect Atlantis systems from the Lucian alliance spies, could be adapted so that Todd writes the programme and helps to install, in the process he find a old ancient self destruct system for Atlantis which he modifies for his own purposes.

The idea that anyone in the right mind would allow Atlantis to leave earth is just to implausible for me. If Atlantis ever go back to the Pegasus galaxy it would have to be the very last option available.

Another option requiring a lot more set up story wise, would be Atlantis having to be use to mount a rescue opt using wormhole drive as no other vessel is fast enough to get there but then again a lot of lives would have to be at risk to make it worth while.

One option I always consider is a coup d'etat by the team with Todd help and they Hijack Atlantis and take it to the Pegasus Galaxy.

Wow, you really have a lot of ideas. Maybe you should start your own virtual season. There is never too much fanfic. Then you would be able to put all your thoughts together in a coherent story that some fans might enjoy.

Of course, I'm sure you realize that our plan is just the ideas that we would like to have seen implemented. There is a lot in all of SciFi that has to be taken with a grain of salt and not literally. It's part of the fun of the genre. We're happy with the characters and arcs as we are writing them but understand that others may have different ideas.
            sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I read the first eppy. I loved it! Very well written. Looking forward to more. Keep up the good work!
              sigpic
              God Bless America

Comment

Thanks, everyone, who is reading the series and commenting! We had fun planning and plotting it and I hope everyone enjoys the stories that are to come. I'm one of the other writers on the series and RTP I was one I penned, though the entire thread helped develop the plot.

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
                I absolutely LOVED this. It could easily have been an episode, and the characters were all spot-on. You actually made me like Keller, which is a really huge accomplishment.

spoilers
                Spoiler:
                • It was great to see Nancy again. I liked her, and it makes sense in canon that her poking around for John in Outcast could have gotten her involved with Homeworld security instead of just Homeland.
                • It was nice to see Kanaan. Poor guy got more lines here than his entire run on SGA.
                • Your original character, Mayel, seems interesting and I was actually sad to read that the other people didn't make it. I usually don't feel sadness for "red shirt" types so you did a good job.
                • Woolsey impressed me. I liked him on the show, and you deal with him well here.
                • Fun action, fun character moments, and fun political drama.

Excellent work! I'm looking forward to more.
                Thanks! On a few of your bullets--

Spoiler:

* I was hoping in the few scenes I had with Terra and the others to give them enough of a personality to make you at least feel sorry that they had died. Our point throughout all of this, though we will have some humorous episodes, is to still honor those dramatic character moments that made some of us fall in love with SGA. We hope to keep the action exciting, too, but we don't want to forget that there are stakes in what these guys are doing.

* Interesting tidbit on Mayel: she was developed not because we felt strongly about having an original character, but really because of something Joe Flanigan said. Believe it or not, we had a little input from him as one of our reps mentioned to him at a con that we were starting this and he had a special request for John. Mayel is a direct result of that, though I can't tell you exactly what for. Spoilers.

* Kanaan: A good portion of us really love Teyla and feel like she's been terribly underused, so there will be a large arc dedicated to her at least in the first half of our series. Kanaan, in keeping with canon, is there, and we felt the poor guy needed to at least speak somewhat to be able to be an appropriate partner for Teyla. We hope those who are fond of Teyla will like our Athosian arc.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                Wow, you really have a lot of ideas. Maybe you should start your own virtual season. There is never too much fanfic. Then you would be able to put all your thoughts together in a coherent story that some fans might enjoy.

Of course, I'm sure you realize that our plan is just the ideas that we would like to have seen implemented. There is a lot in all of SciFi that has to be taken with a grain of salt and not literally. It's part of the fun of the genre. We're happy with the characters and arcs as we are writing them but understand that others may have different ideas.
                In brainstorming this, we developed plot arcs that hopefully will entertain fans, though of course we all realize that in sci-fi, there isn't much in terms of real-life plausibility. There are so many times a suspension of reality is required to truly enjoy shows like this. I think we're trying to keep a little with the spirit of what the SG series gave us, honoring characters and canon as best we can but also acknowledging that some suspension of reality will be required in what we put down, too. We're going one way, others may go another--but we're doing what we love as best we can and that's what makes this fun.
                Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

I have to disagree. I admit, I do like the notion that SGA characters get pissed off and take/steal Atlantis back, but it's simply too OOC for me. The way it works in this particular incarnation is that Atlantis is a weapon that people want to steal, and Earth is being attacked because of it. Removing Atlantis from Earth, while still having control and access to it, seems like a precautionary measure. They can bring it back as quickly as any of their ships (a few days at full power using the stardrive) if Earth is under any serious threat.

One could make the arguement that after the events of TR II (when they ended up with a full compliment of ZPM's) that they should have fired up the stardrive (after it was fixed) and flown the city back to Earth. The fact that they didn't says to me that TPTB thought there were good reasons to be in Pegasus.
                  sigpic

Comment

The second episode is being posted as I type this - Return To Pegasus, part 2

Comment

Wow, this is really well written!! And finally you give those poor underused characters of SGA something to do. I really liked how you portrayed Teyla.
                      You were able to capture the characters right from the series but there lies also the root of the problem for me not being able to really enjoy Atlantis Rising. Because from all their decisions the SGA team shouldn't be those good guys they used to be. You are making an attempt to cover this by pointing out their mistakes, Woolsey admitting that in INQUISITION, the alliance had some true points and with Mayel saying "They have a habit of abandoning those who would be allies. And sacrificing lives when it suits their needs." But the SGA character mainly seem not to see that, in fact they want to save all of the PG natives but I think if all the PG natives would consist of Genii (or other people they had problems with/didn't agree with them), the SGA team would be ok with leaving Atlantis on Earth, even though Atlantis belongs to the PG natives.

Some other points I noted:
                      Carson saying - "I know it sounds a bit boastful, but truthfully, no one has been able to ally the races of the Pegasus galaxy like Atlantis. It was part of the reason Pegasus natives were distrustful of us. Because we wielded power and influence the likes of which hadn’t been seen." - made me wonder. When did Atlantis really try to ally people? (Ok, the Travelers but that bunch of people deserved an alliance the least) It were the PG native itself who tried to make an alliance in INQUISITION.

And in this conversation:
                      Carson: “ we took on the Wraith on something of a grand scale.”
                      Nancy: “Most of that was just chance, wasn’t it?”
                      Carson: “Or ingenuity. You don’t have many Rodney McKays or Colonel John Sheppards running about. So when there are two in the same place…”

I would have preferred that the characters acknowledge that most of their achievements were more luck than anything else, because for all their mistakes and screwing up, they came away way too good in the series.

Same in line is the treatment and opinions about Todd:

Shepp: “And, personally, I don’t give much credit to the word of a starving, imprisoned Wraith.
                      Shepp: "(...) even Todd probably deserved better than this fate. Well, maybe not Todd."

For me, Todd was always a lot more honorable than the team. He never betrayed them (the incidents in MW and TLT were understandable since he was imprisoned/believed he was betrayed) but the team betrayed him on several occasions. He never got anything out of value when he worked with them. No, he even got imprisoned again and threatened to kill.
                      I'm also a bit curious of how you are going to explain that Todd survived 9 months without feeding.

About the travelers getting updated, as far as I remember they just got help to be battle ready and with repairs. From BAMSR: LARRIN: Well, they already gave us a head start when they got us battle-ready" and TLT: KATANA: Zelenka has been a big help with ship repairs. We should have her ready to fly in no time."

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      As for our new Big Bad Guys at the end of the season, let's just say that we've got something lined up that will make the Wraith look like tame little chipmunks in comparison. Be afraid. Be very afraid. *evil grin*
                      And I hopped the Wraith would finally get their well deserved place as being a real and the most dangerous threat to Atlantis and Earth.

Again I have to point out, your story is very well made and I don't want to be a spoilsport, it's just that I didn't like what happened to the characters in SGA and naturally, you have to continue with the mess that TPTB left behind for a sixth season. And of course we all want our lovable characters back and probably wouldn't be happy with characters that contemplated their wrong decisions all the time and seeing the changes they should be going through according to their decisions in S4 and 5.
                      For me, the only way to save SGA would be a reboot of SGA starting after THE SIEGE I. So I was wondering, did you also consider to do a rewrite of Atlantis? Or did you want to be as canon as possible? But I have to admit a rewrite would be a lot harder and time consuming as then one season wouldn't be enough to write.

This is my opinion alone and I hope I didn't offend you.
                      Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

I agree with the Todd and wraith thing.

The wraith were meant to be the Big Bad of the Pegasus galaxy. It's kinda disappointing that so much effort and work went into concocting something else instead of giving them a boost.

Also, while I can believe the team, for any of a number of reasons decided to ignore or justify their treatment of Todd, Sheppard's promise wasn't to shoot him just when he felt like it, but when Todd intentionally did something that endangered them all. I can't say Todd would be against what he feels is much more humane, but he's smart enough to know the exact details of Sheppard's promise.

Also, it took longer than just nine months for the Gennii to make him lose hope, Todd wouldn't help Rodney in the lab without getting something (even getting shot) out of it.
                        Price for Pain What do you mean violence isn't the answer?

Burn It All Away Blood moves the heavens. Fire purifies the land. Legends change worlds. Destiny burns.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot Fiat justitia et pereat mundus. Fiat justitia ruat caelum.

All are PG-13, each with a single act of rated R violence. Adults situations and other, tamer violence.

Ficta voluptatis causa sint proxima veris

I'm creating a fan comic and I want input from as many fans as possible. Please PM me if you want the discord link. You can also chat, show off your own creations, and rp.

Comment

very cool. I like this fanfic! it's very interesting
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

I'll give it my best shot... *takes deep breath* ...though I'm not a writer of the series, just a beta.

Originally posted by Skie View Post
                            You were able to capture the characters right from the series but there lies also the root of the problem for me not being able to really enjoy Atlantis Rising.
                            Well, we decided on continuing the series in a virtual realm, and thus that means taking what we have and go from there. Can't just go about changing a character, turn them upside down and inside out to suit the story and throw every established knowledge overboard like it has no meaning.

But that's just my opinion really...

Because from all their decisions the SGA team shouldn't be those good guys they used to be. You are making an attempt to cover this by pointing out their mistakes, Woolsey admitting that in INQUISITION, the alliance had some true points and with Mayel saying "They have a habit of abandoning those who would be allies. And sacrificing lives when it suits their needs." But the SGA character mainly seem not to see that, in fact they want to save all of the PG natives but I think if all the PG natives would consist of Genii (or other people they had problems with/didn't agree with them), the SGA team would be ok with leaving Atlantis on Earth, even though Atlantis belongs to the PG natives.
                            They have been established as the good guys in the show - and while for me personally Inquisition was indeed a bit of a failure, it is what it is really... can't much change that.

I think the need to want to save all the PG natives comes from the knowledge that we have the technology to do so. But of course, there's a big difference between wanting to save the entire galaxy and actually doing it, especially with the obstacles they have been facing. Not everyone wants to be saved by these strangers...

And no, Atlantis doesn't belong to the PG natives. Atlantis is the property of the Ancients who seeded life in the PG. The natives could be considered their legacy but they don't have the knowledge to operate the city/ship.

But I do agree that Atlantis should stay in Pegasus because it is one of the few defences strong enough to take on the Wraith.

Some other points I noted:
                            Carson saying - "I know it sounds a bit boastful, but truthfully, no one has been able to ally the races of the Pegasus galaxy like Atlantis. It was part of the reason Pegasus natives were distrustful of us. Because we wielded power and influence the likes of which hadn’t been seen." - made me wonder. When did Atlantis really try to ally people? (Ok, the Travelers but that bunch of people deserved an alliance the least) It were the PG native itself who tried to make an alliance in INQUISITION.
                            They allied with the Athosians, the kids-planet (in order to protect them I imagine), the Travelers... Carson offered up his medical expertise in a Doctor-Without-Borders fashion.
                            There was the big allience in BAMSR when they attacked the Asurans.

They didn't try to make an alliance in Inquisition - they were putting the team on trial for what they had done to the PG natives. They were (rightfully) blamed for a lot of the bad things that happened - like waking the Wraith, and altering the programming of the Asurans.

And in this conversation:
                            Carson: “ we took on the Wraith on something of a grand scale.”
                            Nancy: “Most of that was just chance, wasn’t it?”
                            Carson: “Or ingenuity. You don’t have many Rodney McKays or Colonel John Sheppards running about. So when there are two in the same place…”

I would have preferred that the characters acknowledge that most of their achievements were more luck than anything else, because for all their mistakes and screwing up, they came away way too good in the series.
                            Mmm... I guess you're right, but I doubt you'll ever hear Rodney say that what he accomplished was by sheer luck.

For me, Todd was always a lot more honorable than the team. He never betrayed them (the incidents in MW and TLT were understandable since he was imprisoned/believed he was betrayed) but the team betrayed him on several occasions. He never got anything out of value when he worked with them. No, he even got imprisoned again and threatened to kill.
                            I think as far as Todd is concerned -> The enemy of my enemy is my friend, doesn't mean that you trust them inexplicably. They don't trust Todd as far as they can throw him, while Todd just makes use of his resources. He takes what he can and is not afraid to use whatever information he has on Atlantis to get what he wants. It's actually quite astounding they haven't offed Todd yet for the things he knows.
                            And if Todd cared about it that he never really got anything out of him working together with the expedition he would just have stopped. He obviously sees something beneficial in this working relationship or he would have have given up a long time ago.

I'm also a bit curious of how you are going to explain that Todd survived 9 months without feeding.
                            One has got to wonder...

And I hopped the Wraith would finally get their well deserved place as being a real and the most dangerous threat to Atlantis and Earth.
                            The Wraith are indeed (or were) formidable enemies - but they can't just be the only ones. That would be ridiculous at best.

So I was wondering, did you also consider to do a rewrite of Atlantis? Or did you want to be as canon as possible? But I have to admit a rewrite would be a lot harder and time consuming as then one season wouldn't be enough to write.
                            I don't think there was ever talk about a rewrite. We always talked about continuing with a virtual season 6. There was a lot of discussion about what that would be like, and settled with a canon approach.

But there's no one stopping you from doing a reboot... I'd gladly read your take.

This is my opinion alone and I hope I didn't offend you.
                            Thank you for the input! Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              I'll give it my best shot... *takes deep breath* ...though I'm not a writer of the series, just a beta.
                              Which means the writers hate you and don't listen, the readers don't know you, you can't ''meddle'' too much, no one returns your calls and you don't get paid!! Tough job, but someone's got to do it!

Chapter Two shaping up okay, but the Ronon/Teyla/ Mayel talk was a bit clunky. It was a massive information dump, and sort of awkward because the characters were cold and didn't react much to the 'news' and tbh, it changed absoutly nothing; Ronon and Teyla were going no matter what Mayel told them!

But on the plus side: FUN! Still enjoying it, and its never a good idea to jump into the middle of a Wraith fleet unannounced ("Oh hai there!!")
                              [''... I laugh at your reality..''][ STARGATE FAN COMIC: 'Hallowed Turf' ] [-DeviantArt-] [ ".... and a seagull."]

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Choo1701 View Post
                                Which means the writers hate you and don't listen, the readers don't know you, you can't ''meddle'' too much, no one returns your calls and you don't get paid!! Tough job, but someone's got to do it!
                                Yup, that pretty much covers it.

Comment

Working...
                                X